Author Topic: Tire plug kit  (Read 783 times)

zahc

• friend
Tire plug kit
« on: March 13, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »
I'm shopping for a plug kit for car tires. I have a portable pump, but it's no good if I can't patch a nail hole. Something small to fit in a glovebox, but that will actually work. You can buy plug kits all day long but I don't want to really need it and find out it's not a good one. Is there a brand that off-roaders or ATV people trust?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Tire plug kit
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 02:50:59 PM »
I've been using this one on my farm equipment to good result. Too big for your glove box, but they might make a smaller version.

https://www.amazon.com/Boulder-Tools-Motorcycle-Trailer-Puncture/dp/B01E635PGA?ref_=ast_sto_dp
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 02:55:27 PM »
I've used the cheap ones available at Walmart.  The last one I bought had patches and plugs, and advised the plugs were only to be used for a temporary repair.  I used one that held up for a couple thousand miles (car tire, road only) after a nail showed up shortly before new tires were due.  I don't really know of different grades of kits other than to make sure the glue is fresh.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:01:11 PM »
The plugs I've used before on car tires were either Camel or Truflate (don't remember which)  They held up just fine as a permanent repair.  I think the kit had a rasp for cleaning the hole and a T-handle for inserting the plug (and some glue and cord-like plugs, use the glue even tho' there's glue on the plugs already)
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 03:03:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6fTWaj3QE

Get the gooey black plugs, not the dry brown ones.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 03:54:49 PM »
Yes the gooeyblack plugs and the t handle tool. A tube of rubber cement will lube for install and help seal it.

I've ran tires until they were out with up to four plugs in them.

On my ten ply truck tires I run the hole to the top and use a pry bar to help install. I don't have the strength anymore to push them by hand.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 04:26:15 PM »
I got mine at Walmart, this kit here- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-T-handle-Tire-Tackle-Kit-for-Flat-Tire-Repair-9pc-20133/16782763 . I've used it a few times. Has worked just fine and the case is nice for keeping everything together. No cement, but I've patched several tires with the plugs from the kit and had no issues due to lack of cement. Toss it in the glove box with a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers and you're good to go.

Plugs can theoretically be more prone to failure than patches, and while I've seen where a plug didn't get a good seal and needed to be redone I don't recall ever experiencing or seeing where a plug formed a solid repair only to later randomly fail. I'm sure it's possible, but then so is your tire falling off cause you didn't torque the wheel nuts to spec.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 11:14:35 PM »
Got a rope plug kit at the auto parts store years ago.

Finally used the last one on a friend's tire maybe a year ago. I need to buy another one.

I used several on my cars over the years and never even gave a thought about replacing the tire. Never had a rope plug leak, either.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 11:16:48 PM »
I’ve plugged way too many tires and never an issue. Best plug kit is a Safe T seal (big metal tools) I have one rated for heavy equipment and tractor trailer tires.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 01:29:04 PM »
I’ve plugged way too many tires and never an issue.

Same here. Never worried about the brand name.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 09:07:24 AM »
On a related note: what do people use for a portable air compressor? I have a Slime but it has a tendency to blow the fuse on the compressor every other time it's used. I bought it many years ago and admittedly, it's probably the cheapest model they make. Nonetheless, having to change the fuse is a pain. Any recommendations for a reliable portable air compressor would be greatly appreciated.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 09:12:43 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »
I bought a little Hausfield Campbell 12 volt damned close to 20 years ago when I bought my first Subaru. Got it on sale at Home Despot.

It's been good, but it does take awhile to air up the tire and the pressure gauge isn't accurate. IIRC it reads 10 pounds more than actual tire pressure.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 09:31:28 AM »
I have a Slime as well, purchased based on APS recommendations:

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40026-Heavy-Direct-Inflator/dp/B005Z8HAUK?ref_=ast_sto_dp

In one way it's a hassle because it uses battery clips instead of a lighter plug, but I think less chance of blowing fuses.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 11:17:41 AM »
I have the little Slime compressor that plugs into the lighter (or whatever it's called these days). Love it. Works flawlessly. No fuse issues.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »
I have a Slime as well, purchased based on APS recommendations:

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40026-Heavy-Direct-Inflator/dp/B005Z8HAUK?ref_=ast_sto_dp

In one way it's a hassle because it uses battery clips instead of a lighter plug, but I think less chance of blowing fuses.

I'd say pretty much zero chance of blowing a fuse in the car because you're not drawing power through the car's electrical system.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 12:46:42 PM »
I'd say pretty much zero chance of blowing a fuse in the car because you're not drawing power through the car's electrical system.

I was more talking about the stupid cigarette plug. I have a seed spreader and a sprayer for my ATV that use the 12v socket*, and they are always blowing their fuses. I wish I could find a really high quality 12v plug, but all the ones on Amazon seem to be the same cheap ones made by the same Chinese place, all with different names.

*They came bare wired, so I could put battery clamps on them, but getting to the ATV battery is a pain, so I just put the 12v plugs on them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 03:45:09 PM »
Oh! That's just their subliminal way of reminding you of the dangers of smoking.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
I was more talking about the stupid cigarette plug. I have a seed spreader and a sprayer for my ATV that use the 12v socket*, and they are always blowing their fuses. I wish I could find a really high quality 12v plug, but all the ones on Amazon seem to be the same cheap ones made by the same Chinese place, all with different names.

I would wire up a robust dedicated harness with an inline fuse if you weren’t on the other side of the country I could do it in a jiffy no problem

*They came bare wired, so I could put battery clamps on them, but getting to the ATV battery is a pain, so I just put the 12v plugs on them.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!