Author Topic: Long term effects of Covid?  (Read 893 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Long term effects of Covid?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 01:14:49 PM »
I caught the bioweapon in NOV, 2020. Sick for a week, very lethargic for two weeks, then I thought I was over it. A month later, I discovered I had lost my sense of smell. I still don't have any sense of smell to speak of. I've been doing olfactory therapy, but haven't seen any real results yet.

Some research I have read suggests that if you don't get your sense of smell back within 6 months, you may never fully recover. Other research seems to think it can return after a longer period. I'm rooting for the latter research.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 01:25:23 PM »
On the bright side, the next time Steve tangles with a skunk it won't be that much of an issue for you.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 01:32:42 PM »
There is some interesting literature coming out now about the 'long-haul' symptoms of some people who contracted COVID.  Five years from now, will there be recognized syndromes or complications known to affect some people? I bet there will be.  My niece, a hospital RN, contracted COVID on her nursing floor along with eight of her colleagues.  She still has inexplicable bouts of tachycardia that were not present before.  The cardiologists are adopting a 'wait and see' approach.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »
On the bright side, the next time Steve tangles with a skunk it won't be that much of an issue for you.

=D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »
My sense of smell is mostly back to normal.  There are a few things that are still a little bit muted, but nothing terrible.

It would not surprise me if some people have long-term, serious negative effects from COVID.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »
As I have stated before I believe in 10-20 years one of the differentials for chronic conditions will be a Covid induced complication, i.e, Covid Lung, Covid Heart, Covid Brain (for unexplained neurological symptoms). That is one of the main reasons I am opting for the vaccine as soon as it is available to me. I believe the short term effects from the vaccine outweigh the possible long tern effects from the disease.

bob

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 07:00:31 PM »
As I have stated before I believe in 10-20 years one of the differentials for chronic conditions will be a Covid induced complication, i.e, Covid Lung, Covid Heart, Covid Brain (for unexplained neurological symptoms). That is one of the main reasons I am opting for the vaccine as soon as it is available to me. I believe the short term effects from the vaccine outweigh the possible long tern effects from the disease.

bob
Are you factoring in the unknown, possible long term side effects of vaccines that were rushed through testing?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »

Are you factoring in the unknown, possible long term side effects of vaccines that were rushed through testing?

Yes I am.

I believe if there are any presently unknown side effects from the vaccine they could possibly, most probably, be less debilitating than the actual disease. That is my personal take on the vaccine vs  disease.

As a species we subject ourselves to vaccines and medications that have could very well kill us or cause any number of debilitating effects that would cause a life long health issue. This is really no different in my opinion. I spent many years in the military and was vaccinated against a ton of diseases I would not want. I put this vaccine in that category, something I will take to possibly prevent contracting the disease and having a severe case that causes a debilitating illness down the road, or even kill me before I get down the road.

bob

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 08:40:39 PM »
Yes I am.

I believe if there are any presently unknown side effects from the vaccine they could possibly, most probably, be less debilitating than the actual disease. That is my personal take on the vaccine vs  disease.

As a species we subject ourselves to vaccines and medications that have could very well kill us or cause any number of debilitating effects that would cause a life long health issue. This is really no different in my opinion. I spent many years in the military and was vaccinated against a ton of diseases I would not want. I put this vaccine in that category, something I will take to possibly prevent contracting the disease and having a severe case that causes a debilitating illness down the road, or even kill me before I get down the road.

bob
Sounds like a well reasoned approach to me.  Being at the near end of my useful life, having been exposed to many toxins during and since my time in the military, I'll take my chances with the Covid.  We live a quite secluded and quiet life and I don't normally take chances, so avoiding the Covid is not a big deal to us.  The vaccine and science behind gene alteration is not acceptable to me, so I will continue to decline offers.  The VA was trying to get takers for their excess shots last week and I declined.  If someone makes it mandatory or conditional, I will deal with it then.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 12:03:12 AM »
Gramps, I’m thinking the same thing.  I’m 55, in good health (maybe a few lbs overweight) and have been subjected to numerous vaccines including anthrax in the past.  I signed up for the vaccine thru the VA for April 4th but am thinking about canceling due to personal preference.  Like you, if my employer makis it mandatory, or travel is restricted without it, I’ll decide my next move then.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 05:00:45 AM »
I take the opposite view of you gentlemen. If I were older or in a risk category for covid and had not had it yet I would jump at the chance for the vaccine.

As I am not in an age or health category that is at great risk, and have already gotten over covid once (with, admittedly the potential for downstream impacts - though I doubt it in my case, as I believe most of those impacts will accrue to people with serious inflammation-related scarring of heart and lung tissue of a severe case versus the minor symptoms I had), the vaccine presents mostly downside risks with few potential upsides.

For my kids, doubly so.

Immediate term impacts of the mRNA vaccine are pretty well understood. Some minor risks, but way less than the disease. The long term risks are absolutely not understood and anyone who says otherwise is lying and probably selling you something, but my fears of the mRNA vaccine would be things that would take a long time to kill me.

I’ve got an evidence-free and frankly baseless worry that this mRNA hacking will result in increased cancer risks down the road.  A minor issue if I’m likely to die of other causes long before that could get me, but a bigger concern if it has more time to develop.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 07:49:03 AM »
^
"A minor issue if I’m likely to die of other causes long before that could get me, but a bigger concern if it has more time to develop. "

Time.  Your dependent variable.

Independent variable: Getting the shot or not.

If you don't get the shot, you may contract the disease next week and die soon or five years hence.,

If you do get the shot, you won't die immediately but may die from the cancer (or whatever) you are only hypothesizing five years from now.

The "five years" is a arbitrary number you can take to mean any long term period.  Fear, whether reasoned or unreasoned, is another independent variable in this analysis, but not addressed herein.

Decision:  Get the shot.

If anyone posts a Spock image at this point, Ah swayuh Ah'l  come and gitcha.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 08:41:30 AM »
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/college-athletes-experienced-heart-damage-after-covid-19-study-67929

Long story short, Ohio State did an evaluation of student athletes who had gone through COVID, 15% had myocarditis, and 30% showed signs of cardiac damage. 

I haven't has COVID, as far as I know.  I say that because my oldest son has a blood test and showed antibodies consistent with having had COVID in May/June of 2020, and he was living with us at that time.  He never had a symptom.

I'm getting the first shot Thursday.  Pfizer, because it's what they have.  I don't really want the vaccine.   I worry about the risks.  I am getting the vaccine because I work in a risky environment.  Lots of people in and out all day, many who aren't living the most healthy and hygienic lifestyle.  With all of the risks associated with COVID, I believe that in my situation, the risks from COVID are greater than the risks from the shot.  Besides, like you guys said, I believe at some point it will be required, or at least required to travel. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 08:53:07 AM »
I will say that the bright side of having had covid at my age with only the one (AFAIK) annoying, not debilitating, long-term symptom, I still have time to look at the research and watch the Guinea pigs getting the vaccine now.

Time is on my side regarding the decision on if I'll take the vaccine, and if so, which one comes out on top as my best choice. That, again, depends on the accuracy of research regarding my current immunity time. That seems to be changing and variable.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 09:05:44 AM »
Saw this on Instagram.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 09:30:31 AM »
If you don't get the shot, you may contract the disease next week and die soon or five years hence.,

If you do get the shot, you won't die immediately but may die from the cancer (or whatever) you are only hypothesizing five years from now.

The "five years" is a arbitrary number you can take to mean any long term period.  Fear, whether reasoned or unreasoned, is another independent variable in this analysis, but not addressed herein.

Decision:  Get the shot.
If I thought I had five years left to live I'd agree.

Also, if I've already survived the disease (for now) then the only upside for the novel mRNA vaccine is the possibility that it has a better capacity for protecting me going forward than my natural antibody response to the actual virus - something that I'm not sure has even been tested.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 08:48:26 PM »
There is probably at least 20 years research on mRNA as vaccine/immunotherapy, Covid just kicked started the wide spread human trials.

I bet in the next 5-10 years mRNA immunotherapy is going to be replacing chemotherapy for treatment of many cancers.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536