Author Topic: Gotta love Microsoft  (Read 436 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Gotta love Microsoft
« on: March 17, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »
When they screw up -- they screw up BIG.

A friend of mine is an IT manager for the major hospital in the region. Two days ago they had a crisis -- Office 365 was down. And, since the hospital had drunk the Kool-Aid and switched over to the subscription path rather than buying masses of desktop licenses for Office 2016 or Office 2019, that meant that, basically, the hospital was out of business. Medical records weren't affected because those go through another system (EPIC), but nobody could get into any Office 365 applications.

It turns out that the problem was entirely on Microsoft. They made some change, somewhere, that borked the user permissions database. It didn't only affect my friend's hospital -- apparently it was national (or maybe even international).

I'm so glad I didn't listen to him and subscribe to Office 365. I'm a dinosaur. I want my software to be on MY computer, so I can run it when and where I want. I run a mix of Office 2019, Office 2016, and even Office 2010 (on my no-name, 32-bit Windows tablet). They are all perpetual licenses -- no subscriptions involved. I don't need my computer to call home and ask Mommy if I can use Word or Excel today.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Gotta love Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 11:52:30 AM »
*expletive deleted*it happens...We were affected by it, but it wasn't till the end of the day and we are not a 24/7 shop.  They were on it pretty quick.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »
When they screw up -- they screw up BIG.

A friend of mine is an IT manager for the major hospital in the region. Two days ago they had a crisis -- Office 365 was down. And, since the hospital had drunk the Kool-Aid and switched over to the subscription path rather than buying masses of desktop licenses for Office 2016 or Office 2019, that meant that, basically, the hospital was out of business. Medical records weren't affected because those go through another system (EPIC), but nobody could get into any Office 365 applications.

It turns out that the problem was entirely on Microsoft. They made some change, somewhere, that borked the user permissions database. It didn't only affect my friend's hospital -- apparently it was national (or maybe even international).

I'm so glad I didn't listen to him and subscribe to Office 365. I'm a dinosaur. I want my software to be on MY computer, so I can run it when and where I want. I run a mix of Office 2019, Office 2016, and even Office 2010 (on my no-name, 32-bit Windows tablet). They are all perpetual licenses -- no subscriptions involved. I don't need my computer to call home and ask Mommy if I can use Word or Excel today.

So you're running your own mailserver somewhere?  Brave man.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »
We, a multi-state healthcare system running Office 365, were effected by it.  It most notably effected Outlook and Teams.  For months now, we periodically have Outlook and Teams freezing up for 30-60 seconds at a time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 05:45:31 PM »
So you're running your own mailserver somewhere?  Brave man.

No, e-mail is an exception. But my primary production software -- office suite, Acrobat, AutoCAD, desktop publishing -- is all stand-alone, not subscription. Yes, in some cases that means I don't have the newest version, but what I have works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design