Author Topic: Flying horses...seriously...  (Read 3844 times)

digitalandanalog

• friend
Flying horses...seriously...
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »
If a pegasus were real, what kind of wing span would it have to have in order to fly?

Just wondering. What good is an imagination if you can't ask silly questions from time to time?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Flying horses...seriously...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:11:54 AM »
Dang fool silly question, anywho.  =D

I'd bet there isn't a configuration that would allow one to fly.  But then, I am not an aeronautical engineer, nor have I played on on TV.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 02:32:43 AM »
No flying animal has 4 legs and wings. Wings replace front legs, and must by necessity. If you have enough muscle to work the wings not enough would remain for the front legs. Enough for the front legs, not enough for the wings. Enough for both, too heavy.

And they'd be too heavy anyway, no hollow bones and all the other things about birds that make them light enough to fly.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:10:12 AM »
Thank you, balog, for the elementary science lesson...I am not retarded.

I want to know what kind of wingspan it would take to let a freakin' horse fly.

Gawd...some people.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 03:18:56 AM »
You ask a question based in reality, what wingspan would physically, according to the laws of physics and biology, allow a horse to fly, and then get upset when the answer, also based on the laws of physics and biology, is:

"no wingspan would do so"?

"Some people" indeed.

;/
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

castle key

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 06:15:09 AM »
Horses fly all of the time. Race horses that is. The Arabs have a huge fan base of horse racing with big purses so all of the big names have raced there.

On any given day, several hundred horses are flying. FedEx is one of the big transporters. On all flights with horses the most important piece of equipment is the euthanasis kit. Should the horse go wacky, it learns it is oon its last flight.

A 1400 pound animal with clubs at the ends of all legs could tear up a plane pretty fast. That's 1400 pounds guided by a 1 pound brain!!

So in answering the question factually, what is the wingspan of a 747. That allows a horse to fly!!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 06:19:19 AM »
Okay.... here we go.  :laugh:

An adult blue and gold macaw weighs about 1000 grams.  We'll convert it to pounds (2.20462) and round it down to make things easy- call it 2 lbs.

That same bird has a wingspan of 41 to 45 inches.  Let's call it 41 to make it easy.

If we say the average horse weighs 800 lbs, the horse (if it had a separate muscle group to make the wings work) would need a wingspan of 16400 inches (or 1366 ft) if it had a macaw-based style wing. So if the horse was about 30 inches wide at the withers (shoulders) each wing would have to be about 8180 inches long or about 681.6 feet.

Obviously if you are going to attempt to do some sort of wacked gene-splicing thing, you should probably use another kind of bird with a different wing shape  so it'll be shorter.  :angel:

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 07:14:19 AM »
Let's see here... there are two possibilities if the composition of the horse remains the same: ~40 feet, about the same as a Cessna 210, or 585 feet, compared to the weight-to-wingspan ratios of an albatross.

For aesthetic reasons, I'm inclined to say 40 feet.  Biggest problem is that you've got an engine pulling the aircraft along (though at a max of about 170mph), whereas the horse (though hopefully much slower)  has none.

Long night + no coffee = This.  I'm probably way off, but still...

Other issues would be CG, can it carry a rider, the lack of a properly-designed tail, added weight of the wings, and so on.

But my guess is about 40 feet.

"It's not a question of where he grips it logic! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird pair of wings could not carry a one pound coconut horse."
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »
Wingspan is not as important as wing area. For 1000 lbs, you would need about 200 sq feet. Assuming an aspect ratio between 5:1 and 6:1, wingspan would need to be about 33 feet, and chord would be 6 feet
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:33 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »

I want to know what kind of wingspan it would take to let a freakin' horse fly.

Gawd...some people.

You're awfully snippy aren't you?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cslinger

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »
Have you ever seen a horse take a dump??????  I don't want numerous Pegasi littering my sky.  :D

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »
birdy, birdy
in the sky,
why'd you
do that
in my eye?

I won't cry
and
I won't sigh
but
oh thank god
cows don't fly
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Iain

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 12:19:12 PM »
Wingspan is not as important as wing area. For 1000 lbs, you would need about 200 sq feet. Assuming an aspect ratio between 5:1 and 6:1, wingspan would need to be about 33 feet, and chord would be 6 feet

I know nothing about aerodynamics - but I'm guessing this calculation assumes a couple of things - non-flapping wings and a certain power to weight ratio. Am I wrong?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »
I know nothing about aerodynamics - but I'm guessing this calculation assumes a couple of things - non-flapping wings and a certain power to weight ratio. Am I wrong?
I figure so. You have a 1000lb frame and a 1-horsepower engine. What kind of wings are needed to make it fly?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 12:36:54 PM »
On a related note...

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »
On a related note...

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?  =D
The Baptist answer is simple. None. Angels don't dance, as it's a heathen invention.  :laugh:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »
Comedy gold, right here:

Umm, not to belabor the obvious, but you were the one who did indeed ask what kind of wingspan it would take to create a functional pegasus out of a horse.  ;/

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »
If a pegasus were real, what kind of wing span would it have to have in order to fly?
With the proper rockt engine? Zero!
Look, tiny text!

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »
Bedlamite had it right, surface area is important.... I really think we should work on a gliding horse first though... baby steps ya know..

I just got an idea involving a kite and my miniature dachshund... I'll let you know how it goes.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
Comedy gold, right here:

Umm, not to belabor the obvious, but you were the one who did indeed ask what kind of wingspan it would take to create a functional pegasus out of a horse.  ;/

So, um, asking a hypothetical question makes someone retarded?  You stay classy, guy.  Oh, wait.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »
Dannyboy, you miss the point.

Don't get pissy if you ask a question of that sort, and get the type of responses that followed.

It's only fair, in all honesty.

Rocketman's assessment was spot-on.

And this thread has far outlived its usefulness.