Author Topic: Clearing a hard drive, but not the OS?  (Read 3829 times)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Clearing a hard drive, but not the OS?
« on: December 12, 2009, 02:07:47 AM »
How does one... well, clear a hard drive, but not the OS?  I know the easy way is to just "Install Ubuntu," but this is going to be sold to someone who has absolutely no interest in anything other than XP. 

Everything I need is already copied to a couple of USB flash drives.

Requirements:
100% legal.
OS remains XP.
Some programs (that I pick and choose) must be able to remain, untouched and fully operational.

Any ideas?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Clearing a hard drive, but not the OS?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 02:32:50 AM »
Can you re-install the OS?  Is that something you know how to do, or do you have the install or restore disk? 

What are you trying to "clear"?  Documents?  Passwords?  Browser history/cookies?  All of the above? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 03:57:35 AM »
Can you re-install the OS?
Not without purchasing another copy of XP.
Is that something you know how to do, or do you have the install or restore disk?
I know (basically) how to do it, but even brand-new this laptop didn't come with any software disks I know of.
What are you trying to "clear"?  Documents?  Passwords?  Browser history/cookies?  All of the above?
All of the above, plus old unused user accounts, mere hints (whatever) to old files, and so on.

Basically, I want to remove everything I can, including sensitive files/ data/ "temporary" internet files, but leave a somewhat-custom package of maintenance software.

[tinfoil]  :P
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:13:38 PM »
Anyone?   =|
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:25:49 PM »
There's no need to buy another copy of XP  Surely someone has an XP disk you can borrow.  Jot down the product key of your current install, wipe the drive, run a fresh install with your old product key, then return the disk to its rightful owner.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »
Any ideas?

Uninstall any programs that aren't moving.  Create a new admin profile. Using the new admin profile, delete all the other profiles.
If you have a tendency to store data elsewhere, such as off the root of the drive (C:\ and such), delete them.

Install a program that does a 'freespace wipe'.  Make sure it wipes the swap file.

Unless you have a worm caching data, that should do it.

Erasing the whole drive is the 'quick and sure' method, the equivalent of 'nuking it from orbit', vs a targeted strike with smartbombs.  But it is possible to perform limited wipes.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 01:53:10 PM »
I think Firethorn gave you a more detailed suggestion than I was about to.  I'll just second the vote for a free space wiping program.  I use BCWipe.  (Which I see is no longer free. Hmmmm...)  I discovered it when I was selling an old external hard drive.  After deleting everything I ran an undelete program and found hundreds of files still sitting there.  Including stuff I'd deleted long ago.  I knew intellectually that when you delete a file it doesn't just disappear but that really brought it home.  I ran BCWipe to wipe the free space.  After that the undelete program didn't turn up anything.  Not a single stray file.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »
There's no need to buy another copy of XP 

If you need the Home or Professional version, I'd be happy to burn you a copy. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 04:57:54 PM »
Some programs (that I pick and choose) must be able to remain, untouched and fully operational.

Any ideas?

Log in as administrator, delete your account and your profile ("c:\documents and settings\<your user name>").  That will get all your personal files (you're not putting anything anywhere else than your "My Documents", are you?) and temp inet files.

Not without purchasing another copy of XP.

Use whatever XP install media is at hand for the version you have a license for (Ho or Professional.  Unlikely you're using Embedded or Tablet.  Media Center might be hard to find.).  Run through the activation process and activate using the license key on the sticker that should be on your computer.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »
Log in as administrator, delete your account and your profile ("c:\documents and settings\<your user name>").  That will get all your personal files (you're not putting anything anywhere else than your "My Documents", are you?) and temp inet files.

I've had programs that saved stuff in all sorts of weird places, including subfolders of the programs directory. If it were me, I'd do a global wildcard search for all docs, pdfs, jpgs etc. as well as proprietary extensions (like your Quicken data if you use that -- it has a weird extension but contains all your financial data) just to be sure. Actually if it were me I'd wipe and reinstall.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 06:40:31 PM »
You can clear the hard drive of anything but the O/S using the methods outlined by others in this thread, but that begs two more issues that must be considered.

1)  The drive will likely not boot in the next PC it is installed in without jumping through a lot of technical hoops.  Chipset and other hardware drivers will be an issue unless it goes into essentially an identical machine.

2) Copyright violation.  That copy of XP was intended to be installed on one computer and no more.  Are you intending to transfer the Certificate of Authenticity to your friend along with the drive?
It was my understanding that we do not advocate illegal activity on APS.  Despite the contempt many hold for MS and their products, violating copyrights is illegal.

Just sayin...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »
Depending up the age of the computer, the Certificate of Authenticity should be on the computer and therefore transfer with the computer.

I use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall any program that I want to remove for good.  Just a word of warning if you see an application that you don't see in the add/remove programs research it on your favorite search engine first before uninstalling since you actually may remove a semi-critical program (i.e. PC Health).

http://www.revouninstaller.com/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »
Look for the COA sticker on the computer somewhere.

If it's there, see what version of Windoze it's authorized for.

Have Fistful burn you a copy of that version, and install away.

When installing, use the serial from the computer's COA sticker, and you'll be perfectly fine.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 11:40:32 PM »
RocketMan,

I think he's giving/selling the whole computer, not just the drive.  I think.  

even brand-new this laptop didn't come with any software disks I know of.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 11:53:22 PM »
The little holographic COA sticker is there, and for Windows XP Home Edition.  =)

I'll try everything stated here, from wildcard searches, new admin profile, freespace wiping, etc.

You can clear the hard drive of anything but the O/S using the methods outlined by others in this thread, but that begs two more issues that must be considered.

1)  The drive will likely not boot in the next PC it is installed in without jumping through a lot of technical hoops.  Chipset and other hardware drivers will be an issue unless it goes into essentially an identical machine.
Hard drive is remaining with the laptop.  Whole thing is being sold as one unit.

2) Copyright violation.  That copy of XP was intended to be installed on one computer and no more.  Are you intending to transfer the Certificate of Authenticity to your friend along with the drive?
Yep.  Nothing illegal being done.  One copy of XP with one number for one person, with prior owner (me) using a new (blech) MS OS.
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 01:39:46 AM »
D is wondering about putting the iso file on filedroper.com.  He wondered if that would be legal.  It seems to me it would be.  But then, if it were, it would already be available somewhere.   ???

My other idea was to put it up temporarily on a crappy little web site I made for a class last semester.  Could I just put it in the same folder and make a link to it, or is there something huge I'm missing?  Still doesn't seem to address the legal issues.

But before I get ahead of myself, how do I make an iso file from the CD?  I've copied install disks before, and burned iso's to disk, but never done the reverse.  Would Windows 7 have a program to let me do that, or do I need to download something? 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:50:26 AM by Droop the Unfathomable »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 02:02:10 AM »
The little holographic COA sticker is there, and for Windows XP Home Edition.  =)

Then you are home free.  Does it say "OEM" anywhere on the COA?  If it does, it's probably easier just to beg/borrow a copy of an OEM install disk and use the product key on the COA sticker. 
If the COA is for a retail version, then you will need a copy of a retail install disk.  The two versions are not compatible from an installation standpoint. 
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 02:23:41 AM »
If the COA is for a retail version, then you will need a copy of a retail install disk.  The two versions are not compatible from an installation standpoint. 

Seriously?  I installed XP on an HP using a Dell install disk.  I've installed on a Dell using an OEM disk.  The only problem was that I had to download a driver from the HP web site.  Unfortunately, it was the network card driver, so I had to use another machine for the download.  But still.

The Home Ed. disk I have is OEM.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 02:35:52 AM »
Seriously?  I installed XP on an HP using a Dell install disk.  I've installed on a Dell using an OEM disk.

Exactly.  The Dell and HP disk are a type of OEM installation disk.  The COA on a Dell or HP will say OEM someplace, as in "Original Equipment Manufacturer".
And a regular OEM WinXP disk, the type sold to system builders, will install to a Dell or HP using the product key on their OEM COA.  See this where it says OEM?

Not so much a retail box version WinXP disk, though.  A retail box version is what you might find in the software department at Target, Staples, Fry's or another store.  It can run you as much as $200 at some places, versus the $90 for an OEM version.  That's if you can still find it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:40:30 AM by RocketMan »

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 02:39:16 AM »
Exactly.  The Dell and HP disk are a type of OEM installation disk.  The COA on a Dell or HP will say OEM someplace, as in "Original Equipment Manufacturer".
And a regular OEM WinXP disk, the type sold to system builders, will install to a Dell or HP using the product key on their OEM COA.  See this where it says OEM?

Not so much a retail WinXP disk, though.  A retail version is what you might find in int he software department at Target, Staples, Fry's or another store.  It will usually run you about $200 or so, versus the $90 for an OEM version.
No "OEM" on the sticker.

Nuts.  =(
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 02:42:13 AM »
No "OEM" on the sticker.

Nuts.  =(

Just track down a retail box version of the WinXP CD to borrow.  That will install.  Sometimes you can get used ones on FleaBay sans COA for cheap.  Just make sure it's the retail box version.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
One possibility, Dionysusigma, is that it is an OEM copy, but it does not say so on the sticker.  Is the target PC a major manufacturer's machine?  Dell, HP, eMachines, Gateway, etc.?  If so, the COA is probably an OEM version.
If it's a custom box someone put together, then it may well be a retail box version COA.

You won't lose anything but a little time if you try to install using the wrong version.  There will just be an error message when you try to enter the product key, and it won't let you go any further.  Then you will know you have to get the other type of install disk.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 06:04:31 PM »
So why in the world would there be an OEM version for "system builders" and a not-so-OEM version for "retail boxes"?  ???

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 06:31:58 PM »
Aside from the RAM and wireless card, it's a bone-stock Dell Inspiron 4150.
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 07:10:08 PM »
Aside from the RAM and wireless card, it's a bone-stock Dell Inspiron 4150.

Suprisingly, I just turned off my bone-stock Dell Inspiron 4150.  If you like, I could make you  copies of the original Dell installation disks.  I think I have them around here someplace.
Otherwise, any OEM Windows XP Home Ed. disk can be used to reinstall a copy on that laptop.  The COA is an OEM version even though it doesn't appear on the sticker.  The most current drivers can be downloaded from the Dell website.