Author Topic: Sleep in tomorrow  (Read 3838 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Sleep in tomorrow
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:10:43 PM »
Don't need to get up early and go sit out in the cold looking for deer.

I shot a little forkie whitetail buck this morning.  He's all cut up now but not run through the grinder yet.

This was another "either-either" season.  I actually thought this one was a doe and didn't even realize that it was a whitetail instead of a muley until he ran after being hit.  Crazy - he went about 80 yards and then jumped into the middle of a big juniper and landed there dead.

Not much of a prize, but the last couple years I messed around and didn't shoot thinking I would have another or better chance later in the season, and then the clock ran out on me and I didn't get anything at all.

A few mornings ago, there was a nice muley buck across the coulee, standing just so the power line appeared to run right down his back.  I should have been able to shoot a foot or so under the wire, but I held my fire.  It would be just too hard to explain to the co-op why I shot my neighbor's power line  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Sleep in tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:30:31 AM »
A few mornings ago, there was a nice muley buck across the coulee, standing just so the power line appeared to run right down his back.  I should have been able to shoot a foot or so under the wire, but I held my fire.  It would be just too hard to explain to the co-op why I shot my neighbor's power line
Hey did yall see that meteor last night? Strangest thing!  =D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:43:36 AM »
I have/get to wake up at 0430 to go shoot the FN 303 tomorrow.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:19:56 AM »
I get to shovel snow today instead  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 03:31:24 PM »
I shot a little forkie whitetail buck this morning.  He's all cut up now but not run through the grinder yet.

I let a similar one walk yesterday.  I still-hunted through a laurel thicket in the mountains and got within 50yds of him at the other side of a clearing, but wasn't quite comfortable with the 50yd revolver shot.  I've shot smaller targets at longer distances, but this was playing with a living creature.  I wasn't confident enough to risk botching the job.  I watched him walk away, then cut over the next ridge to meet my buddy.

The best part was that I found him while most of the hunters in the valley were lounging around in their various camps.  Sometimes it pays to go out in the middle of the day.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »
I let a similar one walk yesterday.  I still-hunted through a laurel thicket in the mountains and got within 50yds of him at the other side of a clearing, but wasn't quite comfortable with the 50yd revolver shot.  I've shot smaller targets at longer distances, but this was playing with a living creature.  I wasn't confident enough to risk botching the job.  I watched him walk away, then cut over the next ridge to meet my buddy.

The best part was that I found him while most of the hunters in the valley were lounging around in their various camps.  Sometimes it pays to go out in the middle of the day.

Chris

This buck was about that far away, but with a scoped .243 it was a dead easy shot.

Somehow he walked up that close while I was watching mule deer butts on the far hillside  ;/

It was about 9.30am - well after that golden half hour time between first (legal) light and sunrise.

Grinding meat today; still have the forequarters and scraps to do.

BTW, the last year's meat that somebody gave us smells and tastes about like roadkill moose, of which I have a lot of experience.  =(  I dunno whether they didn't cool it out right, or what  ???

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:24:52 PM »
Gun season opens here in the morning. Supposed to be 65 degrees by afternoon. Weather coming in though so I might hunt in the late afternoon.

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »
Gun season opens here in the morning. Supposed to be 65 degrees by afternoon. Weather coming in though so I might hunt in the late afternoon.

Stay safe.
Bob

Still got another week of season here, but it's ten below   :O

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »
My dad knocked this one down on Saturday

It was 180 lbs dressed. Took my brother and I 30 minutes to drag it out.

Really funny story, too.  Dad saw the deer running our way after a hunter on the other side of the pond dad was hunting near took shots at him.  He radioed us a heads up.  My brother and I were on our way out and just happened to be standing where the deer was running from the other hunter.  We spread out about 30 yards and waited.  I saw movement heading his way but I didn't have a shot.  I gave him a "psst!" and pointed.  In the time it took me to look back, I heard him fire.  When he looked in the direction I was pointing, I guess he was suddenly eye-locked with that buck at about 40 yards.  He looks to me all wide-eyed "I shot a buck, dude!" (it woulda been his first).  He starts radioing Dad, "Dad, I shot a buck!  He was looking right at me and I aimed at the chest.  We are gonna look for blood!"   "Dad!"    "Dad!"

Then, off to the other side of the pond:  *Boom!*   Dad: "Well, I just knocked him down over here."   =D =D

Poor bro took a little hit to his pride there wasn't a mark on that deer except for the hole my dad put in him.  I said the slug probably passed right through between the antlers  :laugh:
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
You are allowed to use radios?  That is a big no-no up here.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:15:21 PM »
You are allowed to use radios?  That is a big no-no up here.

Good question.  I can't find anything about it on the NYSDEC website.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BMacklem

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
Well, since we're now sharing our hunting stories, I should explain that this is only my second year out. I'm now 37, and it took me that long to get off my duff and go and get my license (funny story about that too...I was forced to take a hunters safety course because I wasn't old enough).
So I am not what you'd call an old hand at the hunting game, but I've got 30+ years of firearms experiance, so I'm more than familiar with a broad range of firearms.
Anyhow the place I've been going to is private land owned by one of my fathers friends, and he's happy to have us hunting there with him, but this year was the big disappointing one for me.
Don will only allow muzzleloading for hunting, and I agree with him 100% as to why it's more sporting to use them, and to be honest...listening to the war zone for several miles around, I think it is a VERY good thing. It seems that in the fields to the east of us that there was a 3-shot minimum at every deer, meaning that if you took a shot, you were forced to take at least 2 more...seemed that way anyways.
So last year I wasn't able to take any good shots at anything, even though we saw a few, but the ones I saw were too far away, or behind cover so I couldn't take any shots, but this year was different....at least Saturday was.
On the walk out to the stand I was going to use, I spooked up a nice racked buck (it was still o'dark thirty so I didn't even get a point count on him), and a fairly good sized doe, so I'm thinking that this was a good sign for this year. It was probably a little less than 100' from the trail as they ran out into the open field beyond, so I'm getting a good case of buck fever now.
I'm up in the stand for about 20 minutes after the first automatic fire begins half a mile away (sounded like it anyways) so it's good to go, I see the first nice pair across a field to my west (way out of range for a muzzle-loader) And I'm just sitting being patient.

I look to the north, and these two pretty doe just come trotting down along a treeline right into my line of sight, the lead doe turns to her left and follows the corn field and stops dead spot right in my shooting lane..probably about 50' from my position. I'm already turned towards her, and I think this probably has to be what I can only describe as the perfect shot opportunity.
Now as I said this is only my second year, but I'm feeling confident that I can take this shot (hell, I couldn't have missed at that point), So I use my trigger set to turn it to a hair trigger, take careful aim...breathe in....breathe out...relax...and squeeze.
I was in what Ted Nugent called "The Moment". It's that point that you know you can take the shot and KNOW that you will take that animal...you don't have to take the shot, but if you do, you just know that you drop your quarry.
I want some venison this year so I finish the squeeze, and CLICK!
The doe hears the sound (probably my intake of breath also from a misfire) so she starts to walk calmly behind some tree cover...I don't have time to fumble around in my pocket for another percussion cap, so I pull the hammer back and give the cap a little twist hoping that I didn't have it seated properly, and that a second strike would set it off, kneel down on the platform, take aim again (I had the perfect shot again at her vital zone between these two trees) I went through the breathe in and out routine, and squeezed again and CLICK!
This time they both took off running down the line and out of range.
Then of course the next two days it was miserable and wet, and I only saw ones tail as I was again heading towards my stand the next morning...and a flash of a tail way down the cornfield to the north...and not another deer all the time I was out.
Well, there's always next year.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
Don will only allow muzzleloading for hunting, and I agree with him 100% as to why it's more sporting to use them, and to be honest...listening to the war zone for several miles around, I think it is a VERY good thing. It seems that in the fields to the east of us that there was a 3-shot minimum at every deer, meaning that if you took a shot, you were forced to take at least 2 more...seemed that way anyways.

While I was sitting out by the chicken house one morning, I heard seven shots way up on the big ranch south of us.  I dunno what the hell that was all about...  ;/   My theory is that a box of shells == 20 deer  ;)

I started out muzzleloading hunting when I was young.  The I went to AK for a couple years and then my TC Hawken got stolen out of my logging camp.  :mad:  I didn't hunt for years and only started again after we moved to MT.

Unless I drive somewhere, I can only hunt on my 40 plus the neighbor's 40 when he's not here.  I take care of his place all year and he's shot a couple deer on my land, but I don't go on his place during his one week of the year to hunt.  I was up on his place when I shot this last little buck.  Anyway, I have to be very careful and really there are only a few places to safely shoot so I have to wait for a deer to appear in the right place.

I carry 3 shells in my rifle and no spares.  Really the other two shells are "just in case."  I have shot a second round just to make sure the deer didn't run off on a neighbor's place to die, but normally I just shoot one cartridge per year (if that!).

I'm not sure I want to mess with muzzleloading again, but sometimes I would like to get a Sharps just for the fun and the sport of it. :)

I'd also like to kill a deer with my Saiga (AK-type) sometime  ;)

BMacklem

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »
Yeah...I checked all my caps the next day to make sure the fulminate was in them unlike the dud that cost me my doe.
I still don't know why my father uses one of his flintlocks though.
When we got back in on Sunday, he went to clean out the pan , and had to clean out a mushy mess of powder, and then needed a toothpick to clean out the hole as well.
I just don't know if I want to go that far into it myself, but the CVA I was using is pretty darned accurate, so I'll stick with it next year.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
I never had any trouble with caps, but I did have trouble with damp powder.