Author Topic: Top 25 Oddball Interview Questions  (Read 3828 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Top 25 Oddball Interview Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »
I always liked asking "Why is a manhole cover round?"
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:14:32 PM »
"why doesn't GM build a diesel hybrid, that gets more than 75 MPG?" [tinfoil]

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »
The one I never was quite tacky enough to ask is "WTF were you thinking when you decided to come to an interview at a nice downtown office in shorts and a t-shirt?"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
Aaaannnnddddd this *expletive deleted*it is why I hate interviews.

Seriously. Companies come up with weird, convoluted questions (Wal-Mart asked me some doosies during my three interviews there during my hiring process) that really just make no sense. How about simply asking about me, my experience, education, and questions that actually relate to the job?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 02:04:46 AM »
The one I never was quite tacky enough to ask is "WTF were you thinking when you decided to come to an interview at a nice downtown office in shorts and a t-shirt?"

Priceless!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:50:25 AM »
“Given the numbers 1 to 1000, what is the minimum numbers guesses needed to find a specific number if you are given the hint “higher” or “lower” for each guess you make.”
Asked at Facebook. More Facebook interview questions.

This one actually makes sense.  It's basically a binary search algorithm, which would be handy for someone who was writing code to know.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 03:10:24 AM »
The binary search algorithm would give the maximum number of guesses needed...

I like the volleyball one, and in general all the questions of that type.  "Does this question admit the possibility of a black hole in the room/stadium?"
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:25:55 AM »
The binary search algorithm would give the maximum number of guesses needed...

Then it's primarily a critical thinking question; the minimum is one, but they can give partial credit for misunderstanding that and at least describing a reasonable means of determining the maximum, or an average.

I like the volleyball one, and in general all the questions of that type.  "Does this question admit the possibility of a black hole in the room/stadium?"

Those questions can be quite relevant to certain job types, (quickly estimating area and/or volume within a reasonable error is handy for a lot of things) and for simply determining whether the person can "reality check" what they're doing.  (I don't want the guy who thinks there are "about 20" or  "about 500" reeds on the edge of a quarter dealing with finances or inventory at all, but I'm not going to ding anybody for not knowing the exact number.)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 04:32:53 AM »
Aaaannnnddddd this *expletive deleted* is why I hate interviews.

Seriously. Companies come up with weird, convoluted questions (Wal-Mart asked me some doosies during my three interviews there during my hiring process) that really just make no sense. How about simply asking about me, my experience, education, and questions that actually relate to the job?

Actually this reminds me of some military review boards I've sat on before. Each of the folks of the board would pick a different topic to ask questions on, general Navy knowledge, current world events, etc. and we'd each pick three questions, two the person should know and a really obscure one that they likely wouldn't. The purpose was not just to see what the person knew, but how they would react and cope with an inquiry to which they did not know the answer.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »
The one I liked was when I applied for a tech support position. "My arm hurts. Tell me why."

Very relevant to the work...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 10:27:53 AM »
lol. how many people get that one wrong?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 11:10:53 AM »

Well, obviously because the manholes are round  ;/

(yeah I know - it's so they won't fall through)

Then it's primarily a critical thinking question; the minimum is one, but they can give partial credit for misunderstanding that and at least describing a reasonable means of determining the maximum, or an average.

I've forgotten all that stuff from school, but I still know that a binary search is on the average faster than a linear search assuming your database is sorted.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 12:50:51 PM »
"If you were a tree, what sort of tree would you be?"

=D

I'll be doing the preliminary interviews for my replacement in a few weeks.    >:D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 01:05:53 PM »

π n tree  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 01:36:50 PM »
π n tree  :lol:

I would wholly endorse you as my replacement.  :P
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »

=D

I'll be doing the preliminary interviews for my replacement in a few weeks.    >:D
remember to find someone slightly more incompetent less effective then you. >:D

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 02:53:28 PM »
"Where do you see yourself in ten years?"

"Scattered around my favorite squirrel hunting grounds up above Nederland CO.  That is, what cremains there are after they get done harvesting my organs."

(I'm 72, doncha know.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:58:59 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
“If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?”

Do I still have my handgun?

“How many basketball can you fit in this room”

Do I get to use a wood chipper?

“Out of 25 horses, pick the fastest 3 horses. In each race, only 5 horses can run at the same time. What is the minimum number of races required?”

Five.  I have a watch.

“You are in a dark room with no light. You need matching socks for your interview and you have 19 gray socks and 25 black socks. What are the chances you will get a matching pair? “

100%.  My wife checks that kinda thing before I leave the house.

“What do wood and alcohol have in common?”

I have both in my pants right now.

“An apple costs 20 cents, an orange costs 40 cents, and a grapefruit costs 60 cents, how much is a pear?

20 cents.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »
Do I still have my handgun?

If your handgun was shrunk with you the size of a handgun carried concealed by a guy the size of pencil, would the power generated by the tiny lil' primer and charge and bullet be sufficient to damage the blender in any way?

/another argument for .45 over 9mm...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:48:10 PM by BridgeWalker »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »
“An apple costs 20 cents, an orange costs 40 cents, and a grapefruit costs 60 cents, how much is a pear?"

A pear of what  ???

A pear of apples, a pear of oranges, a pear of grapefruit ....?   :lol:

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »

Hm.  Actually, it's a conundrum.  If you are given a "higher" or "lower" hint for each number guessed, then you can't get it right at all; there is no number that is the correct answer. Perhaps they mean if you are given a "higher" or "lower" hint for each incorrect number guessed?

Could this be why I don't have a job?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
Five.  I have a watch.

Depending on the watch, you might need three; there's no guarantee that the top three won't all be in the same race, so you need to time the top three of each race.  At any rate, a few of the common solutions I've seen neglect to take into account that you can drop the bottom two of every race.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 03:57:25 PM »
Depending on the watch, you might need three; there's no guarantee that the top three won't all be in the same race, so you need to time the top three of each race.  At any rate, a few of the common solutions I've seen neglect to take into account that you can drop the bottom two of every race.

Fine. Five: I will use timing chips.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »
Hm.  Actually, it's a conundrum.  If you are given a "higher" or "lower" hint for each number guessed, then you can't get it right at all; there is no number that is the correct answer. Perhaps they mean if you are given a "higher" or "lower" hint for each incorrect number guessed?

Even then, we're still making an assumption of integer, when only number was specified.