Author Topic: Shocked that he survived!  (Read 3839 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Shocked that he survived!
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:22:16 AM »
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/05/05/would-be-copper-thief-extremely-grave-after-hes-shocked-and-catches-on-fire/

33000 Volts. Tried to steal copper and instead got 33000 volts.

The story sounds absolutely terrible and a horrible thing to witness if you read the article...

So why am I making puns? I know it's not way for a civilized person to conduct himself, I guess I just can't resist. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Shocked that he survived!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:41:54 AM »
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/05/05/would-be-copper-thief-extremely-grave-after-hes-shocked-and-catches-on-fire/

The story sounds absolutely terrible and a horrible thing to witness if you read the article...

So why am I making puns? I know it's not way for a civilized person to conduct himself, I guess I just can't resist. 

A fair amount of wasted potential to be sure. Not to mention the media, which likes to try and promote what is simple human tragedy as some semblance of current events.

(and it's ultimately the amperage that maims/kills, but they always like to use the voltage figure...)
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
A fair amount of wasted potential to be sure. Not to mention the media, which likes to try and promote what is simple human tragedy as some semblance of current events.

(and it's ultimately the amperage that maims/kills, but they always like to use the voltage figure...)

Well, this is certainly a current event ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:51:44 AM »

Humans have the capacity to find humor in electrifying events.

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:00:58 AM »
So, are they going to charge him after he recovers ?   [popcorn]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »
Will he have the capacitance to put up a defense? Will there be be any reluctance to prosecute? I foresee no resistance.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »
One that did not survive a different circumstance...
http://fox6now.com/2012/05/06/police-investigate-co-sleeping-death-of-three-month-old-girl/
The OP is a predictable outcome from persistent dumbassery dude brought on himself.

This (quoted url) really is a tragedy of stupid parents getting their little baby killed.

To add to the punnery...

The last words he is reported to have said were, "Ohm gonna git me some coppuh!"

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 11:20:47 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
That's what happens when you conduct your affairs that way.  He should have resisted the temptation for a quick buck and generated some income in a more appropriate way.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »
Resistance is Fatal (usually)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »
 :facepalm: [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
Sorry if you've heard this one before, but I know a guy who lost an arm doing that. Not his only bout of self-destructive behavior, I'm afraid. Kind of a lifestyle for him. Still one heck of a steel-worker, though, when sober.

(Also sorry for the lack of puns.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »
I've got no witty puns, but I seem to recall we talked about this a few years back and that person was not lucky enough to survive. I recall some pretty gruesome looking pictures of what was left of him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »
I've got no witty puns, but I seem to recall we talked about this a few years back and that person was not lucky enough to survive. I recall some pretty gruesome looking pictures of what was left of him.

Might be more lucky to not survive  =|

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
Yeah, there's been ones where it looked like the leftovers of the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark, and still smoking/smoldering when press got on scene.

Collecting aluminum cans seems to be a lot safer.
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »
An individual in Ashdod once died when he was stealing rail parts from the rail. He managed not to notice the train as it appeared behind him, and, well, that went downhill fast.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 07:42:51 AM »

Tasers can go up to 100,000 volts. It's the amperage that gets you.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »
Looks like he died 18 hours after the event.

That must have been a rough 18 hours.

http://www.sbsun.com/ci_20565595/san-bernardino-copper-theft-suspect-dies

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
Many revolutions of the earth around the sun ago, my wife, an RN in the best SICU in the state, took care of such a would-be thief.  He didn't last long, and iirc, they couldn't even part him out.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
Not too long a go there was a local story of a copper thief who didn't kill himself but he did manager to burn off his fingers.  When the cops rolled up he was standing there smoking.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:26 AM »
Not too long a go there was a local story of a copper thief who didn't kill himself but he did manager to burn off his fingers.  When the cops rolled up he was standing there smoking.

Well, at least the arc-villian doesn't have to worry about leaving fingerprints any more  :lol:

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 10:07:20 AM »
Tasers can go up to 100,000 volts. It's the amperage that gets you.

Oh, I guaran-dang-tee you that a substation has more than sufficient amperage to turn you into a pile of smoking ash...    :)

I wonder if at KFC he preferred original recipe or extra crispy......

>:D

Yes, I know, I'm an evil evil man....  :)  But I find it very hard to find any sympathy for anyone who not only breaks the law, but is stupid enough to try to steal copper from a substation....   You'd think the loud, ominous "hummmmmmmmm" of all the equipment around you would give you a clue that this is not somewhere you wanna be poking around in.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:11:17 AM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »

Because "2,000 amps" just doesn't have the potential that "33,000 volts" has.

:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »
You'd think the loud, ominous "hummmmmmmmm" of all the equipment around you would give you a clue that this is not somewhere you wanna be poking around in.

Electrocution only happens on tv.

Barack Obama