Author Topic: Cell Signal Boosters?  (Read 3830 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cell Signal Boosters?
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:54:05 AM »
Anyone have any experience with them? The new building I work in is a signal blocker and it's fallen on me to get us a signal. It's a two story building and we actually get a semi-decent signal in our upstairs conference room that is mostly windows on two sides. Most everywhere else though, especially downstairs, it's zero to one bar for everyone. Stepping out of the building, my OpenSignal app shows ~70% and around -80dBm, and call and 3G quality is good. I have the ability to mount an external antenna on our roof and use a cable drop for the internal booster inside the building.

I'm looking at this at the moment:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-Booster-Includes-Directional/dp/B0023RRCP4/ref=zg_bs_2407782011_2

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with signal boosters in general
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Cell Signal Boosters?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »

Wilson's is a good choice. You can call or email their reps, and they'll walk you through selecting whatever you need. More distance between the external and internal antennas, the better.

Last cell repeater I installed needed 4G service and a large area, so I went with:
http://www.surecall.com/product/cellphonebooster/CommercialAmplifiers/62/FORCE-5-(CM5000-80)

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 10:15:54 AM »
I have tons of experience with these.

And i'm getting more than I want.

We have a few wilson units at a few buildings I work in. Antenna separation is key. Wilson stuff is pretty good. They have a new booster that is capable of boosting LTE as well.

How big is the building and what carriers are you concerned with?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »
We got a model at Best Buy a while back for a small metal office building.  It worked, but the range was limited.  I am sure there are better models.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »
Thanks for the tips on antenna separation. I did not know that, but it should not be a problem. It looks like I can get up to a good 100', The building is ~7500 square ft. A good thing is that it's designed kind of like a Roman courtyard because of the LEEDS thing for letting the building "breathe" or whatever. It basically gives me a big opening in the center of the interior of the building that exposes the internal booster to offices on both floors.

As for carriers, the .gov issued phones are Verizon, but I also want to support AT&T and Sprint. I have around a half dozen people that I've convinced to use their personal smartphones vs the gov buying them one. They just forward their gov dumb phone number to their personal phone. If I support their carriers, then I don't have to waste taxpayer money on smartphones for them.

4G would be a perk but not a requirement. 4G works well outside the building, and when they're in the building, they can access web stuff from their computers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »

They also make cell phone towers in a can. You plug them into your internet connection, and voila. Most cell phone stores use those, hence why reception and downloads there are often much faster than real world circumstances.

Example: http://www.att.com/standalone/3gmicrocell/?fbid=jXxF0qyIRVX

Cell amp is likely a better choice for you. One of the Wilson's will be fine. If Fitz has spares, buy one from him or snag another from the interwebz.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
Additional question on another kind of antenna separation. Any minimum distance concerns from other antennas? I just came back from where I am going to be able to mount it, and I will be able to put a mounting array on some conduit that will give me probably a total 4' spread. There will be other antennas mounted here. A 162MHz tuned antenna, a marine antenna in the 160MHz range, and another radio antenna in the 170MHz range, digital.

As far as I know, cells transmit on 800MHz and 1900MHz? I'm guessing at least a 1' separation will be okay, but wanted to be sure. Coax will all be running down the same conduit, but I'll be using shielded, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
Do cell service providers help out in these situations? It seems they would have an incentive to.

I know Sprint will send you a device to install in your house if you don't get service there.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:53:27 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »
No one bothered to check if cellphones would work in the building before they signed the lease/agreement??   :facepalm: :facepalm:

Oh, that's right, you work for the .gov.  Nevermind.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
Bad cell service in office buildings is more common than you might think

In many cases, good cell service in an office building is a result of some sort of geek installing the aforementioned booster system
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
No one bothered to check if cellphones would work in the building before they signed the lease/agreement??   :facepalm: :facepalm:

Oh, that's right, you work for the .gov.  Nevermind.

Brand new building built for us. The design itself would be a cell killer, as the walls are very thick and there are automatic metal shutters that overhang the windows, all part of designing the building to not need climate control.

As Fitz said, lots of buildings have bad cell service. Our last building was a Navy building that must have been built for nuclear war with the commies, because the walls were incredibly thick, and half the time I used to have to hang out my window to have a cell call in my office.

Fitz- did you use any specific GSA supplier for your Wilson equipment? If so, could you PM me their name?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
I just make the recommendations and the procurement folks handle all that stuff. And our gov guys are furloughe tomorrow but I think I have our last quote in my email box. I'll dig it out tomorrow
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
I just make the recommendations and the procurement folks handle all that stuff. And our gov guys are furloughe tomorrow but I think I have our last quote in my email box. I'll dig it out tomorrow

Thanks man!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 11:34:44 PM »
I live in a hole in the middle of nowhere. I have two Microcells set up so I can get service It took a couple of calls to get past the 911 thing with a rural route but I get full service here.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 06:22:49 AM »
Bad cell service in office buildings is more common than you might think

In many cases, good cell service in an office building is a result of some sort of geek installing the aforementioned booster system

Ayep. What Fitz said.

If you have a building of any size, it probably has bad reception. Unless it's one of those "all glass" jobbies. With mostly radio transparent internal materials and objects.

Higher the frequency, easier it is to block with mass.  (As a general rule of thumb)

Additional question on another kind of antenna separation. Any minimum distance concerns from other antennas? I just came back from where I am going to be able to mount it, and I will be able to put a mounting array on some conduit that will give me probably a total 4' spread. There will be other antennas mounted here. A 162MHz tuned antenna, a marine antenna in the 160MHz range, and another radio antenna in the 170MHz range, digital.

As far as I know, cells transmit on 800MHz and 1900MHz? I'm guessing at least a 1' separation will be okay, but wanted to be sure. Coax will all be running down the same conduit, but I'll be using shielded, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies#Carrier_Frequency_Use

700, 800, 850, 1700, 1900, 2100 and 2500 MHz, actually.  Yea, I had to look it up myself.

If you're operating at 160-170, you won't have any inherent problems unless you are cranking out more power with the cell antenna than you should be pushing. More distance is better, but 1' should be fine...  I'd prefer more. But I'm a radio dork. Again, check will Wilson for best practices and any specific questions. Coax in the conduit will be fine if shielded.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
CNY? How do you get that? I'm on Sprint and have crap cpverage at home.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
Call  and complain. You might have to try a couple times, and speak to multiple supervisors but usually they give in. Keep in mind that your home internet connection needs about a 1mb upload speed for them to work seamlessly. I'm in a dead zone with Verizon and was given a generous offer of buying one for $250. I found one new in box on eBay for half that. So even if you can't get a good rep to just send you one, there are other options.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
Ben, looks like the one we're about to buy came from ubersignal.com

Credit card purchase. Our gov CC limit is 3k, so this doesn't have to go through contracts.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 03:48:43 PM »

Higher the frequency, easier it is to block with mass.  (As a general rule of thumb)

Are you calling govt workers fat?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
CNY? How do you get that? I'm on Sprint and have crap cpverage at home.
I never got it myself.  I was told that but I can't remember by whom.  Call Sprint and tell them; see what they say.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
Ben, looks like the one we're about to buy came from ubersignal.com

Credit card purchase. Our gov CC limit is 3k, so this doesn't have to go through contracts.

Thanks Fitz! Going on my card as well.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
Are you calling govt workers fat?

As a general rule of thumb.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden