Author Topic: I'm riding in the MS150 this spring  (Read 1409 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
I'm riding in the MS150 this spring
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »
I don't mean to spam the group, but I'm riding in the MS150 this spring and need to raise at least $300.  It's been 8 years since I last participated in this event.  Nowadays, they offer a nifty web interface for people wishing to donate for a given participant.  This means I can reach out past friends/family, folks at work, random strangers on the street... Cheesy

Here's my page: http://events.msandyou.org/site/TR?px=1125141&pg=personal&fr_id=1050

Seriously though, the web interface is neat.  You can be sure the money is going to the MS Society and not being pocketed by the person collecting the funds (as has happened with other "charity" drives in the past).

I'm planning to ride the two day 100 mile route (60/40).  If I somehow get into better shape before then, I may tackle the two day 140 mile route (100/40).

Thank you for your support,
Chris

cosine

• Administrator
Re: I'm riding in the MS150 this spring
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »
Sorry, no contribution from a poor student, but good luck!
Andy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
You'd do it if I were Princess Leia. Tongue

Seriously though, thanks. Smiley

One more thing...

I'm not merely riding, I'm also volunteering communications services along with the rest of my Amateur Radio club.  Since I'll be riding with the "pack" and able to communicate directly with the sag wagon or aid stations, I can call for assistance on behalf of other riders.

Chris

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
You'd do it if I were Princess Leia. Tongue

Eh, well, that's different. grin Chivalry and all - can't do so for another guy though. Tongue

Have fun. Sounds like something I'd like to do someday (although I am no way in shape yet to ride 40 miles in a day.  shocked).
Andy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »
Bumpity bump.

I've put in a whole 30 miles in preparation.  Dang snow and ice. angry

Chris

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 06:02:27 PM »
I've put in a whole 30 miles in preparation.

*cosine drives up during the actual ride*

Hmm, you didn't get much preparation in. Need a lift?  grin

(back to the first page? Wink)
Andy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 09:47:15 PM »
Not too tough a ride, really.

My sister's been doing the MS150 every year now for the last several years.  This year she talked me into going along, since I trained with her last year but was too busy in my job search to actually make the trip.

I changed her Trek's tires from knobby to street, and installed self-sealing innertubes. 

I may not use my full-suspension disk-brake bike this year.  I found something on closeout at the local ShopKo that looks like a good way to tackle the hills in Wisconsin:  grin

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:35:10 AM »
Mtnbkr failed to mention that I'm planning on riding with him  laugh
Hey maybe we can get out saturday on a training ride.

Thread hijack warning.....
Here's my electric bike story.
I was riding up a canyon in SLC, on a very narrow and twisty little road that isn't really a road (Closed to vehicles).  I kept hearing a noise behind me I couldn't make out.  The she appeared.  A woman was catching me, slowly, on an electric bike.  About a mile later she caught and passed me....needless to say I was highly annoyed but didn't have the legs to keep up (too bad it wasn't a year later).  The thing that bugged me the most was the smell of an electric motor working way too hard.  Well, a few minutes later, there she is again.....standing next to her now dead electric bike  laugh....and at about 60lbs, it was way too heavy for her to ride any further.....

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 02:33:37 AM »
Hmm, you didn't get much preparation in. Need a lift?  grin

I'm not in that bad a shape. :p

Quote from: Gewehr98
Not too tough a ride, really...I changed her Trek's tires from knobby to street, and installed self-sealing innertubes. 

It's not hard, but I want to be in good enough shape that I can enjoy the ride.  The first time I did it, I finished it no problem, but I wasn't really enjoying myself the 2nd day.  Next time out, I was in better shape and felt great the entire time.  As for the mtb, that's what I did the first two times.  This year, I have an honest to goodness road bike. Smiley

Mtnbkr failed to mention that I'm planning on riding with him
Have you registered yet?  If not, get to it. Smiley  Everything is online now, it makes things much easier.  As for Saturday, I'm going to be out of town.  March is going to be a busy month for me.  I will have the next two weekends mostly free though.

Chris