Author Topic: Woodworking and the DIY bug  (Read 3176 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Woodworking and the DIY bug
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 09:47:49 PM »
It's weird. I can do rifle stocks with compound curves and action inletting until the cows come home, no sweat.  That 1903A4 restoration was a semi-inletted walnut blank before I got my grubby mitts on it, and it sports a red mahogany stain with 30 coats of boiled linseed oil - each coat taken down to the wood via steel wool until the grain was finally filled.  The finish is actually satin, the reflective sheen is from the Birchwood Casey stock wax. 

But when my wife wants a trestle table or bookshelf, I cringe in fear.  I cannot do joinery, mitre cuts, router shaping, or the like to save my posterior! I'd love to build a custom computer desk or two...

Someday I'll tackle that aspect of woodworking.  In the meantime, here's my 1906-vintage Remington Model 8, again with a walnut blank forend and buttstock lovingly shaped and finished by moi':

Now you're just showing off...  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Woodworking and the DIY bug
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 09:57:02 PM »
I want Mike to see it again, since it's willed to him.  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"