Author Topic: Chimpanzees 'hunt using spears'  (Read 4715 times)

Iapetus

• friend
Chimpanzees 'hunt using spears'
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »
Maybe Planet of the Apes wasn't so far fetched...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6387611.stm

Chimpanzees in Senegal have been observed making and using wooden spears to hunt other primates, according to a study in the journal Current Biology.

Researchers documented 22 cases of chimps fashioning tools to jab at smaller primates sheltering in cavities of hollow branches or tree trunks.

The report's authors, Jill Pruetz and Paco Bertolani, said the finding could have implications for human evolution.

Chimps had not been previously observed hunting other animals with tools.

Pruetz and Bertolani made the discovery at their research site in Fongoli, Senegal, between March 2005 and July 2006.

"There were hints that this behavior might occur, but it was one time at a different site," said Jill Pruetz, assistant professor of anthropology at Iowa State University, US.

"While in Senegal for the spring semester, I saw about 13 different hunting bouts. So it really is habitual."

Jabbing weapon

Chimpanzees were observed jabbing the spears into hollow trunks or branches, over and over again. After the chimp removed the tool, it would frequently smell or lick it.

In the vast majority of cases, the chimps used the tools in the manner of a spear, not as probes. The researchers say they were using enough force to injure an animal that may have been hiding inside.

Chimpanzee, BBC
Females and infants were seen hunting more frequently than adult males
In one case, Pruetz and Bertolani witnessed a chimpanzee extract a bushbaby with a spear.

In most cases, the Fongoli chimpanzees carried out four or more steps to manufacture spears for hunting.

In all but one of the cases, chimps broke off a living branch to make their tool. They would then trim the side branches and leaves.

In a number of cases, chimps also trimmed the ends of the branch and stripped it of bark. Some chimps also sharpened the tip of the tool with their teeth.

Adult males have long been regarded as the hunters in chimp groups.

But the authors of the paper in Current Biology said females, particularly adolescent females, and young chimps in general were seen exhibiting this behaviour more frequently than adult males.

"It's classic in primates that when there is a new innovation, particularly in terms of tool use, the younger generations pick it up very quickly. The last ones to pick up are adults, mainly the males", said Dr Pruetz.

This is because young chimps pick the skill up from their mothers, who they spend a lot of their time with.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Chimpanzees 'hunt using spears'
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:33:28 AM »
And female chimps need an equalizer, while the males can kill with their bare hands*.

* When not busy scratching or opening beer bottles...  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »
First smoking and now this.  What is the world coming to.  As long as we don't start using them as pets and workers, we'll be okay.  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLAj4sMhWzs
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 03:51:43 AM »
Various monkeys/chimps have been using tools for ages (using sticks to get into Ant nests). Still pretty interesting though.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 07:01:46 AM »
I work at Iowa State and its a big buzz on campus and the local media. I guess they are happy about something from Iowa that isn't Cows, Sows and Plows.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 12:25:50 PM »
Dumb question:  So are Chimpanzees meat eaters?  I was thinking most primates ate fruit and insects only.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »
IIRC, Chimpanzees have been observed eating meat.

Chris

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
They regularly hunt and eat other monkeys and monkey-like mammals.  Usually by chasing them down grabbing their tails and cracking their heads on the ground.

Read an article in the paper at lunch and noted with amusement one female (college-sounding) researcher was "dismayed" when she realized what the sticks were for.

Suck it up eco-nut baby, that's life in the big, bad, real world.

It was noted that these chimps, the discrete group that appears to use spears (it isn't species wide) do not live in the deep forest but rather on the savannah's edge, which ironically is probably where humanlike hominids developed.  Also that the spear users are female, which makes sense as they are either pregnant or nursing much of their lives and aren't free to run down prey.  Easier to spear it in a hole.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 04:06:43 PM »

Suck it up eco-nut baby, that's life in the big, bad, real world.

An excellent quote.  "Nature, red in tooth and claw."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 04:26:56 PM »
They regularly hunt and eat other monkeys...

Just a point of accuracy, but Chimpanzees are not monkeys.  They are apes.

Monkeys vs Apes:

-apes have larger bodies and relatively larger brains (and prolonged period of infant dependence means single births are spaced at long intervals)
-apes lack tails
-apes have mobile, rotary shoulder joint which allows them to brachiate and hang from their arms (monkeys are quadrupeds that jump and run along the tops of branches or on the ground)
-apes have wider torso and shorter, stiffer lumbar region

Source: http://www.indiana.edu/~origins/teach/A105/lectures/A105.primatepage.html

Interesting that some chimps on the forest edge are doing this, but not the ones who live in the interior.  I've seen footage of chimps on the hunt, freaky how organized they are. Even scarier are those occasional oddities like Passion of the group Jane Goodall studied.  SHE was a regular psychotic nut-case who would kill and eat the infants of other females in her group.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »
Um, duh.

I know they aren't monkeys, forgive my grammar that suggested otherwise.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 06:37:31 AM »
Cool -  This finding has got to stick in the craws of certain human hating animal rights activists. 
I can just picture a Nat'l Geo documentary right now, "Namimba is pregnant with twins, Zambutu and Flora, so she must scavenge for roots, berries and insects to nourish her young.  This bright female is now fashioning a stick to collect ants from the tree....she is sharpening the stick ...for what reason?  Oh my God...she has just murdered a monkey....cut cut cut!!!"   

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 06:55:54 AM »
Most animal rights types are fine with animals killing other animals, they usually only hate that humans do it. Their argument is that we are not slaves to our own instincts to the degree that other predators are.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 06:57:21 AM »
True...but apes are our DNA brothers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 07:12:12 AM »
The big questions are...

Are spear-hunting chimps RICHER than other chimps?

Will Jim Chimpo write a blog for Outdoor Monkey decrying the use of terrorist spears in hunting? Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Viking

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 07:33:25 AM »
They regularly hunt and eat other monkeys...

Just a point of accuracy, but Chimpanzees are not monkeys.  They are apes.
And neither are Orangutans, something which Terry Pratchett taught me. Orangutan meaning "definetly not a monkey"
 grin
Seriously though, I read about this too,yesterday, and for a second I got the image of chimps assembling crude rifles and shotguns on my retina  grin grin cheesy laugh

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 07:47:13 AM »
Smiley

Well their net worth includes a spear...so I'd say it's likely

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 08:04:53 AM »
Ah, but there is no evolution and we were created by a higher power, and our women from our ribs, why, the suggestion we might have evolved from gaddam apes is just, just, I can't find the words... I am not a monkey!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 08:13:39 AM »
Smiley

Well their net worth includes a spear...so I'd say it's likely

Ah, but OTHER chimps might have spent less time constructing spears and hunting and more time forraging.

You're forgetting the relative banana factor as it equates to wealth... Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 09:52:25 AM »
But now they have tenderloins to trade for bananas.  They'll soon be envied, despised, and taxed by the majority.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 10:44:39 AM »
They'll soon be envied, despised, and taxed by the majority.

Hark!  What is that I hear off in the distance?  Why, its the cries and lamentations of the deep forest dwelling chimps who have been oppressed by their edge dwelling, spear wielding sisters!  Quick!  Somebody tell Hillary Clinton and Ted Kennedy that their compassion and expertise is needed in darkest Africa!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 10:50:47 AM »
[hippy folk singer voice]Listen children to a story
that was written long ago
bout some chimps on the savannah
and the forest chimps they know....

...One tin bonzo rides away.[/hippy folk singer voice]

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 02:27:19 PM »
Bush babies on a stick.  Get 'em while they're hot!

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »
Good lord that's cute Smiley.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 02:41:47 PM »
Good lord that's cute Smiley.

...and delicious.  grin