Author Topic: Can I use my .570 double rifle for HD?  (Read 5463 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Can I use my .570 double rifle for HD?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 01:55:25 AM »
Unless I've missed something in the world of British big game rifles, there never has been a .570 double rifle.

.577 Nitro Express (and before that, black powder express) was a standard in Africa, though.

That said, I think a mythical rifle in a mythical caliber would be PERFECT for home defense, because everyone knows that firearms are NEVER successfully used to defend oneself in the home, or anywhere else. Smiley

http://www.dakotaarms.com/currentinventory/firearmDescriptions/doublerifle/
The Dakota Double Rifle is available in many traditional rimmed calibers including 7X57R, .30-30,9.3x74R, .45-70, and .375 H&H Flanged, as well as popular big game cartridges such as the .470 and .570 Nitro Express.

grin

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

client32

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 04:35:43 AM »

Now we know why he only has one gun. 

or

This thread is pointless since he bought the gun instead of a house, therefore he doesn't have a home to defend.

Your part is to argue about how suitable my gun would actually be for home defense and what arm would be most appropriate.
I think the right arm would be most appropriate.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 07:45:25 AM »
Your part is to argue about how suitable my gun would actually be for home defense and what arm would be most appropriate.
I think the right arm would be most appropriate.

Especially since you'd have to give your left arm (and maybe the other left thing) to afford it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 08:58:21 AM »
Maybe he lives in one of those el cheapo mobile homes so he can afford a few of those Dakota Arms double rifles. That would be a smart move grin
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

griz

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »
No, you cant use any double rifle for home defense.  All HD rifles have a red dot sight, a flashlight, a wrap around heat shielding hand guard, a plastic synthetic stock, a laser, and a flash hider.  Or at least four of those things.  It would be blasphemous to do that to a double, so no, it is inadequate for home defense.  Use the lamp. grin
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 10:16:10 AM »
Why compromise?  Mount the lamp to the rifle.  Once you break it over the perp's head, it becomes a bayonet. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 06:13:02 PM »
Why compromise?  Mount the lamp to the rifle.  Once you break it over the perp's head, it becomes a bayonet. 

Bayonet hell!  If that bad boy is still plugged in it's a Taser.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Maser

• friend
    • The Teen Guns Forum
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 08:37:48 PM »
Heck with the .570.  Get yourself one of these.

grin
Why must life be so hard? Why must I cry? Why must I be so wrong? Why must I die?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2007, 08:40:41 PM »
Maser, he wants a gun for home defense, not a gun that will Swiss cheese every wall and every stick of furniture behind the bad guy.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Maser

• friend
    • The Teen Guns Forum
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2007, 08:46:18 PM »
Well with a gun like that, you won't even need to shoot it.  The burglar will just wet himself and then run away. Cheesy
Why must life be so hard? Why must I cry? Why must I be so wrong? Why must I die?

client32

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 03:24:44 AM »

Bayonet hell!  If that bad boy is still plugged in it's a Taser.
Now we need to find a battery pack for the lamp to attach, so he has more range.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 06:55:02 AM »
Great suggestions, guys.  I've been looking for a Picatinny Rail for my gun.  I'll also need a compatible mount for my Tiffany lamp and the power source.  Any ideas? 

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2007, 07:24:23 AM »
It's not ideal, but a gun is better than no gun.
Until I bought my Mossberg 500, my HD gun was a Mosin-Nagant 91/30.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 08:47:33 AM »
It's not ideal, but a gun is better than no gun.
Until I bought my Mossberg 500, my HD gun was a Mosin-Nagant 91/30.

Great combo, if you fix bayonet you can defend the front door without having to get out of bed.  grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2007, 09:23:41 AM »
I have a No 1 Mk III Lee Enfield with the sword pattern bayonet.

It was originally brought to my attention when, at a gun show, Mal H wanted to direct me to some massive benchrest rifles. He said they were "over there by the tall rifle" or something like that.

When I got over to the "tall rifle" I didn't really give a damn about the bench rest rifles (bigger than my first coffee table), but I was REALLY interested in the tall rifle.

Especially for the princely sum of $125.

And the bayonet is worth almost that much alone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.