Author Topic: Pot, Kettle...Romney calls Giulani "anti-gun".  (Read 1142 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Pot, Kettle...Romney calls Giulani "anti-gun".
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
Gotta love the hypocrisy, here. Does he really think he's fooling anyone?

ABC News reports that in an interview taped for the Christian talk show 'The 700 Club' set to air March 6, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney smeared contender Rudy Giulani saying, "He is pro-choice, he is pro-gay marriage, and anti-gun. That's a tough combination in a Republican primary."
Advertisement

Because of a 1997 bill that then-mayor of New York City Giuliani signed creating domestic-partnership benefits for homosexual couples, he is often considered 'pro-gay-rights,' writes ABC News. However, Giuliani has never been considered 'pro-gay-marriage.'

Though in 2004, Giuliani told NBC's Meet the Press that he would oppose a federal ban on gay marriage.

"When contacted by ABC News, the Romney campaign was not able to provide substantiation for the governor's claim that Giuliani is 'pro-gay marriage,'" continues the report.

But Mitt Romney has at one time expressed views very similar to each of the things of which he accuses Giuliani.

In a 1994 gubernatorial debate, Romney said, "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country... I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years that we should sustain and support it. And I sustain and support that law and the right of a woman to make that choice."

In 2002, Romney told NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts, "I respect and will protect a women's right to choose. This choice is a deeply personal one. Women should be free to choose based on their own beliefs, not mine and not the government's."

He has since shifted toward a pro-life stance.

Regarding gay marriage, Romney wrote to a group of Massachusetts gay Republicans in 1994, as "we seek to establish full equality for America's gay and lesbian citizens, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent [Ted Kennedy]."

In 2002 the Boston Globe reported (via CBN) that then-Governor of Massachusetts Romney would condemn a federal ban on same-sex marriage.

On gun control, OnTheIssues.org reports that Romney supported the assault weapons ban and Brady Bill in 1994. "I don't think (the waiting period) will have a massive effect on crime but I think it will have a positive effect," Romney said at the time.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Pot, Kettle...Romney calls Giulani "anti-gun".
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »
Makes me think of Clinton versus Gore.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:27:04 PM »
Changing one's position is not hypocrisy.  If Giuliani is currently running on an anti-gun platform and Romney is currently running on a pro-gun platform, then Romney is right to point out the difference. 

If he mistook Giulanis position on homosexual marriage as the article states, that would be unfortunate but would not be hypocritical. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:26:39 AM »
Rommney is to the right of Ghengis Kahn compared to Rudy the RINO
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:26:08 AM »
Changing one's position is not hypocrisy.  If Giuliani is currently running on an anti-gun platform and Romney is currently running on a pro-gun platform, then Romney is right to point out the difference. 

If he mistook Giulanis position on homosexual marriage as the article states, that would be unfortunate but would not be hypocritical. 

I think it's more that Romney is LYING and pretending he's pro-gun, and would immediately support an AWB. I posted his interview in which he weakly waffled, said he supported Brady and the AWB, and also that his son has a gun in the house the he kinda considered his...kinda.

He's wearing a newly-purchased Reagan hat and thinking it'll fool people, but leftist words keep slipping from his mouth.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:19:40 AM »
Why would Ghengis Khan be considered Right Wing? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 04:22:05 AM »
I heard an interview with Guilliani this morning on a local radio station.  He said all the right things.  On gun control, he made that same statement about what is good for New York is not necessarily good for Texas.  Not sure what that means to him.

I don't know anything about Romney yet.  All these north easterners need to prove they are worthy of our votes IMHO.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 04:24:38 AM »
Whether it is hypocrisy or not is not relevant to me.  Past statements do give a window into how the thinks and what he really believes. 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »
On gun control, he made that same statement about what is good for New York is not necessarily good for Texas.  Not sure what that means to him.
It means that, after he has been elected President and jammed more gun control down Texas' collective throat, he will come up with some weasel-worded excuse to justify it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 11:23:31 AM »

Because he was a big meanie. 

I wish all the politicians I voted for were true believers in every political view that I have.  I'm sure we all wish our candidates were as committed to our political views as we are.  But even if they were, how would we know it? 

When it comes down to it, you can only count on politicians to do and say what they think will get them re-elected.  I'm starting to wonder how much I should be concerned that Romney or Newt or anyone else may not be a true believer.  If the Republican candidate will commit to vetoing a future AWB, that's probably about all we can hope for.  I'm starting to think that all the good candidates are unelectable and all the electable candidates are gun-grabbing, big govt nannies, who will drop the ball on the terrror issue.

If we want to keep our guns and our freedoms, we can only change voter's minds.  Another Reagan (or whatever political hero you choose) is unlikely and won't make that much difference if the Congress thinks the voters want gun bans and universal health care.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »

I'm not sure, I heard it somewhere and liked the way it sounded.

On gun control, he made that same statement about what is good for New York is not necessarily good for Texas.  Not sure what that means to him.

It means he thinks gun owners are really stupid and will vote for him because he has an R in front of his name.
Dean thought the same thing and said the same thing.

Miami is just as dense as NYC and so is Philly.
So what he is saying is you can not trust New Yorkers to ccw and own an AR like you can people from  Miami and Philly, Vegas is pretty dense too come to think about it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 04:44:53 PM »

Im reminded of the McGovern run in 72.  He could do the fish flop dance like no candidate Ive ever seen.  I used to raze my best friend at the time about his contradictory statements at least three times a week for the entire campaign.  Changing positions, depending on which audience one is addressing, should be the biggest red flag visible against a candidate for any public office much less the Presidency.

If either candidate is flopping on a position now, why would they be consistent a year from now?  Not to mention after being elected to the office of President?
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 06:34:01 PM »
Changing one's position is not hypocrisy, and it's not flip-flopping, either.  If Romney is singing a different tune from one day to the next, THAT would be flip-flopping.  Show us a timeline of how he's done that, so we can all understand.

People like Al Gore and Dick Gephardt moved from the anti to the pro-abortion camp, and they stayed there.  Why couldn't the same thing happen with guns?

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 01:21:01 AM »
I wish Rudy was forced to explain to an interviewer who really knew the gun issue.
That Hannity interview showed that Hannity doesn't understand the gun issue at all.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 01:25:33 AM »
Changing one's position is not hypocrisy, and it's not flip-flopping, either.  If Romney is singing a different tune from one day to the next, THAT would be flip-flopping.  Show us a timeline of how he's done that, so we can all understand.

People like Al Gore and Dick Gephardt moved from the anti to the pro-abortion camp, and they stayed there.  Why couldn't the same thing happen with guns?

Are you willing to bet the fate of the second amendment on that?

I'm not.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 03:36:48 AM »
Maned, I don't want to settle for Romney, either.  And believe me I'm not telling you to trust a politician.   shocked  In fact, I'm telling you that you can't even trust the conservatives like Brownback et al.  The fact that they've been on the pro-gun side in the past (as Gore and Gephardt were anti-abortion), doesn't mean they won't have a change of heart later on (as Gore & Gephardt did).  I'm just using those two names as examples of politicians who have betrayed their supporters' expectations.  I'm sure we could come up with some who have betrayed gun-owners, too.  We can't trust the rascals to have their minds right.  We can only trust them to respond to pressure, which is what Romney appears to have done.  He learned, along with the Democrats, that gun control is a loser, so he's trying to stay in our good graces. 

Like I said, I wish our politicians were true believers as we are, but we can't expect that. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 03:44:36 AM »
In my opinion Brownback maybe the best option for the 2A, however, the best we could hope for is for him to be the counter-balance and be the VP.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!