Author Topic: Really?  (Read 642 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Really?
« on: February 04, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/317884-washington-state-judge-halts-trump-immigration-ban-nationwide

A federal judge in Washington (state) has [temporarily] blocked implementation of Trump's travel ban. The case was brought by the Washington State AG.

Lawyers for the government had argued the states lacked standing to sue, according to the Seattle Times, and that the order was within Trump's executive powers.

But the judge rejected that argument, saying the states had already suffered harm from the travel ban. He also said the lawsuit challenging the legality of the order has a good chance of succeeding.

I'm not buying that the states have any standing to sue in this matter. I don't see how they, as legal entities rather than people,  have suffered any "harm" other than maybe economic, and I don't accept that minor economic impact on a state outweighs national security -- which the states are NOT empowered to engage in under the Constitution. National security is one of the matters that is assigned to the federal government.

It's distressing that this is a judge who was appointed under a Republican president. There must be something in the water around Seatlle.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:18:37 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Really?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »
Most all Republicans are left wingers. They just aren't self aware enough to know it. Same goals, change just not so fast.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
Re: Really?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
Iirc, a federal judge stop ordered Obama's halting of all drilling in the Gulf of Mexico.  I think he gave the judge the finger and the order was not stopped.   Not sure, though.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw