Author Topic: I found one more reason Palin is awesome  (Read 17469 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
I found one more reason Palin is awesome
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:07:47 AM »
Yes, sorry, another Palin thread:

Here:

Sarah Palin was apparently a member in 1996 for a brief time with her husband Todd, about the same time Barack Obama was community organizing in Chicago for freebies from the federal government. She switched parties to Republican before running for mayor of Wasilla that year.

What liberals are belittling as a fringe party problem for her is something that middle America and libertarian-minded voters will cheer. Most rural states are fed up with Washington DC. Politically the GOP will welcome a new standard-bearer for the great conservative philosophical principles of self-determination and self-reliance. One suspects that Palin may steer the GOP back on their traditional political course.

The AIP party has been improperly described as advocating secession from the U.S. Their interesting platform refutes that sloppy reporting although some of their members would like to vote on it. They mainly want to amend the Alaska state constitution and call on Washington DC to respect our federalist system of government, what every libertarian-minded Republican would applaud.

It is also not a fringe party. Governor Walter Hickel was elected as a AIP member in 1990. The Alaska Independence Party is the 3rd largest in the state, ahead of both the Green Party and Libertarian Party.

http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=1970

Also, the Party platform is here:

http://akip.org/platform.html
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

agricola

• friend
Re: I found one more reason Palin is awesome
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:43:32 AM »
Thanks for the link, microbalrog. 

Unsurprisingly enough, the AIP is being described pretty unanimously over here as "a curious fringe organisation", though given that the entirity of the British press (with one or two exceptions, and by "one or two" I mean journalists, not newspapers) is blatantly pro-Obama.  Those of you who experience bursts of anger when you read complete idiocy may wish not to click on the link below:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/oliverburkemanblog/2008/sep/02/uselections2008.palin
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:18:47 AM »
How does an organisation that gets a governor elected qualify as a 'curious fringe organization'?

In fact what is wrong with being fringe?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:24:07 AM »
What will these rightwing fanatics come up with next?  First it's the gun nuts, now it's the Constitution nuts.   grin
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:55:25 AM »
To be fair, the AIP are a little nuts in practice.  But it's a good kind of crazy.  laugh
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »
To be fair, the AIP are a little nuts in practice.  But it's a good kind of crazy.  laugh

Palin's team have released her voter registration cards:

http://www.alan.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/palinvoterreg.pdf

(bear in mind the cards are hosted at Alan Colme's site)

Whats the next scandal?
"Make peace, you fools"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:30:09 AM »
Whats the next scandal?

You mean the "mattress tag removal scandal" scheduled to hit this evening?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:33:07 AM »
Just read their platform.

Seems great to me, though I confess ignorance on some of the local issues.  I doubt those local issues are cover for, "re-institute slavery and outlaw motherhood & apple pie."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
Whats the next scandal?

Can't control her kid...  can't control her cat...   shocked

grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 11:37:29 AM »
I was really excited about moose hunting, salmon fishing, berry picking Sarah Palin at first, but I haven't seen anything about her riding a horse ...  undecided

laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 11:43:49 AM »
was really excited about moose hunting, salmon fishing, berry picking Sarah Palin at first, but I haven't seen anything about her riding a horse ...

What, they have a bear for Governor up there?  Dang.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
Sounds like the Dem's/left are using the "Spaghetti Offense".....throw everything against the wall and see what sticks.

17 yo Daughter's pregnant
Husband was ARRESTED (not CONVICTED) of DUI. 
Fishing on sister's licence.
Fired Public Safety Commissioner for not firing sleazebag BIL trooper. 

I can't wait to hear about her traffic tickets, that she doesn't sort her recyclables, and they didn't cut their lawn for two weeks  !!  (an EL T hot button issue.) 

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »
Sounds like the Dem's/left are using the "Spaghetti Offense".....throw everything against the wall and see what sticks.

I can't wait to hear about her traffic tickets, that she doesn't sort her recyclables, and they didn't cut their lawn for two weeks  !!  (an EL T hot button issue.) 

You missed "alleged member of a perfectly legal third party in Alaska".  God knows what they would make of her if, say, she started her political career at the home of someone who blew stuff up.
"Make peace, you fools"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 12:13:08 PM »
was really excited about moose hunting, salmon fishing, berry picking Sarah Palin at first, but I haven't seen anything about her riding a horse ...

What, they have a bear for Governor up there?  Dang.

A fox.  grin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »
I was really excited about moose hunting, salmon fishing, berry picking Sarah Palin at first, but I haven't seen anything about her riding a horse ...  undecided

laugh

I think she has a motorcycle license.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 12:15:36 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/29/politics/politico/thecrypt/main4397109.shtml

Palin has said she smoked marijuana but didn't enjoy it and doesn't smoke anymore.

"I can't claim a Bill Clinton and say that I never inhaled, she told the Anchorage Daily News in 2006.

At the time, marijuana was legal under Alaska's liberal drug laws.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »
You missed "alleged member of a perfectly legal third party in Alaska".  God knows what they would make of her if, say, she started her political career at the home of someone who blew stuff up.

Didn't just blow stuff up, but blew up Cops and .gov buildings (like the Pentagon).  But yeah, I forget attend meetings of radical, rightwing, militia type, third party and mattress tag-gate.   rolleyes rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 12:58:50 PM »

If this is the best they can do, I think the biggest thing holding her back will be McCain......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »
A bit about the Alaska Independence Party, which is not "secessionist" per se.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Independence_Party

It is also the 3rd-party option for folks who feel the Repubs are getting too anti-state's right.  In the below case Joe Vogler offered the ticket to Hickel because Dems used our (then) open primary to put a liberal on the Rep. ticket.  As you can see, you don't have to be a secessionist to be an independent.

In 1990, Walter Joseph Hickel, a former Republican, won the election for governor as a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, along with Jack Coghill as his running mate. This was the only time since Alaska joined the union that a third-party candidate has been elected governor. However, Hickel never agreed with the party's call for a vote on secession, leading to demands from party diehards that he be recalled. He rejoined the Republican Party in 1994, with eight months remaining in his term.

If Hickel's name is familiar, he was Sec of Int. under Nixon and was fired for criticising him over the Vietnam war and treatment of protestors.

Alaska politics is complex.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 05:03:55 AM »
She appears to have never been a member. I am disappointed.

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 10:10:13 PM »

At the time?  It still is.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 07:52:17 AM »

At the time?  It still is.

I seem to recall much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the '80s when personal use was made illegal.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 08:09:54 AM »
What sane American DOESN'T want to "secede" from D.C.?

The Dems like to prattle about democracy and the average American.  Well, now they've met someone who embodies the democratic process in action--and they are scared to death.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »
Whats the next scandal?

I understand Ms. Palin has very strong homo sapiens tendencies and engaged in public matriculation upon entering college, where she was alleged to have kept company with amateur thespians, some of whom performed their acts in public!

She has been known to engage in osculatory behavior with members of the opposite sex.

It is a certainty that she has committed piscatorial acts on boats flying the U.S. flag.

Have you ever accidentally dislodged a rock on the ground and seen what was underneath? Well, exploring Ms. Palin's background is dissimilar. All the slime and filth and corruption you can possibly imagine, even in your wildest dreams, are glaringly nonexistent in this woman's life. And even in her childhood!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 11:24:15 AM »
When I was considering moving to Alaska, I looked into the AIP. Seemed like good guys to me.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.