Author Topic: I found one more reason Palin is awesome  (Read 17468 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: I found one more reason Palin is awesome
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 11:34:24 AM »
Micro, you may be disappointed in her only giving the AIP a friendly address, but perhaps the following will lift your spirits...

http://www.reason.com/news/show/128567.html

http://snipurl.com/3n1n3

As anti-Real ID activist Bill Scannell, an Alaska native, told reason's Matt Welch, Palin "has been a pretty freaking awesome governor." Denver Post columnist and reason contributor David Harsanyi says that "for libertariansin the broadest sense of the small 'l' wordshe's the best candidate they can expect." And I suppose it is encouraging that, as a 2006 opposition research dossier obtained by Politico.com noted, with evident horror, Palin has attended at least one Libertarian Party meeting, at a Denny's restaurant in Anchorage.

She may not own a wookie costume...

...but who needs a wookie costume if you have a moose-skin rug?

In the interests of full disclosure, I have also attended a Libertarian Party meeting in a restaurant in a location to remain undisclosed, so as to save them the pain and humiliation of association with the LP.  And me.

One more addendum:

A commenter in recounts his interaction with Palin..
http://www.reason.com/convention2008/show/128573.html#1071832
I was chair of the Alaska Libertarian Party briefly in the 90's. When we reached permanent party status by getting 2% of the registered voters to register as Libertarians, Sarah Palin, then mayor of Wasilla, was the only elected official of any party to congratulate us. She did so in person by stopping by our booth at the Alaska State Fair.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
She may not own a wookie costume...

...but who needs a wookie costume if you have a moose-skin rug?

If there were Wookies In Alaska, Id bet she'd have a Wookie skin rug too! grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

roo_ster

• friend
05SEP2007: Jury Rights Day Declared by Palin
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
OK, I think I'm in love:

http://gov.state.ak.us/print_news-17852.html

Jury Rights Day

WHEREAS, September 5, 2007, will mark the 337th anniversary of the day when the jury, in the trial of William Penn, refused to convict him of violating Englands Conventicle Acts, despite clear evidence that he acted illegally by preaching a Quaker sermon to his congregation.

WHEREAS, by refusing to apply what they determined was an unjust law, the Penn jury not only served justice, but provided a basis for the U.S. Constitutions First Amendment rights of freedom of speech, religion, and peaceable assembly.

WHEREAS, September 5th, 2007, also commemorates the day when four of Penns jurors began nine weeks of incarceration for finding him not guilty. Their later release and exoneration established forever the English and American legal doctrine that it is the right and responsibility of the trial jury to decide on matters of law and fact.

WHEREAS, the Sixth and Seventh Amendments are included in the Bill of Rights to preserve the right to trial by jury, which in turn conveys upon the jury the responsibility to defend, with its verdict, all other individual rights enumerated or implied by the U.S. Constitution, including its Amendments.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Sarah Palin, Governor of the State of Alaska, do hereby proclaim September 5, 2007, as:

Jury Rights Day

in Alaska, in recognition of the integral role the jury, as an institution, plays in our legal system.

Dated: August 31, 2007

Holy fija.org, Batman!
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 11:49:03 AM »
...this almost makes up for her lack of AIP membership.  grin
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »
OK, I think I'm in love:

http://gov.state.ak.us/print_news-17852.html

Jury Rights Day

WHEREAS, September 5, 2007, will mark the 337th anniversary of the day when the jury, in the trial of William Penn, refused to convict him of violating England’s Conventicle Acts, despite clear evidence that he acted illegally by preaching a Quaker sermon to his congregation.

WHEREAS, by refusing to apply what they determined was an unjust law, the Penn jury not only served justice, but provided a basis for the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment rights of freedom of speech, religion, and peaceable assembly.

WHEREAS, September 5th, 2007, also commemorates the day when four of Penn’s jurors began nine weeks of incarceration for finding him not guilty. Their later release and exoneration established forever the English and American legal doctrine that it is the right and responsibility of the trial jury to decide on matters of law and fact.

WHEREAS, the Sixth and Seventh Amendments are included in the Bill of Rights to preserve the right to trial by jury, which in turn conveys upon the jury the responsibility to defend, with its verdict, all other individual rights enumerated or implied by the U.S. Constitution, including its Amendments.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Sarah Palin, Governor of the State of Alaska, do hereby proclaim September 5, 2007, as:

Jury Rights Day

in Alaska, in recognition of the integral role the jury, as an institution, plays in our legal system.

Dated: August 31, 2007

Holy fija.org, Batman!

Countdown to C & S's Daddy calling her a "hero of the revolution"...

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »
But, but, but, but she had overdue library books !!!!!!!!!

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »
Just wait until 2012.   Palin vs Hillary the Ultimate Grudge Match.

Hillary needs Obama to lose and lose bad, she can't wait until 2016.  I think her supporters know that and will get out the vote for McCain.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 09:13:40 AM »
I've heard she talked to a Hippie once.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »
Only just before punching it.
D. R. ZINN

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Hippies up here usually own guns.

If there are such things, we have good hippies.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »
Well, the bad hippies that don't own guns are bear poop.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 10:15:34 AM »
Maybe if we get Palin elected, we can finally get Creationism taught in public schools.

I'm gonna go get "Palin '12" tattooed on my forehead!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Maybe if we get Palin elected, we can finally get Creationism taught in public schools.

What part of the Constitution would allow a President or Vice-President to do that?

Given that she has publically stated her personal beliefs do not trump the law of the land, how would she do that even if she wanted to?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »

What part of the Constitution would allow a President or Vice-President to do that?

Given that she has publically stated her personal beliefs do not trump the law of the land, how would she do that even if she wanted to?

You know all us Christians are secretly working to overthrow the fed.gov and establish a theocracy.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »
I wasn't referring to the fact that she's a Christian.  I was referring to the fact that she thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.

But it's fun to imagine how repressed and misrepresented your poor little majority is, right?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »
I wasn't referring to the fact that she's a Christian.  I was referring to the fact that she thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.

But it's fun to imagine how repressed and misrepresented your poor little majority is, right?

Do you have a quote where she said creationism should be taught in public schools?

What I read in context from the interview documented above was that student questions shouldn't be stifled and, if raised, the controversy should be taught.

A little different than mandating new text books or denying current evolutionary theory.

In any event, care to point out where a Pres. or VP has the power under the Constitution or US law to dictate what local school districts use for science curriculum?  Take your time.

I think most here would point out that the Fed.gov shouldn't be involved in education at all.  It's only because some on the left thought the government was more qualified to run local education than the locals in the first place that makes gvernmental involvement they dislike as an issue at all.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 11:55:17 AM »

Fed.gov forcing your view of the world down my kids throats; perfectly acceptable. My wanting equal time for viable alternative theories; evil theocracy!  rolleyes

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 12:19:15 PM »
Fed.gov forcing your view of the world down my kids throats

What, objective reasoning?  Empirical evidence and peer review? 

My wanting equal time for viable alternative theories

If it was a viable alternative theory, there would be no problem.  Contrary to what you might think, scientists are not scheming bond villains wishing to brainwash your children.  Come up with a credible, peer reviewed theory, and it will be taught.  If someone had something better than evolution, they would win the Nobel prize, not be shooed away in some grand conspiracy.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 12:31:49 PM »

If it was a viable alternative theory, there would be no problem.  Contrary to what you might think, scientists are not scheming bond villains wishing to brainwash your children.  Come up with a credible, peer reviewed theory, and it will be taught.  If someone had something better than evolution, they would win the Nobel prize, not be shooed away in some grand conspiracy.

A lot of scientists who look into the matter have questions about evolution. But there is a reason Galileo was persecuted for going against the accepted norms; human nature is no different now, all that's changed is the religion held up as the standard. Evolution can be no more empirically proven than intelligent design; they both require a certain amount of faith.

And just try to get even the best researched, most clearly clearly written, and thoroughly documented paper even admitting that ID is viable peer reviewed, let alone published. For all the bleating and moaning, you are the one trying to force an unprovable theory be taught as absolute truth, and suppress any alternative views.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 12:35:48 PM »
Evolution can be no more empirically proven than intelligent design; they both require a certain amount of faith.

That's not correct. Evolution can and has been proven in the lab with everything from bacteria to fruit flies, and can be empirically observed in the fossil record of adaptations and extinctions in the face of changing conditions.

For heaven's sake, just look at a line of 'pith skulls, and make sure to include Robustus, the giant vegetarian that was a dead end and thus went away.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »

And on this you are correct.

The only reason that ID should come up in a science classroom, and this is exactly in line with Gov. Palin's remarks , goes like this.

Teacher: Evolutionary theory shows how life appears to have changed and developed over time using various mechanisms (scientific detail, cool movies etc.).

Student:  My parents taught me G-d was involved in creating the universe and life.

Teacher:  That is a common belief in this country.  What we are studying here though is the physical evidence we have for how life appears to have developed over time.  That evidence cannot prove or disprove any actions by by a supernatural creator, so we only address the evidence we actually have.

Student: (now being disruptive) But, but... the banana, the eye...

Teacher:  We are in this class to talk about science.  By definition science can neither prove nor disprove supernatural actions.  Please listen and learn the information presented, we can discuss this later with your parents should they choose.

The End

Nothing about current science curricula should be taught as "disproving" G-d, as science can't do that.  The most science can do is demonstrate a rational theory as to why overt action by G-d is not apparently necessary for evolutionary theory to work.  As long as teachers stick to that perfectly accurate line, there is no controversy.

Parents can fill in the theological portions on their own.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »
Evolution can be no more empirically proven than intelligent design; they both require a certain amount of faith.

That's not correct. Evolution can and has been proven in the lab with everything from bacteria to fruit flies, and can be empirically observed in the fossil record of adaptations and extinctions in the face of changing conditions.

For heaven's sake, just look at a line of 'pith skulls, and make sure to include Robustus, the giant vegetarian that was a dead end and thus went away.

Uhh, no. Or at least not the way you're using the term. Damn you for forcing me to split semantic hairs through your imprecise language use.

Tremendous variety within species is not just possible but required under the Biblical model of Creation. This might be termed "micro-evolution" if you'd like. All dogs from chihuahua to saint bernard are descended from a common canid ancestor.

"Macro-evolution" ie one type or species of animal changing to another has never been documented anywhere. And transitional forms are utterly lacking. If one type gradually changed into another type, we would see a slow change. What we actually see is abrupt shifts. Similar but distinct species with nothing directly connecting them. Even many leading evolutionary proponents who are intellectually honest admit this.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
"Macro-evolution" ie one type or species of animal changing to another has never been documented anywhere. And transitional forms are utterly lacking. If one type gradually changed into another type, we would see a slow change. What we actually see is abrupt shifts. Similar but distinct species with nothing directly connecting them. Even many leading evolutionary proponents who are intellectually honest admit this.

Actually, it has, but you're using that same "I don't understand what transition is so I'll disbelieve it la la la" excuse used by that Florida "museum" that shows people riding dinosaurs.

I can't continue any sort of conversation there, because you're simply disbelieving things that have been proven beyond a doubt in countless laboratories.

And there's nothing more to say there. Believe what you wish. Reality is that which, regardless of whether you believe it exists or not, continues to exist.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 12:51:56 PM »

Actually, it has, but you're using that same "I don't understand what transition is so I'll disbelieve it la la la" excuse used by that Florida "museum" that shows people riding dinosaurs.

I can't continue any sort of conversation there, because you're simply disbelieving things that have been proven beyond a doubt in countless laboratories.

And there's nothing more to say there. Believe what you wish. Reality is that which, regardless of whether you believe it exists or not, continues to exist.

Right back at ya slick. The old saying really is true; arguing on the intarwebz is like the special olympics.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 01:02:54 PM »
South Park (Because nothing is sacred to their producers):

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155351