Author Topic: Shotgun lights  (Read 3960 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Shotgun lights
« on: August 07, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »
I'm looking to add a light to my Mossberg 500.  Doesn't have to be bright enough to illuminate the moon, but enough for good target ID and to possibly disorient.  I've got a sling on my gun, so it'll need to mount maybe under the barrel with a pressure switch, or on a rail on the bottom of the foregrip.
Thoughts?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Shotgun lights
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »
My balls are already high speed, low drag, tactical, and distracting.
 >:D

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »
I am happy with my Streamlight TLR-1.  If I were to buy new, however, I'd likely buy the TRL-3, because it is smaller and my house would be lit just fine with it, even though it is not as bright as the TLR-1.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I am happy with my Streamlight TLR-1.  If I were to buy new, however, I'd likely buy the TRL-3, because it is smaller and my house would be lit just fine with it, even though it is not as bright as the TLR-1.

Stick with the TLR-1. It's a better light as far as durability goes.

I advise attaching the light directly to the forend. A couple of methods work for this...a short section of rail screwed onto the forend and light attached, a railed foreend (Surefire and Ergo make these http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4865-SHORT&storeid=1&image=moss500rail.gif) and the mack daddy solution, the Surefire forend.

Personally i think one of the first two options with a TLR-1 attached is the way to go for you.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:44:06 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »
I have a Streamlight MX-3 on both my 870 and 500. Even with the xenon bulb, they have been rock solid. If I bought one today, I'd buy whatever the equivalent is with LED, just for the bulb longevity under shock (though as I said, my xenons are still going). I seem to recall Insight is the same as Streamlight in some tactical lights, and is a bit cheaper.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »
http://www.surefire.com/623FA-Shotgun-Forend

I have the Winchester 1300 version of this.  Well worth the money.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 09:30:18 PM »
The forend looks good, but alot more than I'm looking to spend.  My forend has rails, so I might just get a push button light and clamp combo to go on it.

JD

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
Bummer.  SureFire does not make anything for an Ithaca 37.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
does anyone know what the little two-shell holders that go on the fore-end are called?
JD

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:41:53 PM »
does anyone know what the little two-shell holders that go on the fore-end are called?

Scroll down...

http://www.3gunstuff.com/shotgun.htm

My forend has rails, so I might just get a push button light and clamp combo to go

Well, there's your answer!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »
Scroll down...

http://www.3gunstuff.com/shotgun.htm

Well, there's your answer!

Kind of.  I saw some on a magpul video.....wait...maybe I need to go visit the magpul site....   :facepalm:

Nope, that didn't help.

I saw it on the dynamic shotgun video magpul produced.  It mounts on the forend and was made of a polymer, instead of the soft kind in your link.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:51:35 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »
For Magpul, it might have either been homebrew or custom production from some Kydex worker.

I haven't seen one for sale.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 10:42:48 PM »
Stick with the TLR-1. It's a better light as far as durability goes.

I advise attaching the light directly to the forend. A couple of methods work for this...a short section of rail screwed onto the forend and light attached, a railed foreend (Surefire and Ergo make these http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4865-SHORT&storeid=1&image=moss500rail.gif) and the mack daddy solution, the Surefire forend.

Personally i think one of the first two options with a TLR-1 attached is the way to go for you.

This is the way to go, I agree. And it's what I run on my own Mossberg 590. A TLR-1 and a Mako railed fore end. The TLR-3 might be a good choice too. It's half the lumens roughly, but it's still a LOT of light, and it's roughly $30 cheaper too. I run a TLR-3 on my HK USP40 and Like it just fine. You definitely don't want all the curly-cord BS to mess with, and a stand alone light clamped far up on the barrel or mag tube does not always let you do momentary illumination. You either have it on and leave it, or off and leave it. And you can't reach it with the fore end and slide retracted/bolt open either.

I looked at the Ergo fore end, the full-length rails everywhere look like they could be uncomfortable, and can chew up your hand under recoil. And you'll have extra expense of getting a bunch of cover panels for the parts you're not using,

I like the Mako fore end for the Mossberg 500/590. It gives you the options of left, right, or center/bottom mounting for the light, and it has roughly the same size and feel as the OEM Mossberg fore end grip, save for the rail on the bottom, so I'd suggest a rubber ladder-cover for that, but it's still cheaper than covering three sides with panels.

http://www.lowpriceguns.com/product.php_372830 Mako fore-end, just a tad under $50 at several places.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/37979-1.html TLR-1, usually $99 most places. Sometimes on sale for $89 if you hunt hard, or find a coupon code etc.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/59436-1.html TLR-3, Saves you $30 bucks. More compact, half the lumens (roughly) one battery instead of two, plastic body, instead of aluminum, but still plenty bright unless it's competing with brighter lights etc.

Here it is with the Mako fore end, and TLR-1, and a Knoxx Spec-Ops, shock absorbing stock.

Close up of the TLR-1 on the Mako.

(Note, the head of the TLR-1 looks a little funky because there's a Butler Creek flip-up scope cap on there. )
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:56:37 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »
Dragon's breath first round. Then you need curtains or a good memory, either of which will do their part to help you know where any non-immolated BGs are.

Well, if I had the cash I'd get a Surefire foreend. Doesn't solve my problem completely, the 870 is tucked in a bag somewhere, Ithaca 37 sits in the closet with a full pipe.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 11:39:57 PM »
Dragon's breath first round. Then you need curtains or a good memory, either of which will do their part to help you know where any non-immolated BGs are.

No no no! You have to load up 3" magnums loaded with a stack of framing nails. That way it'll pin the BG to the wall and he'll stay put.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 06:32:11 AM »
No no no! You have to load up 3" magnums loaded with a stack of framing nails. That way it'll pin the BG to the wall and he'll stay put.

Hehehehe...we call this one "the entomologist"

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 07:33:56 AM »
In an ideal, money-is-no-object kinda world I would prefer to go with the Sure-Fire fore end. But sine it is most times we outfitted all of our department 870s with this and a TLR-1. They work just dandy

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-rem-870-tactical-mount-69906.html

I'n sure it would fit other makes and models since mag tubes tend to be the same diameter.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 07:51:47 AM »
How are the streamlight lights? (TLR-n)?  I have surefires on a few of my weapons (the fore end one, an x300 on my 5-7 and the LED weapon light on my AR), but was looking for a lower cost option for some other guns.  Does the lower cost of the TLR show up (reliability, performance, build quality, etc) or are you just paying for a name with the surefire?  (also, is there a TLR with a light and laser?)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »
I'd say it's mainly the name you're paying for.

Surefire's may be 5% "better" in some sort of hyper abusive use environment I guess. And some of it may be their R&D and testing that's above and beyond what anyone else does. I'm trying to think what the proper term to call that sort of exponential price increase for the bleeding edge, that's only a fraction better, if at all, than alternatives...

Yes, Streamlight has the TLR-2, which is the TLR-1 with integrated laser as well. Runs about $250.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »
Ended up with a tube-clamp and this.  had good reviews I'll let ya'll know how it does.   
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »
Re: Side shell holder

Looks like after googling the hell out of it, its this
http://www.blade-tech.com/Shotgun-Shell-Pouch-w-Blade-Tech-Klip-pr-832.html#product_images
Modified to fit.  Can't remember if it was velcroed or railed in place. 
I'm wondering if this
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=080-12
Could be screwed onto some kind of rail mount, and then attached to the rail on the side of the barrel.
JD

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 09:36:59 AM »
Bummer.  SureFire does not make anything for an Ithaca 37.

You don't need a light when you shine with that much class
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage