Author Topic: 16 year old stranded on ice floe, shoots polar bear  (Read 10875 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
16 year old stranded on ice floe, shoots polar bear
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
Can you imagine being on a floating ice berg with 3 polar bears... and a box of chocolate bars? [popcorn]

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/723160--teenager-rescued-from-ice-floe-in-nunavut

CORAL HARBOUR, Nunavut – Battling hypothermia and freezing skin, a trapped teenage hunter was forced to shoot and kill a polar bear as he waited for more than a day to be rescued from a large chunk of drifting sea ice in the Canadian North.

The teen and his 67-year-old uncle, who had gone out polar bear hunting, were reported overdue late Saturday, said Ed Zebedee, director of the Government of Nunavut's protection services branch.

The snowmobile the pair were riding broke down approximately 18 kilometres from Coral Harbour, a tiny community on Nunavut's Southampton Island in the northern part of Hudson Bay.

As they walked towards the community to get help, they became separated. A large chunk of ice broke off, setting the teen adrift, said Zebedee.

The uncle was picked up Sunday morning. Searchers on snowmobiles located the man as he walked on the pack ice off the coast of the island.

His nephew, meanwhile, remained lost.

Sometime between Saturday and Sunday, the teen, who was armed with a rifle, encountered three bears, likely a female and two older cubs, on the same large ice pan.

One bear, likely the adult, simply got too close.

"He did have to shoot the polar bear to protect himself," said Zebedee. "There were two other bears on the ice pan but they stayed away from him so he didn't shoot at them at all."

The two cubs remained with the carcass and the teen managed to position himself as far away as he could from the remaining animals.

Jean-Pierre Sharp, an official with the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre at Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Ontario, said an aerial search was launched Sunday morning.

A pilot on a small plane chartered by a government search-and-rescue agency spotted the teen Sunday afternoon and also saw the carcass of a bear down below.

Zebedee said the crew on board dropped a plastic container of chocolate bars and candy to the stranded boy.

A Hercules aircraft also spotted the boy Sunday, but lost sight of him as the plane circled back to take another look and darkness set in.

The crew continued to search for the teen through the night, dropping flares to illuminate the snowy landscape, but couldn't find him, Sharp said.

On Monday morning, the crew on board the military search-and-rescue aircraft again spotted the youth, who had drifted about 34 kilometres from where the snowmobile had broken down, said Sharp.

Two search-and-rescue technicians parachuted to a larger ice floe a short distance away to mount their rescue attempt.

"They had to sort of belly crawl across some of the ice floes to get to the one he was on," said Sharp. "Even after spending hours alone, huddling in temperatures that dipped below -15 C, the teen appeared to be in decent shape. He was conscious, slightly hypothermic and appeared to have some frostbite."

The military search-and-rescue experts dressed the boy in warm clothes.

The two remaining bears were still in the area when the rescuers arrived, Zebedee said.

"I was just told nobody wanted to be on the ice with the bears too long."

About an hour later, searchers who had launched a small boat from Coral Harbour located all three and took them to shore.

The 67-year-old man, identified by RCMP as Jimmy Nakoolak, and the 17-year-old boy, whose name was not released, were both taken to hospital in Churchill, Man., to be treated for hypothermia.

Zebedee, who has spent 30 years in the North, said the Inuit have a great deal of respect for polar bears and he doubts the teen hunter would have killed one if he had any other options.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: 16 year old stranded on ice floe, shoots polar bear
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:18:44 PM »
Thumbs up for him for keeping his cool enough to make it a killing shot against the bear that got to close. Had he merely wounded it, I bet he wouldn't be alive now.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »
Two search-and-rescue technicians parachuted to a larger ice floe a short distance away to mount their rescue attempt.

:cool:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
Journalism 101 - FAIL

Always read what you wrote before you write any more. From the article:

The teen and his 67-year-old uncle, who had gone out polar bear hunting, were reported overdue late Saturday, said Ed Zebedee, director of the Government of Nunavut's protection services branch.

Zebedee, who has spent 30 years in the North, said the Inuit have a great deal of respect for polar bears and he doubts the teen hunter would have killed one if he had any other options.

So, like, why were they hunting polar bears if they didn't plan to, like, SHOOT a polar bear? Were they just going to take pictures? Maybe sheer the fur?

Occam's razor suggests that if they were hunting polar bears with a rifle, they probably intended to shoot a polar bear.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »
Hawkmoon:

A bear on a detached ice floe or iceburg is kinda difficult to harvest after shooting.  The boy also didn't have his uncle with him to help him harvest the bear.

At the point that he was stranded on an ice floe... I bet his priorities shifted away from bear hunting to just getting back home.

It would be no different than one of us going griz hunting in Alaska with a guide, and getting separated from him.  While traipsing through the woods trying to find camp, you stumble across a griz and put him down for defensive purposes.  You're not equipped to harvest that animal... it was just self defense.  Had you seen him at 300 yards across a clearing, you would have passed on the shot since you had other priorities (food/shelter/safety).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »
Hawkmoon:

I doubt that the hunters intended to shoot a sow bear with cubs; they probably would have given it a wide berth, since they were probably looking for a boar.

Polar bears have no natural fear of humans, and regard anything besides other bears as meat; shooting this bear was more necessity than choice, even though they were hunting polar bears.

(Good thing they weren't out for a photo adventure.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »
Hawkmoon:

I doubt that the hunters intended to shoot a sow bear with cubs; they probably would have given it a wide berth, since they were probably looking for a boar.

Polar bears have no natural fear of humans, and regard anything besides other bears as meat; shooting this bear was more necessity than choice, even though they were hunting polar bears.

(Good thing they weren't out for a photo adventure.)

Isn't it a law that says you've got to bring a large caliber rifle with you when you head out into polar bear country up in Canada? I seem to remember something about one of those guys doing survival shows on Discovery saying something to that effect. I think it's the law on the Svalbard islands. They even have rifles for you to borrow if you happened to forget your own :lol: :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »
I am become Global Warming, Destroyer of Polar Bears
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
hey even have rifles for you to borrow if you happened to forget your own

give the newbie a rifle with some claw marks and stains on the stock  keep em cautious
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 11:55:02 PM »
A bear on a detached ice floe or iceburg is kinda difficult to harvest after shooting.  The boy also didn't have his uncle with him to help him harvest the bear.

Above is part of Redhawks reply.  My question is, When did going out and killing some animal so you can cut it's head off, or eat the meat, become "harvesting?"  I think of mowing down the corn in your field, or picking your cotton when someone mentions harvesting.  Is it now more PC to change the name?

Red, you know me well enough to know I am not attacking you.  I have heard the phrase before but thought I could get an answer here.  So fire away you hunters.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 12:04:17 AM »

Above is part of Redhawks reply.  My question is, When did going out and killing some animal so you can cut it's head off, or eat the meat, become "harvesting?"  I think of mowing down the corn in your field, or picking your cotton when someone mentions harvesting.  Is it now more PC to change the name?

Red, you know me well enough to know I am not attacking you.  I have heard the phrase before but thought I could get an answer here.  So fire away you hunters.

From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/harvest

Main Entry: harvest
Function: verb
Date: 15th century
transitive verb

1 a : to gather in (a crop) : reap b : to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (as salmon, oysters, or deer) for human use, sport, or population control c : to remove or extract (as living cells, tissues, or organs) from culture or from a living or recently deceased body especially for transplanting
2 a : to accumulate a store of <has now harvested this new generation's scholarly labors — M. J. Wiener> b : to win by achievement <the team harvested several awards>intransitive verb : to gather in a crop especially for food

I've heard it used in the hunting lexicon for as long as I've cared anything about hunting.

The boy in the story was described as an Inuit, and a respectful use of the bear's remains would ostensibly be a goal of his and his uncle's.  I think "harvest" is an appropriate term for their probable use of a bear, had their hunt gone more according to plan.

The definition above, interestingly enough, mentions "sport" as a legitimate categorization of "harvest."  I don't consider a safari hunter out for his Big Five in Africa to be "harvesting" any of those animals... but I guess that's why I don't get paid to write the dictionary. =D
--Lysander Spooner

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 12:36:56 AM »
Thanks Red,

I seem to remember it popping up back around 1994 when the anti's were making their move on all guns, especially handguns, and the hunting community was scrambling to distance themselves from trophy hunters or "gun enthusiasts" who were buying guns just for the fun or it, or out of a fear they would lose the right to own.  I may be wrong on the time frame, but I think I have it right. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 12:46:03 AM »
I don't have an Oxford English Dictionary... but the OED should have a timeline of changes of implied meaning as word usage evolves.  It would confirm your theory, I think.
--Lysander Spooner

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:24:28 AM »
( Re: 16 year old stranded on ice floe, shoots polar bear )

He couldn't have. Globular warming melted all the ice and drowned the polar bears.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »
Anyone care about the cubs?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »
Anyone care about the cubs?

Sure... but I care about the human (the cub of MY species) more.

The story describes them as older cubs, so they were probably close to being weaned by momma anyways.  Sow black bears den with their young for the first winter, then kick them out of the den around the late summer or fall of the second year.  These sound to be at about that point, but I don't know if polar bears den with their young for a longer or shorter time frame.
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 11:35:12 AM »
I've harvested more than my fair share of cottontails for the crock pot over the years.  ;)

Just wanted to say "Welcome" to Longeyes here in The Round Table, too. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 11:37:48 AM »
It is a minor thing and I don't get too worked up over it, but calling hunting harvesting has always seemed a little creepy to me.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 11:42:33 AM »
Since I've been following icebears Knut and Flocke in Germany I've gotten soft.   =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »
A pilot on a small plane chartered by a government search-and-rescue agency spotted the teen Sunday afternoon and also saw the carcass of a bear down below.

Zebedee said the crew on board dropped a plastic container of chocolate bars and candy to the stranded boy.

A Hercules aircraft also spotted the boy Sunday, but lost sight of him as the plane circled back to take another look and darkness set in.

The crew continued to search for the teen through the night, dropping flares to illuminate the snowy landscape, but couldn't find him, Sharp said.

Hmmm...they dropped him some candy.  Maybe flares, an EPIRB, and a small camp stove would have been useful too.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 11:43:21 PM »
Hmmm...they dropped him some candy.  Maybe flares, an EPIRB, and a small camp stove would have been useful too.

A small camp stove?  He just dropped a POLAR BEAR, for goodness sakes.   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 12:06:06 AM »
Yeah, them polar bears take some cookin'.  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 04:42:04 AM »

Yeah, drop him candy in a box, then lose him again.

Hmmm, maybe we shoulda put a couple flares in with the candy, eh?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 01:48:05 AM »
psssssst, hey little boy, want some candy?
EPIRB, is that some kind of location tracker or something? I was thinking a radio beacon or gps type thingy
woulda been a good thing to drop too.
Cubs, poor things, probably will be eaten by a boar bear or a shark.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 09:08:25 AM »
Chocolate is not as silly as it sounds. Polar expeditions used to take it along, it's excellent when it's really, but really cold.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner