Author Topic: 16 year old stranded on ice floe, shoots polar bear  (Read 10877 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: 16 year old stranded on ice floe, shoots polar bear
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »
EPIRB, is that some kind of location tracker or something?

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 11:48:55 PM »
It's not Emergency Polar bear Interdiction Railgun, Battery-powered? 

Shucks.   =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 12:29:23 AM »
It is a minor thing and I don't get too worked up over it, but calling hunting harvesting has always seemed a little creepy to me.

One can use "harvesting" and it is correct, the same as if one had used "killing." However, neither are an accurate representation of the act of hunting.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 05:50:20 PM »
Chocolate is not as silly as it sounds. Polar expeditions used to take it along, it's excellent when it's really, but really cold.

No one was criticizing the chocolate, it was the lack of anything else rational in the box.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 08:08:07 PM »
One can use "harvesting" and it is correct, the same as if one had used "killing." However, neither are an accurate representation of the act of hunting.

I wonder how far back "harvest" has been used to refer to the act of hunting.

I bet it transcends any of your guys' attempts to turn it into some sort of liberal academia-originated conspiracy.

Harvest is a very artful word and implies a skilled investment of labor to obtain a tangible good, brought forth from nature for man's consumption.  In that light, how is a successful hunt, not a harvest?

It's association with Death is quite natural too.  Harvests come in autumn as everything winds down and winter cold descends.  We pluck sustenance from plants that grow from the earth and sever its ability to live, so that we might draw life from it through the winter.  The Reaper even carries a scythe with which he harvests the souls of those he has been sent to claim.

It wouldn't shock me in the least to read some 17th or 18th century text and see a reference to a successful hunt as a harvest.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »
Dude, ok so you like to say harvest. No ones calling you a liberal because of it. Apparently a little poetical but that's all. :P

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »
I don't have any affectation one way or another to the word.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 08:18:59 PM »
I don't have any affectation one way or another to the word.

I do not think it means what you think it means...  :angel:  :laugh:

Just saying I'm not picking a fight with you. Maybe it's been around a long time, but I do know that some people use it in the way I'm thinking of.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »

You dare enter into a battle of wits with me?

Ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?  Morons!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/affectation

Check out 4a and 4b.  Older uses and obsolete according to Random House... but then again "harvest" is rather obscure for a reference to hunting.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!  The most famous is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" but only slightly less well known is this:  Never go in against the Redhawk, when death is on the line!  Hah hah! Hah hah! Hah hah hah!

Looks around, comes to senses, got way too into this post. =D
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
If you can make smilie Inigo the right size I will totally make it my avatar...  =D

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »

It's no Tuttle... but it should do the trick.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 09:12:15 PM »
Can I use it from that host, or would you prefer I throw it up on mine?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 09:13:11 PM »
Go ahead and copy it... It's all yours.
--Lysander Spooner

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 02:28:49 AM »
psssssst, hey little boy, want some candy? EPIRB, is that some kind of location tracker or something? I was thinking a radio beacon or gps type thingy
woulda been a good thing to drop too.
Cubs, poor things, probably will be eaten by a boar bear or a shark.

EPIRBs are locator beacons that are used on boats. The signal is picked up by satellite and relayed to the CG with location and vessel name. Every now and then the USCG will call us or the harbormaster to locate and check on a specific vessel in our harbor because their EPIRB is actvated. The EPIRBs are serial numbered to the vessel and generally only activate when the vessel goes under and the beacon floats free.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.