Author Topic: 14x16x1 pleated furnace filter  (Read 4631 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
14x16x1 pleated furnace filter
« on: September 17, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »
the last time i ordered a case of these, flanders precisionaire listed them as model 80055.01299.  currently that number goes to a different size.  if anyone knows of a supplier for this 14x16x1 pleated furnace air filter i would appreciate if you pass the info on to me.

thanks!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: 14x16x1 pleated furnace filter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
Stupid Flanders!

http://www.airfiltersdelivered.com/air-filters/1inch/14x16x1.html

Unfortunately, 14x16x1 seems to be a somewhat uncommon filter size.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
Stupid Flanders!

Pretty nice site! My furnace also has an odd sized filter so I'll be looking for one ther.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:33:41 PM »
Home Depot used to sell Flanders. I always had to be very careful because the company has a very loose definition of their measurements. I need a 20x20 for mine, and up to 20.25" made it VERY difficult to get it into the filter compartment. Larger than that and it was a complete no.

HD dropped the Flanders line some months ago and are now selling HD branded filters made by Rheem. They're pretty much spot on size wise.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
The first furnace my folks had in their house was an odd size, always a PITA to find filters (usually involving a trip to either the other side of town or state, never got them at the same place twice.)

When it finally gave up the ghost one thing dad insisted on was the filter be a size that was in common use, could be ready found not at any hardware/big box store but all of them, Lowes, Menards, HD, Ace, True Value.

I remember Dad telling the guy, "If I go to the hardware store and the don't carry them, I will personally come to your house and drag you to every store until we find them and make you buy every single one they have so that I have enough stock to never run out."

Had the installer been a dog he would have had his tail between his legs.  DO NOT PISS OFF DAD.  (Trust me on that.) 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »
your right about it not being a common size.  this furnace was installed about 10 years ago, so i would've thought it could use current sized filters.  i'm almost tempted to rip out the old filter assembly and put a nice large one in for better circulation anyway.

thanks for the links! i had a number of them come up when i searched but then none would have the right size when i reached the checkout.  lowes appears to have some i can order, and they're only 40 minutes away.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
I looked at the page and didn't see one 14x16x1 filter.

Doh!  I shoulda looked closer.

Why not have a reusable filter made?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »
None of my distributors carry the filter in that size. They do list it.

Mine uses 2 14x20's. I pick them up by the case when I'm getting other parts. When I replace this furnace, I'll go with something 2" thick or maybe an electronic.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »

Brad

most of the washable filters don't catch the finer particles.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:04 AM »

Brad

Amazon's search engine, unfortunately will give returns on anything with the word "filter" in it regardless if it the right one or not. I've been caught by it as well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:52:21 AM »
Is your ductwork such that you could easily drop in a larger filter box?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 11:03:51 AM »
Is your ductwork such that you could easily drop in a larger filter box?

it's a little cramped,but it could be done. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
I wonder what a larger filter box would do to the air flow overall. It could have some negative effects.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 12:04:33 PM »
I wonder what a larger filter box would do to the air flow overall. It could have some negative effects.

Standard pleated filters already have a lot of static pressure drop, the ones I've measured come in at about 0.32-0.36 inWc brand new, and more like 0.45-0.50 inWc when loaded up.  In comparison, the whole rest of the duct system is typically designed at 0.5 inWc.  Because the filter is a very restrictive part of the overall system, losses from duct-work transitions [straight ones typically having low frictions losses] would most likely in my opinion be well offset by having additional filter surface area.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
most of the washable filters don't catch the finer particles.

Wouldn't the filtration efficiency of washable units be completely depended on media type and layering?  Before I changed out my system I had a washable multi-layer filter.  A HEPA filter it was not, but it did a wonderful job of catching fine particulates.  There was a noticeable reduction in fine dust after I went from pleated paper to the washable filter, and a noticeable increase when I redid my AC and was forced back to pleated paper (the air handler size and position doesn't allow enough room to insert a rigid filter frame  =( ).

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 01:27:59 PM »
I was actually thinking more along the lines of turbulence interference.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 01:57:45 PM »
I was actually thinking more along the lines of turbulence interference.

Could you use a psycho-frakulator?

Brad
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »
Hmmmm, get a 14 x 20 or a 16 x 20 then using scissors and tape reduce the appropriate dimension to what you need. It's a bit of an art and the slower of the two methods. The other is to just fold them over to the right size, if you only have to fold one side and you're neat about it and do a kind of "hospital fold" in the sides where you bend it they will usually slide in and out fairly easy. I fold them over then smoosh the frame down a bit where it overlaps.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »
Could you use a psycho-frakulator?

Brad

Only if the garbalitz is rembinulated.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »
Stupid Flanders!

Necro thread! but not mummified

Thanks Mike. I just now got around to ordering from them. Luckily, I hid it in my favorites and forgot about it! :facepalm:

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
Only if the garbalitz is rembinulated.

Idiot!  That will cause immediate sinusoidal repleneration!  

Also, don't overdo it if you go bigger.  My filter is a 36x20, which is nearly as impossible to find.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 06:50:27 AM »
maybe 2 18x20's?    (though that may cause the nebulators to self inglobulize!)    :-X

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 09:07:14 AM »
maybe 2 18x20's?    (though that may cause the nebulators to self inglobulize!)    :-X

And duct tape!