Author Topic: 16 and Pregnant reduces pregnancies.  (Read 955 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
16 and Pregnant reduces pregnancies.
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
http://www.npr.org/2014/01/13/262175399/is-16-and-pregnant-an-effective-form-of-birth-control?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

I agree that this show is depressing.  It made my wife and I want all the more to call for licenses to have children.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: 16 and Pregnant reduces pregnancies.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »
I think I heard it as one of those statistical facts of life, graduate high school and don't have kids until your 20's and your odds of succeeding in life go up greatly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »
I think I heard it as one of those statistical facts of life, graduate high school and don't have kids until your 20's and your odds of succeeding in life go up greatly. 

I think the other two tips that usually go along with those stats are 1) avoid illegal drugs, and 2) don't commit crimes.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »

Add to that, getting and staying married.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »

I've seen that correlation before.  I wonder if there's a causative factor there (i.e. being stably married makes it easier to succeed) or if it's just correlated (i.e. the skillset needed to succeed in life is the same set needed to keep a marriage running).

Would be an interesting study.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »

Oddly, I always seemed to have more disposable cash than my married associates. I know the plural of ancedotal is not "data", but it is quite a bit of a sample pool.

I concur with the rest. Don't do drugs, get some kind of education, don't crank out kids until ready and don't get caught doing stupid things. You're pretty good to go.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
I've never watched the show.  I assumed it was glamorizing teen pregnancy, more or less turning it into a rock video with a happy ending.  Maybe it's showing reality enough to scare kids into taking precautions...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »
I've seen that correlation before.  I wonder if there's a causative factor there (i.e. being stably married makes it easier to succeed) or if it's just correlated (i.e. the skillset needed to succeed in life is the same set needed to keep a marriage running).

Would be an interesting study.
Being stably married is expensive, and most marital fights are over finances.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »
Being stably married is expensive, and most marital fights are over finances.

Why do you say that?

I ask because mine sure isn't.  My house is more then I would have by myself, but not twice.  same with utilities, food and such.  Car's I guess are double because I'd still have a fast car and truck, so her explorer is just added on.  Income (roughly) doubles, but expenses don't.  at least in mine.

I suppose that adding kids in makes it expensive, but that (having kids) doesn't seem to have much correlation with marriage anymore.

Quote from: Revdisk
Oddly, I always seemed to have more disposable cash than my married associates. I know the plural of ancedotal is not "data", but it is quite a bit of a sample pool.

Odd indeed.  I (and my wife) have way more disposable income then our single friends.  Weird. Of course, a quick mental tally of the single folks we know, only one is what I'd call successful.  Most stuck at a not great career level and many have some kind of child support payment. (or the kid)  Which is probably why I took lee's statement at face value.  At least of the folks I know stable marriage correlates with stable financials and upwardly mobile career path.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »
Generally I had way more disposable income when single, but perhaps that was mostly because I lived so cheap and on the move.  Little or no rent because I lived in a camper trailer.

That said we don't argue much about money.  I make it and she spends it  ;)   :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »
My wife is training to be a dental assistant. I'm looking forward to that income
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog