Author Topic: 14: 5 1/4 stone  (Read 3067 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
14: 5 1/4 stone
« on: April 22, 2016, 03:02:00 AM »
Was checking a new bathroom scale against the old one which was getting hard to read because of a crack in the lens thing.  Don't know how that happened, but anyhow, the old scale read 197.0 lb, the new one 196.2 with me stark naked, freshly shaved, my teeth brushed, and bladder evacuated.  Oh, and my nails clipped.  Every milligram counts, you know.  

I leave it to you to surmise what else I'm full of.

Less than a 1/2% error between them... hey, not bad, considering that for most of my life, voltmeters of 1% DC accuracy* were considered the cat's pajamas, the bee's knees, the top bananas, the ultimate in electronic instrumentation, almost National Bureau of Standards acc-yer-it.

I set both scales on a piece of stiff particle board and they were at room temperature.  So I put my heavy terrycloth robe back on and just for grins, wanted to see how heavy the robe was, by subtraction.

Damn new scale read 14: 5 1/4, which obviously, is the British stone measurement.  But I hadn't changed anything.  It switched over to Stone all by itself.  When it first popped up I thought somehow the scale was trying to tell me the time.  

Next time I tried it with the robe on, it showed 89, which is kilograms, I guess, and once again, I had not changed anything or bumped it, or let cold air hit it, nothing.

I guess it's a low battery, I'll check that out and read the manual to see how to switch back to good ole 'murrican lbs with a decimal point.

Interesting how it seemed to rotate between measurement systems, though, all by itself.

The robe, by the way, weighs 5 lb.  It's a really thick, thick terrycloth.

Terry, overweight anyhow as usual.

* Although this comparison does not show "accuracy," it was startling to see that kind of agreement between scales by different manufacturers built at least ten years apart.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:44:54 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: 14: 5 1/4 stone
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 06:28:33 AM »
In the Adventures of Tintin: The Castafiore Emerald, opera diva Bianca Castafiore laments that a tabloid has claimed her weight to be 14 stone.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
In the Adventures of Tintin: The Castafiore Emerald, opera diva Bianca Castafiore laments that a tabloid has claimed her weight to be 14 stone.

LOL...

"Captain Fatsock!"

"Hammock"

"Padlock"

I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 10:28:22 AM »

;/

This is why I use the cheap old-fashioned spring loaded scales.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 10:37:50 AM »
My cheap digital scale that I'm going to toss has a 10lb variation depending on minute differences in foot placement.  Worthless.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 10:38:48 AM »
Terry, overweight anyhow as usual.

I'm just short for my weight.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 10:39:30 AM »
I never use scales as they are unnecessary.  I self identify as my younger self of 190 pounds of rippling musculature and 3% body fat. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
I never use scales as they are unnecessary.  I self identify as my younger self of 190 pounds of rippling musculature and 3% body fat. :P

I'm sorry. That's not possible. You see, I self-identify as a somewhat younger you, and I lay about all day, eating large amounts of ice cream, and bacon cheeseburgers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »
Ahh, but so do I and I also self identify as immune to any negative ramifications.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »

I'm just short for my weight.

I've been 193 +/- 0.5 lb for over a year, then found this spike to 197, that's why I got the old scale out to check it.  

Didn't do anything special to stay that weight, except that extra resolution is helpful as a warning, which is why I've been so stable.

You know, eat only three pork chops at a sitting instead of four... that kind of warning. :)

But I haven't weighed myself in over a month, which is I guess why I gained the extra ~4 lbs. Haven't been watching it.

My cheap digital scale that I'm going to toss has a 10lb variation depending on minute differences in foot placement.  Worthless.

Had the same problem with the new one when I got it, but only 5 lbs' worth of scatter, tops.  

Found that one of the feet was a little shorter than the others so it rocked slightly.  Shimmed it out.  That's why I put them both on the flat board --not a granite surface plate, but OK for the purpose.

You can change the units setting, but the instructions only say you can change it to kg.  I guess the Stone setting was an unadvertised bonus.

Maybe there's a setting for talents, too.  As in 12 talents of silver.

What's the plural of "Stone" anyhow?  Pound(s), gram(s), grain(s), but I always hear it as "He weighed 12 stone".... no "s."

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talent_(measurement)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:33:57 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:55 PM »
Double post.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 12:36:40 AM »
What's the plural of "Stone" anyhow?  Pound(s), gram(s), grain(s), but I always hear it as "He weighed 12 stone".... no "s."

You expect common sense from people who use "stone" as a unit of measure?  That's like having a color named "crayon."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 03:06:52 AM »
And we still use grains.  Heh.

Amusingly, in poking around with this stuff I looked up "dram," as in weights of black powder.  I made the interesting discovery that

Dram is used informally to mean a small amount of spirituous liquor, especially Scotch whisky.[4] The unit is referenced by the phrase dram shop, the U.S. legal term for an establishment that serves alcoholic beverages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dram_(unit)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:28 AM »
My cheap digital scale that I'm going to toss has a 10lb variation depending on minute differences in foot placement.  Worthless.

We had one that would alter the weight by as much as fifteen pounds depending on which foot was bearing more weight.  Shift left or right, gain or lose 15 pounds.  Went back to a spring scale with a dial.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 04:58:10 AM »
That would drive me nuts.  I almost don't care that much about absolute accuracy, or even units, as long as it has precision and consistency. I need results to a half pound or a quarter kilo for my purposes.  I was only half-kidding about shaving and brushing my teeth before stepping on the scale.  I had a consistent little ritual so I could tell when to start eating celery instead of bacon double cheeseburgers.

I weighed myself every day and kept records for literally a decade.  The only reason I had not weighed myself for a while was it started to become very consistent at 193 +/- 1/2 pounds, so I started to slack off on the daily check.

That'll teach me.  I was surprised by the weight gain and that's when I decided to compare scales and incidentally discovered the "stone" units on the new one.

Well, all in all, as I get older, weight control gets more and more of a daily battle.

I'm going to hang up my clipboard with my daily weight chart in the bathroom again and charge into that battle once more.

https://youtu.be/Vna4AAC1bdE

A-roar-harrr!

Terry

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:13:47 AM by 230RN »