Author Topic: 15,000 Feet on a Paramotor  (Read 1839 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
15,000 Feet on a Paramotor
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:43:52 AM »
Pretty cool. I'd be a little nervous.   :laugh:

I'm not sure what the regs are on these things. I'm surprised he didn't have to file any kind of flight plan for that altitude (or maybe he just didn't mention it?). Don't know what the airspace designation is there, airports, etc.

https://youtu.be/l8GlZBKLieo
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: 15,000 Feet on a Paramotor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »
Not sure what country he is in, but in the US flight plans are seldom required, which is a good thing.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »
A friend of mine helps out with a local paramotor company.  I'm going to have to seriously look into that a little more.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:37:10 AM »
Not sure what country he is in, but in the US flight plans are seldom required, which is a good thing.

It sounded like he was in PA. I was just curious on if that type of aircraft would have any special regs in the vicinity of class c or even d or higher. Just because it's an unexpected type at that altitude and appears to be a little unmaneuverable for collision avoidance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:22:43 PM »
Oh, God!

I looked, but I had to take several breaks, and skip forward through a number of spots. I have pretty severe acrophobia, and just watching that video made me VERY queasy. I don't think I could ever fly one of those things.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
It sounded like he was in PA. I was just curious on if that type of aircraft would have any special regs in the vicinity of class c or even d or higher. Just because it's an unexpected type at that altitude and appears to be a little unmaneuverable for collision avoidance.

I think that aircraft would prohibited from class B and C airspace, but I'm not up to speed on ultralight regs.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »
Regs on ultralights in certain airspace.

103.17 Operations in certain airspace.

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »
Oh, God!

I looked, but I had to take several breaks, and skip forward through a number of spots. I have pretty severe acrophobia, and just watching that video made me VERY queasy. I don't think I could ever fly one of those things.

Funny, I'm generally good with heights, having hung out of helos and all, but a couple of segments in the video even got me. A couple of the ones where his feet came into view and he was swinging around. I guess because I was processing them as just some guy sitting in a chair at 15,000'. He's obviously well strapped in, but my brain didn't connect that. I wonder if they wear a backup parachute or anything?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
Regs on ultralights in certain airspace.

Okay, interesting. I'd be curious to know his coordinates. Not at all familiar with airport density in that region. I'm also curious on how far those things can drift if they catch wind, and how hard it is to course correct. From what I remember, he was reporting around 10 ground speed. Not sure if he meant mph or kts.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »
I wonder if they wear a backup parachute or anything?

Generally no.  It didn't look like he was either.

Normally, those guys fly low and slow, so a parachute won't help much.  Besides, the aircraft IS a parachute.   =D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
Besides, the aircraft IS a parachute.   =D

Beat me to it.  =D

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 04:54:10 PM »
I could make it to 15 feet.

Which is about the height of my balcony, so I'm used to it.

That foot-dangling, though.... whew!

Fascinating video, is that a world record?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »
That looks way cool. I would love to try it but not interested in making that kind of altitude.
Looks like some complete kits out there for about $4k and going up to about $8k.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 07:00:08 PM »
That looks way cool. I would love to try it but not interested in making that kind of altitude.
Looks like some complete kits out there for about $4k and going up to about $8k.
Talked to my friend about costs and he said to expect $1600-$2000 for lessons.  Equipment runs anywhere from $3500-$4500 for used equipment and $10k for new, fast and lightweight gear.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 07:14:08 PM »
Hawkmoon, here's nice low altitude run I found when I went down the rabbit hole of the OP.
https://youtu.be/TslmDiA6GBs
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
Talked to my friend about costs and he said to expect $1600-$2000 for lessons.  Equipment runs anywhere from $3500-$4500 for used equipment and $10k for new, fast and lightweight gear.

It would be kinda cool to tool around over the farm. I've got a ginormous landing area, at least when the corn isn't fully grown. Just would have to keep an eye out for the crazy crop dusters. :laugh:

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 08:15:18 PM »
One problem that guy could have is that I didn't see him using O2.

§ 91.211 Supplemental oxygen.
(a)General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry -

(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;

(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the entire flight time at those altitudes; and

(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant of the aircraft is provided with supplemental oxygen.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 08:19:55 PM »

That being said,  I wonder how accurate his altimeter app was.  I've been over 12k feet hiking,  and the air is noticeably thinner.  Figure he isn't affected from lack of physical activity?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 08:39:22 PM »

I was wondering about that too, but like Andiron, I've been hiking at 12k' plus. When we did a straight charge up the mountain without acclimating for a day first, it made us a bit nauseous, and gave us headaches, but no disorientation. With a day's acclimation at around 8K', nothing.

I don't know when disorientation would kick in. In ASTC school, the chamber ride was to like 24K' when they made us pop our masks. That definitely causes hypoxia disorientation to kick in for everyone. I think the FAA rules are probably pretty conservative. I'm not sure when the Everest climbers start huffing O2, but I think it's around 14-15K.

All that said, if I were him I would have brought a small O2 bottle with me, THen again, his original plan was to 12k', so he seems to be a spur of the moment kinda guy.  :laugh:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 09:14:12 PM »
I did 12.5K as a 14 year old.  I can't recall any breathing problems at all.

Nice and cold in the middle of July,  though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »
I bought a small can of oxygen a couple of years ago at Walgreen's, about $14.00, just in case.  Never used it. The can even has a sort of half-assed mouthpiece on it.  Here's a sample of what's out there, but there are other vendors:

https://www.getnakedair.com/?gclid=CNmdxNCD0NMCFYGBaQodPqEHVw

Apparently, some folks use it to get high.  (Not a pun.)  And to help with hangover-type things.

I thought he said something about "air" at about a minute, but I think he was referring to either the temperature, air flow, or altitude.  Couldn't quite make it out.  I thought he was sounding a little "hesitant" above 12,000 feet, but maybe I was just expecting that, and therefore "heard" it.

Worst part for this old coot was when he was doing that spinning bit.  Erk.

Best part was landing.  The suspense was sort of like those movies where the hero is in dire deadly danger, yet you know the writers can't actually get him killed.  Kind of an edge of the seat thing disunirregardless.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:32:14 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 10:05:23 PM »
Years ago I drove up Pike's Peak. Summit elevation is 14,115 feet. I didn't "need" oxygen, but just walking from the car park to the concession building on a cool day resulted in fatigue and sweating.

The car I owned then had vacuum operated windshield wipers. Drove through fog/mist on the way up, and down. The wipers stopped working at around elevation 10,000 or 11,000 feet. Even at the base (which is around 7,000 feet) they were lazy. I thought they were broken -- until I got back to lower elevations and they were miraculously "fixed." I had that car for another ten years, and the wipers never gave me any problems -- as long as I stayed under 6,000 feet.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 12:03:50 AM »
In Hawaii we jumped at 12,000 feet.  Definitively felt the lack of oxygen.   Fortunately, we weren't at that altitude very long.    Pulled the cord at 5,000 ft.

The cool part was jumping out over the ocean.....way out over the ocean, and being blown back to the island (Oahu) by the winds.   Very calm and peaceful descent.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 12:09:37 AM »
The cool part was jumping out over the ocean.....way out over the ocean, and being blown back to the island (Oahu) by the winds.   Very calm and peaceful descent.

I think that would scare me. :)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 05:41:37 AM »
In Hawaii we jumped at 12,000 feet.  Definitively felt the lack of oxygen.   Fortunately, we weren't at that altitude very long.    Pulled the cord at 5,000 ft.

I wonder, would somebody acclimated to 6k feet or so (colorado springs), notice as much?