Author Topic: Whats worth paying for?  (Read 1937 times)

bratch

• friend
Whats worth paying for?
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:55:36 AM »
As a spin off of the "You get what you pay for" thread; whats worth paying for?  I noticed most people mentioned shoes, furniture, and to a point clothes.  So what brand of shoes are worth their price, furniture, clothing?  I'm interested in hearing what everybody has been happy with to save me and everybody else some headaches in the future.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:20:27 AM »
I'm into Cycling, fishing, guns, hiking, camping, and a few other outdoors activities.
What's worth paying for?
Clothing:  Quality clothing apporopriate for the chosen activity.  Usually that means moisture wicking, fleece, waterproof, windproof.  
Bikes:  Going cheap on a bicycle isn't really an option, especially when you're going to use it for several thousand miles a season.  
Waders:  I'm going to buy my third pair this winter.  I went cheap, twice, and am going to end up buying a good pair this time.  
Camping gear:  A decent tent, good warm sleeping bag, a good stove, a good lantern.  Scrimping when you're 4 hours from civilization isn't a fun idea.
Of course, I love getting stuff on sale.  Its last years model, out of style, or the latest and greatest just made it obsolete.  
There are places to cut corners.  I've never paid for high-end fishing line.  Always have bought mid range fishing poles.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:52:59 AM »
hookers

Smiley
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 10:33:49 AM »
To me?

Buy a decent car, something not necessairialy that is luxurious or fast, but something that is still gonna run 200,000 miles from now.

Buy a computer that is put together well, not one made to throw out at the first sign of trouble.  It'll make you much happier in the end.  I spent a few more dollars on this than I probably could have bought a similiar system from like Dell or Gateway, but it has never failed me.

I like durable guns.  Fortunately for me, this means inexpensive, as most milsurps are about as tough as tehy come.

Good education is another.  I could have went to a couple local colleges for practically nothing, I went to one that didn't cut me much of a break in price but is a much more academically superior school.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

TarpleyG

• friend
Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 10:34:46 AM »
You know what ISN'T worth paying for?  A $550 XBox box, that's what.

Greg

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 11:54:55 AM »
Tarpley, some would say the same about a $550 gun.  It is all a matter of opinion.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 12:46:31 PM »
Tires.  You can go to Wally World and buy some off-brand, cheapest-that-will-fit tires, but the Michelin ads are true.
You have alot riding on your tires.

Michelin as a brand is good, but overpriced. Don't buy tires "by brand".
My suggestion? Go to www.tirerack.com and look at the customer surveys/ratings.  Figure out the size and type you need, and only order a tire that lands in the top 2 or 3 rated within that category.

You can get some GREAT deals by doing this, and they are QUALITY tires.  
Don't be afraid to buy Kumho, Toyo, Sumitomo, and others.  If the UTQG rating is high, and the surveys are favorable,
Buy 'em.

crt360

• friend
Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 01:24:55 PM »
I've had a set of Kumhos on my Toyota for a little over a year now and they've been great.  I've had Dunlop, Pirelli, Kelly, Yokohama and some other kind of tire on this car and these cheap Kumhos are at least as good as the Kellys (which, surprisingly, were way better than the Dunlop or Pirelli) and maybe as good as the Yokohama (which were quite good, but had very short tread life).

Other stuff worth paying for:  I agree with everything mentioned so far, plus a good knife, dentist, lawyer, and mechanic.
For entertainment purposes only.

HForrest

Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 01:42:11 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Tarpley, some would say the same about a $550 gun.  It is all a matter of opinion.
I think he meant paying $550 for, literally, the box of the X-box was a waste of money.
http://armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=1899

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 02:13:52 PM »
Hey, it was a NICE BOX!!

Worth every penny of $550 plus shipping

LMAO...

Go to the salvation army outlet, peruse the used books and pick out a few good classics for $0.25. If you're real careful you might find a good first edition.

Then theres these Italian mountain boots I get at EMS, they're worth the $ too I think.

and for jefnvk, I have a lovely 1990 Plymouth Acclaim with 82K on it, it's probably got AT LEAST 200K left. rolleyes

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

brimic

• friends
Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 02:20:26 PM »
hookers
And lawyers.

Ironically enough, they charge roughly the same hourly rates.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TarpleyG

• friend
Whats worth paying for?
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 12:26:10 PM »
Just thought of another one last night...good waitstaff service.  I don't hesitate to tip well if they are on the ball.  Not being on the ball really gets under my skin.

Greg