Author Topic: Whatcha Reading  (Read 4224 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 05:01:23 AM »
Alas, work related crap.  

John Owen's Death of Death in the Death of Christ has been paused 2/3 of the way through, while I got past a necessary certification I was worried about.  

I'd hoped to resume that but we just took on a project that requires me to be competent to modify, and ideally generate short visual basic scripts, and the last programming I've done other than tweaking dos batch files was in, uhh, 1988.  So,  what I'll be reading for the next few days is Micro$oft "Doze Administrator's Automation Toolkit, and then I get to pick up an equally boring and ephemeral M$ book on manipulating group policy.  Then I'll need to find a good book on DNS.  Resume enhnacement.

Patrick Sweeney's Gunsmithing: Pistols and Revolvers is in the queue, but it's not a book you'd read straight through.

edited to add

This week's sweep through Borders found me buying Kyle Dent's Postfix, the Definitive Guide, because one of the things the old consultants left behind was a mail server running Postfix, with a minor glitch.  It it's work related, I may as well get something I halfway want to read.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Norton

• friend
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2006, 05:27:59 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
I just recently read "Marine Sniper". Struck me as a sad story. I also read "Marine!" The story of Chesty Puller right afterward. Made me wish I was 30 years younger so I could join the Marines...

shocked
I can see you point, what with the way that his life ended so early.

I also can see another side of it as being inspirational in that Mr. Hathcock found his calling (marksmanship, not necessarily sniping) and was able to pursue his passion to the very highest level (at the age of 23 if I recall).  I took it as an affirmation that I should work a lot harder at taking advantage of the time I have in this world.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 05:39:09 AM »
Just finished:
Atlas Shrugged and We the Living - Ayn Rand
The Far Side of the World - Patrick O'Brian (better than the movie, will have to look at his other stuff...)
The Davinci Code and Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, Birds of Prey, Eye of the Tiger - Wilbur Smith
Original version of Melville's Moby Dick

Working on:
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Eon - Greg Bear
Fred Saberhagen's "Berserker" series of books
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

DrAmazon

• friend
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 06:06:33 AM »
I'm into 3 nonfiction books at the moment.  Two science ones

Before the Fallout: From the Curies to Hiroshima.  Really good historical account of the development of nuclear physics and the bomb.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802714455/sr=1-1/qid=1137164265/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2442537-4651339?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Winter World: The Ingenuity of Animal Survival.  Naturalist account of winter adaptations for animal survival. This guy is such a great writer, you can almost see the critters in the forest as you are reading.  Good description of the science for laymen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060197447/qid=1137164410/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-2442537-4651339?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

A Great Improvisation, Franklin, France and the Birth of America.  I'm struggling with this one.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805066330/qid=1137164545/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/102-2442537-4651339?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
Experiment with a chemist!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 07:40:12 AM »
I also can see another side of it as being inspirational in that Mr. Hathcock found his calling (marksmanship, not necessarily sniping) and was able to pursue his passion to the very highest level (at the age of 23 if I recall).
Very true. I'll admit to being a little surprised that he had achieved his notoriety as well as his body count in VN by the time he was 26. I would have expected him to be much older for some reason. But that's the service for you. I went from operating a 1200 lb steam plant in the Navy at age 23 to being barely qualified to push a broom in the civilian world.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 12:27:01 PM »
Going through the James Herriott books. Next on the list will be Grey Seas Under by Farley Mowat.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Dannyboy

• friend
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 06:10:44 PM »
Right now I'm switching between Scribbling the Cat by Alexandra Fuller and Revolt in the Desert by T.E. Lawrence.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

esheato

• friend
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 07:42:46 PM »
Atlas Shrugged. Although I'm being slow getting into it.

Your welcome Fig. Smiley I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

Ed

TNGO

Whatcha Reading
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 09:34:17 PM »
Last book read was ChattanoogaA Death Grip On The Confederacy by James Lee McDonough.

Currently reading To Fly And Fight: Memoirs of a Triple Ace by Clarence E. "Bud" Anderson and Joseph P. Hamelin. Autobiography of a man described by Chuck Yeager as the "best fighter pilot I've ever seen."

Also reading the Life Application Study Bible, trying to be a better man.

Stickjockey

• friend
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 06:28:04 AM »
Currently about halfway through 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and just starting An Army at Dawn.

Bermbuster-

Haven't read Lamb, but Island of the Sequined Love Nun was a hoot.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Iain

• friend
Whatcha Reading
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 07:15:40 AM »
Bob Benedetto's book about building an archtop guitar.

Was also lent Noah Adams' Far Appalachia recently but have only read a few pages.

I don't read as much as I used to, and sometimes I sort of feel guilty about that.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

...has left the building.

Whatcha Reading
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 07:18:04 AM »
American Psycho by Ellis.