Author Topic: whats paul watson gonna do for a living?  (Read 1193 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
whats paul watson gonna do for a living?
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/22/AR2010022202365.html

Panel proposes support for whaling in exchange for limits

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 23, 2010

An ad hoc group of the International Whaling Commission suggested Monday that the commission condone commercial whaling for the first time in nearly 30 years in exchange for reducing the number of whales killed each year.

The draft plan, the product of nearly a year and a half of closed-door talks, aims to break a long-standing deadlock between countries that favor whaling and those that oppose it. Only three nations -- Japan, Norway and Iceland -- hunt whales, although they have the support of dozens of other members of the commission.

The proposal does not say exactly how many whales would be killed each year as part of the whaling compromise, which would last for 10 years. Cristian Maquieira of Chile, chairman of the commission's support group, said in his report to the commission that any final deal would "reduce catches significantly from current levels" and "establish caps of takes that are within sustainable levels for a ten year period."

Cutting the number of whales killed each year is seen as an essential part of any global deal, because several countries, including the United States, say that no whales should be hunted in light of a 1986 international moratorium on whaling. The three whaling nations say that the practice is an important part of their culture.

The U.S. commissioner to the whaling commission, Monica Medina, said in an interview that the process remains "incomplete" and that the Obama administration has not decided whether to endorse the document. But she said the administration is eager to find some sort of resolution to the impasse, which has undermined conservation efforts.
ad_icon

Japan kills hundreds of whales each year on the grounds that it is "scientific whaling," a permissible practice under commission rules. Norway and Iceland hunt whales commercially, saying that they do not accept the commission's moratorium. In the 1990s, 300 whales were hunted annually for commercial or scientific purposes; a decade later, that number was 1,000. In the past five years, almost 2,000 whales have been killed each year.

"It's troubling that whales continue to be killed," Medina said. "All of our loudly articulated and strongly felt views have not resulted in an end to commercial and lethal scientific whaling. . . . We view this effort at finding a negotiated solution as an interim step toward full reform of the IWC and its promotion of whale conservation."

Environmentalists condemned the draft plan, saying that it would open the door to official whaling.

"This is a proposal for the long-term conservation of whaling, not whales," said Patrick Ramage, director of the global whale program of the International Fund for Animal Welfare. "In return for insignificant, short-term concessions from Japan, Norway and Iceland, the IWC would legalize commercial whaling in the 21st century."

The governments of Japan, Norway and Iceland could not be reached for comment.

Any final plan that the working group produces would be subject to a vote in June when the commission meets again. Officials from the United States, New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Norway, Antigua and Barbuda, Sweden, Germany, Japan, St. Kitts and Nevis, Iceland, Brazil, Cameroon and Mexico worked on the draft.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Bigjake

• friend
Re: whats paul watson gonna do for a living?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
Maybe they could keel haul him..

Problem solved!

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/16/AR2010021601727.html?waporef=obinsite

Whaling protester to be charged in Japan

By TANALEE SMITH
The Associated Press
Tuesday, February 16, 2010; 8:33 AM

ADELAIDE, Australia -- An anti-whaling activist from New Zealand is in custody on a Japanese vessel and will be taken to Japan to face charges after secretly boarding the ship as part of a protest, officials said Tuesday.

Peter Bethune, a member of the U.S.-based Sea Shepherd activist group, jumped aboard the Shonan Maru 2 from a Jet Ski on Monday with the stated goal of making a citizen's arrest of the ship's captain and presenting him with a $3 million bill for the destruction of a protest ship last month.

The Japanese government has decided to bring Bethune to Japan for questioning, Fisheries Agency official Osamu Ishikawa said. He will be charged with trespassing and assault and tried under Japanese law, Ishikawa said.

He said officials were working out the details of how to transport Bethune to Japan - whether to keep him on the vessel, which will be at sea for a few more weeks, or to drop him off in a port call and fly him back.

The brazen boarding was the latest escalation of a campaign by Sea Shepherd to hamper Japanese whaling activities.

Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research, which sponsors the whale hunt, said Bethune used a knife to cut the vessel's protective net to enable his boarding and that he told whalers he then threw the knife into the sea. The crew treated him for a cut on his thumb he received while boarding, the institute said.

Under Japanese law, intruding on a Japanese vessel without legitimate reasons can bring a prison term of up to three years and a fine up to 100,000 yen (US$1,100).
ad_icon

Bethune was being held in a room by himself with guards posted outside, Fisheries Ministry official Toshinori Uoya said.

New Zealand Foreign Minister Murray McCully said it seemed Bethune's intention was to be detained aboard the whaling ship, but his country nevertheless had an obligation to try to help him and was seeking cooperation from Japanese diplomats.

McCully met Japan's ambassador Tuesday, and New Zealand's top diplomat in Japan met senior officials there Monday.

Sea Shepherd said Bethune demanded the cost of replacing the Ady Gil, an activist ship he captained that was destroyed in a collision with the Shonan Maru 2 last month, and the surrender of the whaling ship's captain on attempted murder charges.

The Ady Gil sank after the collision, though there were only minor injuries.

Japan has six whaling ships in Antarctic waters under its scientific whaling program, an allowed exception to the International Whaling Commission's 1986 ban on commercial whaling. It hunts hundreds of mostly minke whales, which are not an endangered species. Whale meat not used for study is sold for consumption in Japan, which critics say is the real reason for the hunts.

The Sea Shepherd sends vessels to confront the fleet each year, trying to block the whalers from firing harpoons and dangling ropes in the water to try to snarl the Japanese ships' propellers. The whalers have responded by firing water cannons and sonar devices meant to disorient the activists.

---

i would not want to do 3 years in a japanese jail.  it might discourage the others
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:00:28 PM »
Even if it becomes legal, they won't stop....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »
they are running outa countries that will flag their ships.  plus the japanese prisons are not nice

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »
I wish they'd treat pirate like activity as such.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »
Every other animal that has been subject to hunting regulations has not only survived, but actually thrived, increasing their numbers as they become an "asset" rather then a liability.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:21:51 AM »
Crab bait would be a good use for him.  :mad:
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 08:30:12 AM »
Crab bait would be a good use for him.  :mad:
Chum.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »
There are fools                           and then there are                 damn fools :laugh: