Author Topic: What's your top choice weapon for urban defense?  (Read 9713 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: What's your top choice weapon for urban defense?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »
You can if you wear a duster.

Or if you paint the muzzle orange.......

:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 12:07:32 PM »
I'm not sure where you all got "home defense only" out of this?  How is a long arm going to help you when you need to go to the store, or to work?  Keeping in mind, if there is still enough structure that you can't get more then one gun, you're certainly not going to be able to openly carry a rifle at walmart.  :facepalm:

that would be why I changed my choice. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
I would look at something chambered in 9mm or 5.56 since there is plenty of it for military purposes.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 12:41:02 PM »
I'd have to try to make the best of a bad situation.

A Glock 19 and a Mech Tech C.C.U.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »
BAR

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 02:01:33 PM »
I would look at something chambered in 9mm or 5.56 since there is plenty of it for military purposes.

I see a lot of folks use that reasoning.

However, unless you're actually in the .MIL and know what the ammo storage areas are for local armories etc. are, (presuming they're not defended) and how ammo distribution works... the mythical stocks of these "common calibers" would take some time to appear through the black market etc.

IMO, you're one of the few who'd have an idea of what to do and how to procure some of it.

If things are bad enough I'm getting a significant amount of common .MIL calibers as "battlefield pickups", I probably ought to review my plans as to why I and my family are in such a dangerous area.

Having diversification of firearms in your armory into common calibers, 5.56/.223, 7.62x39 and x51 NATO, 9mm, .40, .45. .38/.357 is probably not a bad idea for barter, found ammo etc. it might extend your ability to shoot back, perhaps for years.. But most folks will only ever have what they've stored up in advance.
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »
Currently I have a Mini-14, 2 x 10/22's, a 16 gauge single shot shotgun and two .45 pistols.  Going to be picking up the next couple of days a .270 rifle for my son and more than likely a .40 S&W.  Also in the near future, year or less, I will be getting an m4orgery in 5.56 and a 30.06.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »
I'd have to try to make the best of a bad situation.

A Glock 19 and a Mech Tech C.C.U.

jim

Once mounted to the CCU, you are legally prohibited from ever using your Glock as a pistol ever again.  Original slide must stay off, forever-more.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
Once mounted to the CCU, you are legally prohibited from ever using your Glock as a pistol ever again.  Original slide must stay off, forever-more.
Wrong.
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
http://www.mechtechsys.com/faqs.php
http://www.mechtechsys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=431

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »
Wrong.
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
http://www.mechtechsys.com/faqs.php
http://www.mechtechsys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=431

I sit happily corrected.

Does this then mean also, that a person can build an AR "pistol" and then swap:
-the naked buffer tube for a shoulder stock, and;
-the short upper for a 16" or longer upper;

And freely bounce from pistol to rifle to pistol?  As long as he never puts the short upper on while the buttstock is affixed?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »
I sit happily corrected.
The reasonableness of the ATF in this regard is unnerving.  :laugh:

As for AR pistol/rifle, this bit seems to say yes:

a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made
when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a
barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration
not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
In my life, being a court employee, I'm guessing that civil unrest of this nature means more work for me, which means I get to go to work.  And, if I have to go to work, that means I want a handgun.  9mm would be my choice, simply because I have more 9mm trigger time than any other centerfire semi-auo pistol.  Gun won't do me any good if I have to leave it at home.  And, if I'm driving myself to work, a pistol is an easier weapon to use in a vehicle.

Now, for fun, the OP says that each individual can own one gun.  That means that my wife can also own one gun, as can each of her parents who will come stay with us to combine our resources.  So, in that case, we'll add a pair of M4geries and a Mossberg 590, please.  Actually, on second thought, instead of the shotgun, let my mother-in-law have a 9mm version of the M4gery.  Same manual of arms, less recoil and blast.  She's 5'0" and weights 125lbs.   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
You can't buy a brain at the gun shop.

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

P5 Guy

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »
Well you did state that there was a breakdown and I'm assuming the LEOs and other authority figures have fled.
A short barreled shotgun 12gauge and as much oo buck as I can find. And whatever auto rifle I could get my hands on, by any means. Any grenade launchers out there?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »
Well if everyone else is breaking the law why do I have to follow it? So, I'll stick to my closet from hell from which may emanate AP, tracer, slugs, buck, who knows, depends on what kinda mood I'm in!  =D A situation like in the OP just needs a neighborhood watch. A little proactive planning, a night scope, suppressor, bolt .22 and some 60gr Aguila can make a neighborhood a lot more friendly.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 06:45:38 PM »
i would feel terribly undergunned if i didn't have a rifle.  in situation described i would expect you are looking at every stranger as a potential killer, and would not want to approach anyone that you didn't know.  if cheap were a priority, a simple .22 carbine with interchangable mag and scope would give me more security than a close-up weapon like a handgun.  if the price of ammo and gun were less of an issue, the hk-93 would be hard to beat.  if weight were not a factor, the hk-91.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
As much as I'd like to categorize brains as a firearm they are not. You can't buy a brain at the gun shop.

ah you asked about 
top choice weapons
not specifically firearms, I've been told my mind is particularly dangerous.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »
in situation described i would expect you are looking at every stranger as a potential killer

Not a bad plan, anyway  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2011, 10:45:33 AM »
I think the problem with det cord you were looking for is that because it does not propel a projectile due to the explosive combustion of a chemical propellant it is not a firearm.

stay safe.

I didn't realize det cord was a high explosive since I've never played with any. And yes, I'm looking for answers that involved projectile weapons just as I stated in my original question.

I currently live in Kabul so Washington D.C. would definitely be less safe if I moved.
It's collapsing all around you.

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
ar15.com contains a wealth of good information. (It also includes some silly K-Mart Kommando and uber tactical Mall Ninja stuff, so read with a discerning eye.)

The best video I've come across for assembling an AR is here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w

Thanks to you good sir.
It's collapsing all around you.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »
I would have to give serious thought to a 3-4" .357 revolver.  I rarely feel undergunned with one of these on me.

This, plus ammo is much more available than any other centerfire caliber.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 09:36:33 PM »
As one who came to owning guns later in life (my lifelong curiosity in owning a gun became reality after 9/11) my choice(s) were rather generic.

I bought a 1911 and became very proficient with it in IDPA style training. These days I'm more prone to grab my commander sized 1911 if I'm range bound.

I bought a Remington 870 Police Magnum and have shot it enough to feel comfortable and confident with it as an "option".

My AR15 (16" barrel) has been flawless with m855, m193 and Winchester white box, have some of each on hand. It's hard to miss with the EOTech on it, at the range I just use the irons, as using the EOTech on a straight range gets boring quickly. Don't get a chance to shoot it much living in Chicagoland.

That is basically my "go to" armory in the event of total societal collapse.

Being proficient with the use of any one of them would work in an urban enviro, though the pistol seems more practical to me for city self defense, especially if on a tight budget.

Don't shoot your wad on bling, buy affordable and use the saved cash for training and ammo costs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:42:56 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 10:17:16 PM »
http://youtu.be/bVPLdRReUZ8

(Except not with blanks.)
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 10:42:36 PM »
http://youtu.be/bVPLdRReUZ8

(Except not with blanks.)

Might be a bit of a hassle to drag to the grocery store...