Main Forums > The Roundtable

How much would you like to tip your electronic kiosk today?

<< < (2/13) > >>

Ben:

--- Quote from: MechAg94 on May 10, 2023, 08:59:04 AM ---How can I know if that "tip" actually gets paid out to the employees?

--- End quote ---

Good point. Not only that, but I more often than not tip in cash, even if I use a card to pay, just so the employee can pocket unreported income if they want to.

RoadKingLarry:
I always try to tip cash even when paying with a card for the same reason Ben mentioned.
I do not tip vending machines though. A kiosk where there is no human interaction is just a fancy vending machine.

Brad Johnson:
I am a notoriously generous tipper... when the server is a person. If I'm dealing with a kiosk, I feel no obligation whatsoever to tip.

Brad

HankB:

--- Quote from: Ben on May 10, 2023, 09:03:00 AM ---Good point. Not only that, but I more often than not tip in cash, even if I use a card to pay, just so the employee can pocket unreported income if they want to.

--- End quote ---
Same here.

--- Quote from: RoadKingLarry on May 10, 2023, 09:06:26 AM --- . . .
I do not tip vending machines though. A kiosk where there is no human interaction is just a fancy vending machine.

--- End quote ---
Amen to that.

I notice that more and more restaurants have a "suggested tip" printed on the bill that starts at 18% and goes up. Tip inflation, I guess . . . but on the other hand, sometimes they base the tip on the actual bill, without accounting for any coupons that might have been used. (Like for a free $10 dessert or appetizer.) That actually shorts the server - the waitress shouldn't be shorted because you used a coupon for a freebie.

Ben:

--- Quote from: HankB on May 10, 2023, 09:53:39 AM ---I notice that more and more restaurants have a "suggested tip" printed on the bill that starts at 18% and goes up. Tip inflation, I guess . . . but on the other hand, sometimes they base the tip on the actual bill, without accounting for any coupons that might have been used. (Like for a free $10 dessert or appetizer.) That actually shorts the server - the waitress shouldn't be shorted because you used a coupon for a freebie.

--- End quote ---

What galls me even more is the restaurants that include that 18% tip in your bill, then have the nerve to still insert a "tip" line on it. I know that I have fallen for that before, especially with my old eyes and the low lighting in restaurants, and servers have walked off with like a 50% tip.

https://youtu.be/W4f7KiiB6dM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version