Author Topic: Good sense, reason, decency prevails - liberty intact  (Read 38724 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Good sense, reason, decency prevails - liberty intact
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
In the images you link to above, how are the people any more "indecent" than a person just wearing soccer shorts? They show more skin and are tighter fitting. I'm really confused as to what is revealed in those photos you linked that you feel is indecent?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
People with such delicate sensibilities that they can't stand the sight of a nude human figure should just stay away from public places, and those disgusting art museums as well.  If you want to protect your kid from seeing such things, keep them at home.

Thanks for helping my argument. It's clear which of us has the more reasonable request, at least with regard to nudity. You illustrate perfectly why public nudity laws exist.

I tend to think that a lot of the objections to repealing public nudity laws stem from the same type of fear that causes people to object to repealing laws prohibiting the carry of firearms.  "It will be like the wild west out there, and you will see some perv shaking his junk at you on every street corner!"  As usual, reality does not tend to live up to these hysterical expectations. The State of Vermont does not prohibit public nudity.  The only nudity that you occasionally see there are college kids sitting out by the road trying to be rebellious and piss off old folks, and most of them tend to be hot women. 

So in the absence of laws against public nudity, there is public nudity. But don't worry, it's only occasional, and right next to public thoroughfares!   :laugh:

You can wear a mini-skirt and a low cut belly shirt that actually reveals skin. This law does nothing to address concerns over anatomy being exposed.

What about the sports bra comparison? We can't have women running around wearing just bra's! Their not even wearing shirts!! How is that ok, but a little sag in your pants so people can see your boxers needs to legislated against!

Just look at the pic seeker posted, there's more nudity from her cleavage than from what you see when some guy lets their pants sag.

There seems to be a misconception that the law can't be valid unless we pretend that the back of some guy's underwear is equivalent to some girl's mid-riff. Or unless we pretend that undergarments are the same as outerwear. And, hey, maybe I don't think women (or men) should feel free to go shirtless. I wear an undershirt and a t-shirt, with long pants, when I run. And I hate hot weather more than anyone, so I wouldn't have much patience for whining about such a requirement.

If you really consider being able to see someone's underpants as indecent exposure, I really don't think there is a point to this conversation. I take it you also see all female bathing suits as indecent exposure?

Obviously, some of them are. Maybe this would be easier, if we could reconsider what should really be acceptable in public, and what shouldn't. Not that I want to ban everything that might be unacceptable, or that I don't like. But there's a huge difference between banning saggy drawers that reveal (a lot of) underwear, and banning, say, some of the more conservative women's one-piece swimsuits. One is socially acceptable and intended for outer wear. Practically speaking, there's no chance those will be banned, without a major shift in what our culture considers acceptable. (Or sports bras, or male toplessness.) (Not to mention that swim-wear could be restricted to pools, beaches, etc.)

Now some will insist that government has to be based on rights and facts, and so on, not on cultural norms or societal expectations. Such ideas are extremely naive. The concepts are not separable. I believe our laws should be limited to protecting the rights of the people. And that's all I'm talking about.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2011, 07:54:51 PM »
In the images you link to above, how are the people any more "indecent" than a person just wearing soccer shorts? They show more skin and are tighter fitting. I'm really confused as to what is revealed in those photos you linked that you feel is indecent?

Underwear.
Private parts concealed only by underwear. You don't think it's criminally wrong for a man to expose his underwear-coated behind to your wife? Why?

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:08:38 PM by The artist formerly known as fistful »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »
The opposite is the case. You are the one who draws a parallel between being "accosted by ruffians" and being cited by a police officer. Then you say I want to physically assault people. We obviously can't have a discussion if you're going to make things up about me.

The question asked was in the context of private people acting out violently against saggy-pantsers, which is what Roo_ster seems to also approve of.

So in the absence of laws against public nudity, there is public nudity. But don't worry, it's only occasional, and right next to public thoroughfares!   laugh/quote]

Oh the terror. THE TERROR. HOW WILL WE LIVE.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
Underwear. You don't think it's criminally wrong for a man to expose his underwear-coated behind to your wife? Why?

After all the man is naked. Somewhere under his clothing, he is naked.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »
The question asked was in the context of private people acting out violently against saggy-pantsers, which is what Roo_ster seems to also approve of.

I think you misunderstood what mak and rooster were saying.

So in the absence of laws against public nudity, there is public nudity. But don't worry, it's only occasional, and right next to public thoroughfares!   laugh

Oh the terror. THE TERROR. HOW WILL WE LIVE.

Oh the terror! We have to wear clothes. How will we live!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
Now some will insist that government has to be based on rights and facts, and so on, not on cultural norms or societal expectations. Such ideas are extremely naive.

I prefer naivety to evil.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »
I don't support a law that would penalize someone for the waistband of their boxers or the strap of their bra showing, only when an undergarment is the only thing separating us from their private parts.

What if the law simply said that, if an undergarment is the only thing keeping you from a nudity or exposure charge (the only thing covering a private part) you have committed a lesser offense and get a ticket or citation? Even if you wouldn't agree with it, would that at least be more understandable?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »

Sorry, that's not your other option. The alternative is to create a govt that fails to protect people's rights, or even oppresses them, because you don't understand how the world works, or what you're doing.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
How would you have a legal definition of undergarment?

This is a serious question.

Now, I buy it that briefs are an undergarment for the purpose of this, especially tight ones that effectively outline a person's bodily organs. Hell, I buy the argument that a person wearing such underwear is basically exposing themselves already. (This post is not to be interpreted as any approval of laws banning nudity, however a ban on clothing which renders a person effectively naked is at least intellectually consistent with such bans.)

But this is not what we're talking about, there. The underwear in question are not very different in their design from shorts. Short of a close inspection, it would be difficult to even know - much less prove - it was one way or the other.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:57 PM »
I don't support a law that would penalize someone for the waistband of their boxers or the strap of their bra showing, only when an undergarment is the only thing separating us from their private parts.

What if the law simply said that, if an undergarment is the only thing keeping you from a nudity or exposure charge (the only thing covering a private part) you have committed a lesser offense and get a ticket or citation? Even if you wouldn't agree with it, would that at least be more understandable?

What if they're going commando?

It's still one layer of cloth.  Or is your argument that there must be at least two layers of cloth between "private parts" and air at all times?  Or is there some sort of mil rating on coverings?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
A man wearing soccer shorts and no underwear is "basically exposing himself" in your view? Is it a single layer of fabric that you object to, or just if that fabric is primarily intended as an undergarment even if it is functionally equivalent to "outerwear" shorts? What about union suits?

Underwear.
Private parts concealed only by underwear. You don't think it's criminally wrong for a man to expose his underwear-coated behind to your wife? Why?

Edited for clarity.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2011, 10:22:38 PM »

Not me....evil tends to have some smarts to it.....naive is just naive.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2011, 01:08:29 AM »
You don't think it's criminally wrong for a man to expose his underwear-coated behind to your wife? Why?
Why would it be criminally wrong? I don't get it. It's just buttocks and cloth.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2011, 01:54:27 AM »

You're just trolling at this point, right?   You are pulling the "Elaine" defense?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2011, 02:18:40 AM »
There are a few folks here that are missing out on a lucrative sideline in the manufacture of diamonds.

(reference- Ferris Beuller)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2011, 04:04:17 AM »
What if I have another pair of clothing under my boxers and then sag. Would it be ok then?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

erictank

• friends
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2011, 05:33:50 AM »

Underwear.

Edited for clarity.

Trunks and Speedos, for men, and one-pieces and bikinis for women, are considered "socially-acceptable" in public.

What's the difference between those things and boxers/briefs, or panty & bra, as appropriate?  In each case, the "naughty bits" are fully covered by clothing (and the undergarments are frequently more-substantial than the swimwear!).  Oh sure, there's social perception - but that's mere social perception, subject to change.  Undergarments are titillating because we know they're undergarments - so make them no big deal, like swimwear.

While I may not consider saggy pants to be all that attractive a clothing option, neither do I consider it to be worthy of a law.

Question, Fistful, and if I missed it earlier I apologize - would you support this law being enforced against a slim woman allowing her thong (or even bikini briefs) to show above her beltline by the requisite amount?  I see that more than I see ghetto-boyz with their boxers pulled up to their navels.  Is that a societal problem needing to be solved by application of governmental force, as well?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »

What about swimsuits? Nobody wears underwear under a swimsuit.

Sorry, that's not your other option. The alternative is to create a govt that fails to protect people's rights, or even oppresses them, because you don't understand how the world works, or what you're doing.

We have differing opinions on people's rights.  Being protected from offense is not a right.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »
We have differing opinions on people's rights.  Being protected from offense is not a right.

Indeed. Being able to walk around flashing your underwear is not a right.

Banning offensive things is a power of local governments, though. But it is certainly not a right. Governments don't have rights, they have powers.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
Indeed. Being able to walk around flashing your underwear is not a right.

Banning offensive things is a power of local governments, though. But it is certainly not a right. Governments don't have rights, they have powers.

I'm not sure I agree.

I think one could reasonably claim that "sagging" as depicted in Fistful's pictures is a specific mode of dress intended to display affiliation with a specific sub-culture.  Since it's a mode of dress intended to convey a specific affiliation/message, that would make it speech and protected.

Fistful's issue, as he stated earlier, is that he doesn't like that specific sub-culture and wants to squeeze them out of society.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »
What about the sports bra comparison? We can't have women running around wearing just bra's! Their not even wearing shirts!! How is that ok, but a little sag in your pants so people can see your boxers needs to legislated against!

Exactly; as far as I can tell, this would be perfectly ok with the city:

(Yeah, there's a reason the rest of us wear black bike shorts.)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »

Might want to re-read what I wrote earlier.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

griz

• friend
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
All that's needed is for Fruit Of The Loom to change the label from "mens boxers" to "first amendment outerware".  Presto, problem solved.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2011, 12:37:51 PM »
Quote from: MicroBalrog
The underwear in question are not very different in their design from shorts. Short of a close inspection, it would be difficult to even know - much less prove - it was one way or the other.

A lot of the saggers are wearing briefs or boxer-briefs, instead. Unfortunately, I am an eye-witness to this.
Fistful's issue, as he stated earlier, is that he doesn't like that specific sub-culture and wants to squeeze them out of society.

False. As I actually stated, there is more than one cultural group doing this. I haven't said anything that could be construed as a desire to squeeze anyone out of society. Unless "Pull up your pants," is code language of some kind.

The first amendment doesn't protect everything that might be considered a mode of expression. After all, breaking windows can carry a message.