Author Topic: Wasps in the outbuilding  (Read 5873 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Wasps in the outbuilding
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »
We get these suckers around the house:

They're fairly calm, but they'll build nests damn near everywhere. I have to remove several nests out of my SUV every summer. They like to crawl into the cracks around the doors and build them on the door frame just outside the weatherstripping. RAID kills em quick, as does citrus oils.

There are some more aggressive buggers down by the river, but I don't mess with them if they don't mess with me.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2016, 10:35:56 PM »

There are some more aggressive buggers down by the river, but I don't mess with them if they don't mess with me.

I suppose that rather than a SUV, those live in a van.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »
I suppose that rather than a SUV, those live in a van.

:laugh:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
Surprised no one mentioned this:

CRC chlorinated brake cleaner (red can), non flammable.

Buy two cans
Find the nest, wait until dark, soak the nest with one can   [ar15], holding the second in reserve.

Immediate kill, relatively non toxic to anything except bugs.  Cheap.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2016, 08:12:24 AM »
Last colony of ground dwelling Yellow Jackets I dealt with I used a a couple of pounds of dry ice and a wash tub.

Poured the dry ice over the hole and inverted the tub over it.

What the cold didn't kill outright the CO2 smothered. But I left the tub over the hole for a couple of days to make absolutely sure.

Like.  Creative.

One single one damned near killed me on my motorcycle.  Was tooling along about 40MPH on a hot summer day.  Shirt collar open.  One (something) went down my shirt and stung me two-three times.  

Almost lost complete control and nearly went into a bridge column.  Finally pulled over and got it out of my shirt.  Don't know what it was, didn't care.  Had wings.  Corpse was pretty crumpled up from swatting at it.  

Looked like I had a couple extra nipples for a while.

Bastige.

But learned not to ride with collar open any more.  
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2016, 08:31:45 AM »
Like.  Creative.

One single one damned near killed me on my motorcycle.  Was tooling along about 40MPH on a hot summer day.  Shirt collar open.  One (something) went down my shirt and stung me two-three times.  

Almost lost complete control and nearly went into a bridge column.  Finally pulled over and got it out of my shirt.  Don't know what it was, didn't care.  Had wings.  Corpse was pretty crumpled up from swatting at it.  

Looked like I had a couple extra nipples for a while.

Bastige.

But learned not to ride with collar open any more.  

That's why I wear full gauntlet gloves.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?