Author Topic: Miami Activist Moves Homeless into Foreclosed Homes (illegally)  (Read 4570 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Miami Activist Moves Homeless into Foreclosed Homes (illegally)
« on: December 01, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »
This guy says he has lawyers who will represent the squatters in court for free if they're arrested. My question is what is the legal basis for court defense re: breaking and entering? I'm guessing it will be the "spread the wealth" defense.

-----------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081201/ap_on_re_us/foreclosure_squatting_2

Miami activist moves people into foreclosed houses
By TAMARA LUSH, Associated Press Writer Tamara Lush, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 24 mins ago

MIAMI – Max Rameau delivers his sales pitch like a pro. "All tile floor!" he says during a recent showing. "And the living room, wow! It has great blinds."

But in nearly every other respect, he is unlike any real estate agent you've ever met. He is unshaven, drives a beat-up car and wears grungy cut-off sweat pants. He also breaks into the homes he shows. And his clients don't have a dime for a down payment.

Rameau is an activist who has been executing a bailout plan of his own around Miami's empty streets: He is helping homeless people illegally move into foreclosed homes.

"We're matching homeless people with people-less homes," he said with a grin.

Rameau and a group of like-minded advocates formed Take Back the Land, which also helps the new "tenants" with secondhand furniture, cleaning supplies and yard upkeep. So far, he has moved six families into foreclosed homes and has nine on a waiting list.

"I think everyone deserves a home," said Rameau, who said he takes no money from his work with the homeless. "Homeless people across the country are squatting in empty homes. The question is: Is this going to be done out of desperation or with direction?"

With the housing market collapsing, squatting in foreclosed homes is believed to be on the rise around the country. But squatters usually move in on their own, at night, when no one is watching. Rarely is the phenomenon as organized as Rameau's effort to "liberate" foreclosed homes.

Florida — especially the Miami area, with its once-booming condo market — is one of the hardest-hit states in the housing crisis, largely because of overbuilding and speculation. In September, Florida had the nation's second-highest foreclosure rate, with one out of every 178 homes in default, according to Realty Trac, an online marketer of foreclosed properties. Only Nevada's rate was higher.

Like other cities, Miami is trying to ease the problem. Officials launched a foreclosure-prevention program to help homeowners who have fallen behind on their mortgage, with loans of up to $7,500 per household.

The city also recently passed an ordinance requiring owners of abandoned homes — whether an individual or bank — to register those properties with the city so police can better monitor them.

Elsewhere around the country, advocates in Cleveland are working with the city to allow homeless people to legally move into and repair empty, dilapidated houses. In Atlanta, some property owners pay homeless people to live in abandoned homes as a security measure.

In early November, Rameau drove a woman and her 18-month old daughter to a ranch home on a quiet street lined with swaying tropical foliage. Marie Nadine Pierre, 39, has been sleeping at a shelter with her toddler. She said she had been homeless off and on for a year, after losing various jobs and getting evicted from several apartments.

"My heart is heavy. I've lived in a lot of different shelters, a lot of bad situations," Pierre said. "In my own home, I'm free. I'm a human being now."

Rameau chose the house for Pierre, in part, because he knew its history. A man had bought the home in the city's predominantly Haitian neighborhood in 2006 for $430,000, then rented it to Rameau's friends. Those friends were evicted in October because the homeowner had stopped paying his mortgage and the property went into foreclosure.

Rameau, who makes his living as a computer consultant, said he is doing the owner a favor. Before Pierre moved in, someone stole the air conditioning unit from the backyard, and it was only a matter of time before thieves took the copper pipes and wiring, he said.

"Within a couple of months, this place would be stripped and drug dealers would be living here," he said, carrying a giant plastic garbage bag filled with Pierre's clothes into the home.

He said he is not scared of getting arrested.

"There's a real need here, and there's a disconnect between the need and the law," he said. "Being arrested is just one of the potential factors in doing this."

Miami spokeswoman Kelly Penton said city officials did not know Rameau was moving homeless into empty buildings — but they are also not stopping him.

"There are no actions on the city's part to stop this," she said in an e-mail. "It is important to note that if people trespass into private property, it is up to the property owner to take action to remove those individuals."

Pierre herself could be charged with trespassing, vandalism or breaking and entering. Rameau assured her he has lawyers who will represent her free.

Two weeks after Pierre moved in, she came home to find the locks had been changed, probably by the property's manager. Everything inside — her food, clothes and family photos — was gone.

But late last month, with Rameau's help, she got back inside and has put Christmas decorations on the front door.

So far, police have not gotten involved.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:28:51 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Miami Activist Moves Homeless into Forclosed Homes (illegally)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »
So much for law and order. Who pays the utilities, or are they squatting there in squalor with no power or water?

Why do people need to respect the law if there's no penalty?

This is definitely one of those "We're heading over the cliff" signs, if someone can break into homes like this and not be charged.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
Sounds like breaking and entering (a felony in many states if the damage amount is high enough).

This Rameau's a common crook who's figure out how to capitalize on the current "social sensibilities".  

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Miami Activist Moves Homeless into Foreclosed Homes (illegally)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »
Rameau is an activist who has been executing a bailout plan of his own around Miami's empty streets: He is helping homeless people illegally move into foreclosed homes.

Wrong. He's a burglar.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 05:42:08 PM »
So much for law and order. Who pays the utilities, or are they squatting there in squalor with no power or water?

Why do people need to respect the law if there's no penalty?

This is definitely one of those "We're heading over the cliff" signs, if someone can break into homes like this and not be charged.
Exactly. Sometimes when I read stuff like this I sort of lament the fact that I have a functioning moral compass. Those of us who have that are at a severe disadvantage, especially in times like these. Why bother with the damned law? Why not start selling cracks to all the losers? Why not squat in foreclosed houses? The law obviously doesn't apply anymore.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »
Wrong. He's a burglar.
You obviously aren't skilled in NewSpeak. If leftists run rampant through a city, throwing cobblestones and beating people up, they are "activists". If a bunch of nationalists simply wants to put flowers at the feet of a statue in a peaceful manner, they are evil rightwing neo-nazis, and obviously deserve to get a two pound cobblestone to the head.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 06:18:14 PM »
O
M
G

Y'know, it might be a good idea for the po-leece to get involved in this before some new homeowner, having bought his new house at auction or similar sale, shows up to move in and finds squatters . . . and decides to employ a little "castle doctrine" on them.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
"There's a real need here, and there's a disconnect between the need and the law," he said.

Ah yes, the eternal claim of the moocher and the looter.  The idea that need supersedes the rights of those that built and paid for the houses, and now own them the due process of law.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 06:38:32 PM »
"It is important to note that if people trespass into private property, it is up to the property owner to take action to remove those individuals."
Kelly, darlin' you just stepped on your dork, Big-Time.

Here in Prince William County in near-northern Virginia, we had a huge problem with this as late as last year. In our case, there were McMansions on 5 acres that sold for near $1M being abandoned and immediately re-occupied by amorphous groups of Hispanics. Illegals became a political issue and they started disappearing after County Mounties started turning over paper-less ones to ICE. The houses often were trashed by the very people occupying them for free. So help me, it resembled nothing more than rats scurrying around after dark.

I'm one who generally admires the hard-working people from south of the border, but I don't condone breaking our laws as your first act in our country. Come here legally if you can, do your hard and excellent (generally) work, send whatever $$ you are able back home, and leave when your time is up.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »
Sounds like breaking and entering (a felony in many states if the damage amount is high enough).

This Rameau's a common crook who's figure out how to capitalize on the current "social sensibilities".  

Brad

Sorry to burst your bubble there Brad, Rameau is a "Community Organizer" =D :rolleyes: :lol: :angel:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 07:06:30 PM »
Ok, I'm going to throw a curve ball into my normally "kill em all" "right wing fringe" approach to internet threads.

The SCOTUS has already discovered an imaginary right to privacy ( some case where sodomy was involved & abortion )
I have been thinking that there is also a "right" to a home, (hear me out before your head explodes please)

There wasn't a homeless problem during the 18th & 19th century (I believe) because there was a frontier, you could go west and build a cabin, farm and call it yours.
sometimes I wish I could just go into a deep forest and do the same, only I'm sure I would be breaking a law.

I was a squatter in my youth only it was city owned property.
NYC had millions of vacant buildings that were just sitting empty, they became city property after being abandoned...oops gotta go
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »
sometimes I wish I could just go into a deep forest and do the same, only I'm sure I would be breaking a law.

Yes, there is a 14 day limit on national forests, and they do prosecute people for it.  :police:

So you might as well cultivate some marijuana while you are at it  :laugh:

I guess we shouldn't worry much about ever getting foreclosed now ... we can just move "back" in and squat for free  =D  Seriously, I can't imagine our local sheriff running armed people off "their" property  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 12:01:43 AM »
ok back now, anyway NYC in the 80's (today too probably) had millions of abandoned buildings, fire hazzards and places called shooting galleries, ( junkies injected in semi privacy ) useless husk that no one owned and we squatters moved in and fixed them up.
Some of my old friends became owners and are now sitting pretty (except they're in NYC ) with nice Manhattan addresses in what used to be very dangerous areas.

I bet if it were 1876 and you had no place to live you could simply go west and build yourself a cabin, even though it was never enumerated in the Constitution it was considered a "right".

To bad we can not do that now, or can we? Does anyone know?

Don't care

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 08:46:01 AM »
I know it gets cold during the winter, even in Miami. There aren't enough places in any city to provide a bed to every homeless person.

The cops are probably glad that the homeless are indoors and out of sight.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:53 AM »
I know it gets cold during the winter, even in Miami. There aren't enough places in any city to provide a bed to every homeless person.

The cops are probably glad that the homeless are indoors and out of sight.

Sure, especially when they get called to go into dark, labyrinthine houses with possible meth addicts in them. ;/

As was said here, rats scurrying in the dark. I've seen places in Miami like that when I was there.