Author Topic: Transgender via Peer Pressure  (Read 1607 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Transgender via Peer Pressure
« on: August 30, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »
This shouldn't be surprising in today's not only social media, but media in general. I mentioned recently that it felt like Netflix, et al were shoving "gay" down my throat like a San Francisco gay pride parade. Only overtly showing gay relationships in some shows while making all other cast practically asexual. Then we have Disney looking at putting gay relationships into their kids shows. Which leads to two links:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/30/brown-u-pulls-gender-dysphoria-study-worried-that-findings-might-invalidate-perspectives-transgender-community.html

Brown University recognizes the "peer pressure" aspect, so they suppress it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/28/boy-9-commits-suicide-after-coming-out-gay-bullied-by-classmates-mom.html

Nine year old kills himself after "coming out" as gay. How does a nine year old prepubescent kid decide he's "gay" without some kind of external influence? They are blaming bullies for his suicide, and I'm sure that was a part of it. But I also believe it was social influence that made him think "coming out" might be a reasonable thing to do, because "gay" is popular, even if he really didn't know what that meant.

Social forcing of this stuff, especially to kids in the single digit years, is going to only get worse. The way they are doing it, they are (Marvel already has) creating things like gay superheroes that focus on gay, so kids no longer think, "I want to be a hero", they think, "I want to be gay" because that's the part of "gay superhero" that's pushed. It might not be the case if they did it as "a superhero that happens to be gay", but they don't. They want to push it as "a gay person who's a superhero", but first and foremost, they're gay - "it's really cool to be gay, kids".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Transgender via Peer Pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »
This shouldn't be surprising in today's not only social media, but media in general. I mentioned recently that it felt like Netflix, et al were shoving "gay" down my throat like a San Francisco gay pride parade. Only overtly showing gay relationships in some shows while making all other cast practically asexual. Then we have Disney looking at putting gay relationships into their kids shows. Which leads to two links:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/30/brown-u-pulls-gender-dysphoria-study-worried-that-findings-might-invalidate-perspectives-transgender-community.html

Brown University recognizes the "peer pressure" aspect, so they suppress it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/28/boy-9-commits-suicide-after-coming-out-gay-bullied-by-classmates-mom.html

Nine year old kills himself after "coming out" as gay. How does a nine year old prepubescent kid decide he's "gay" without some kind of external influence? They are blaming bullies for his suicide, and I'm sure that was a part of it. But I also believe it was social influence that made him think "coming out" might be a reasonable thing to do, because "gay" is popular, even if he really didn't know what that meant.

Social forcing of this stuff, especially to kids in the single digit years, is going to only get worse. The way they are doing it, they are (Marvel already has) creating things like gay superheroes that focus on gay, so kids no longer think, "I want to be a hero", they think, "I want to be gay" because that's the part of "gay superhero" that's pushed. It might not be the case if they did it as "a superhero that happens to be gay", but they don't. They want to push it as "a gay person who's a superhero", but first and foremost, they're gay - "it's really cool to be gay, kids".

We have acquaintances whose son "came out" as a girl. They were so excited and supportive of him. I believe they got him involved in girl scouts.

Well, it was probably Brownies. He was 5 at the time.

They cut off contact with a number of people after a friend suggested to them that this might not be best for a 5 year old. (No, it wasn't me as I didn't have meaningful contact with them when and after this occurred.)

I'm sure that their excitement about it had NOTHING to do with his choices. (Again, he was 5. FIVE.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »
Yup, well passed time for a plague.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »
From the story on the 9 year old who committed suicide:
On Thursday, just four days after he started fourth grade at Joe Shoemaker Elementary School, Myles was dead.

The Denver Police Department told The Washington Post that officers responded to a “medical incident” at the boy's home. The 9-year-old was transported to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. It was not immediately clear how he died, but the medical examiner ruled his death as a suicide.
I would really like to know how this kid committed suicide.  Did he find some pills to take or something? 

"Four days is all it took at school. I could just imagine what they said to him," Pierce told the station. "My son told my oldest daughter the kids at school told him to kill himself. I’m just sad he didn’t come to me. I’m so upset that he thought that was his option."
Do any of you think the Mom should have been more aware of something happening over 4 days?  Seems to me the kid would be pretty upset if he was driven to commit suicide.  This whole thing makes me wonder what sort of family life this kid had.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »
On the other, it makes me think kids should be banned from social media until 18 or so. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 10:37:32 AM »
Yup, well passed time for a plague.
S.M.O.D. just to be sure.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »
On the other, it makes me think kids should be banned from social media until 18 or so. 

This.  If it was up to me, my kids would have nothing but a flip that could only dial two numbers (me or their mother) from 13-18.  Texting, Facegram, Instabook and all that other nonsense has no place in teenage lives.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »

From the article:

She said her son told her daughter that his classmates told him to take his own life.

So the mother told him it was okay that he thought he was gay, but never did anything to explain to him that other kids might not think that was cool. And what kind of upbringing did you give him, Mom, if he would actually take his own life because classmates told him to do it?

"We should have accountability for bullying. I think the child should. Because the child knows it’s wrong. The child wouldn’t want someone to do it to them. I think the parent should be held because obviously the parents are either teaching them to be like that, or they’re treating them like that," she said.

I was in third grade at nine years old. It was a small school and my class was basically homogeneous, so there weren't any cases of racial or ethnic or gender discrimination, but there was teasing. What was considered "teasing" back then would almost certainly be considered "bullying" today, but everyone managed to live through it. I honestly don't think the kids who did the most "teasing" in any way knew it was wrong, and I am not prepared to accept the notion that kids today at age nine know that "bullying" is wrong. At that age, the basic understanding of what's right and what's wrong is still being formulated.

And, of course, the mother thinks the parents of the [alleged] bullies should be held [accountable], because the mother herself certainly had no responsibility to prepare her kid for the after effects of coming out as gay.

Typical attempt to shift blame anywhere except where it belongs. "I'm certainly not responsible for what my child did. It must have been ____."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »
My wife now has to go to a multi-hour training every year on bullying in the schools and what to do about it as a teacher.  They have written policies, procedures and notification requirements. I suspect this is in part due to successful lawsuits against schools who failed to act upon bullying and are therefore deep pockets for the lawsuits.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »
This.  If it was up to me, my kids would have nothing but a flip that could only dial two numbers (me or their mother) from 13-18.  Texting, Facegram, Instabook and all that other nonsense has no place in teenage lives.

This in spades.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »
Relevant story that just popped up on my newsfeed, re: teens and social media.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/aug/29/teens-desert-social-media
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 01:01:47 PM »

My wife teaches fourth grade in a 'poor' school and she estimates at least half the students have a cell phone at that grade level.  It was a higher percentage in the 'affluent' schools in which she taught.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.