Author Topic: sgt bales  (Read 1009 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
sgt bales
« on: August 23, 2013, 02:40:24 PM »
and he just got life w/o parole
  feel bad for his family
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: sgt bales
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »
They ever figure out why he went all slaughtery?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
PTSD and a traumatic brain injury suffered on a previous tour may have had something to do with it.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:30:21 PM »
yea  and there was some incident earlier or within a day or 2

it chaffs that i see his family as suffering

and it doesn't feel right
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »
Wasn't there also reports of booze and drugs early on?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »
Wasn't there also reports of booze and drugs early on?

not sure irc  but i thought there were roids in play

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 04:40:48 PM »
His general court martial went on about 60 miles south of me, and the crime and trial has gotten extensive media coverage in the Seattle/Tacoma area.  His defense attorney, one of the finest criminal defense counsel in the state, was able to negotiate the death penalty off the table.  They did not present a medical defense for his actions.  Various issues of steroids, TBI, PTSD, liquor and anti-malaria drugs were run up the flagpole earlier and did not get anywhere much.  The prosecution pointed out that similar issues came up in several thousand US troops, and none of them went off post twice, making two trips in the dead of night, and slaughtered 16 civilians, dragged their bodies into a heap and set their bodies on fire.  

I honestly don't know if there was a medical reason, but he apparently was able to function just fine in life up until that point.  He had a previous civil judgement against him for fraud, he was having marital problems and he was pissed that he was passed over for promotion.  The sole issue at sentencing was if he would be eligible for parole after serving 20 years or not.  The jury decided against it, so he will serve the full sentence.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:34:44 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 07:13:15 PM »
makes one wonder-  maybe this is an  unintended consequence of restrictive ROE- every once in a while someone goes bonkers. if you have to hold back all the time and watch obvious bad guys get away without engaging, it would be natural for a suppressed rage to build up.
 Sort of like road rage- I have seen folks go all foamy at the mouth when it was quite obvious they were just using the minor incident as a place to focus rage from some other unrelated event. 
 Who knows, I ain't no shrink. =(

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »
makes one wonder-  maybe this is an  unintended consequence of restrictive ROE- every once in a while someone goes bonkers. if you have to hold back all the time and watch obvious bad guys get away without engaging, it would be natural for a suppressed rage to build up.
 Sort of like road rage- I have seen folks go all foamy at the mouth when it was quite obvious they were just using the minor incident as a place to focus rage from some other unrelated event. 
 Who knows, I ain't no shrink. =(

So he goes off and kills women and children?  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »
I look at it this way

Either he's evil

Or he's mentally defective enough to kill women and children in a psychotic break

Either way, he needs to die
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 12:36:30 AM »
In no way am I apologizing for him- but it would be interesting to know why-he certainly had nothing to gain, and no possible way to avoid discovery-

"The People of the Lie", written by M Scott Peck-   in that book  he delves into this a little- he was one of the Army shrinks assigned to find out why the My Lai massacre happened.

I also wonder how much of this sort of thing went on during WW2- and was never reported , being a "total" war.  Is it less wrong to put an entire city to death via firebomb, than to shoot 20 civilians?

War is not a moral enterprise. Maybe that is our mistake, to think it is even remotely possible to make it so.
 Just to make a wild guess, I would postulate that Sgt. Bales came , for one reason or another, to a place where he simply did not care anymore, about anything at all.  Perhaps that is what evil is. What was the satanic saying? "Do what thou will, shall be the whole of the law?"