Author Topic: "I Am Legend" thread...  (Read 8378 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
"I Am Legend" thread...
« on: December 22, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »
Well I figured someone would start a post about this movie.. might as well be me.

SWMBO and I watched it last night.  For the record I'm not a fan of the fresh prince, since most of his character's lines are chock full of stupid pop culture references,
that seem inserted simply to appeal to each individual demographic.

However I have to say this was a pretty good flick, most of the build up was just watching his character go through his daily routine.
I think he conveyed this pretty well.  The story line was described by one news interview prior to the event.. and then a combination of him talking to his
dog and a few flashbacks.

It inspired me to pick up a copy of the 1971 Charlton Heston version (The Omega Man) and the 1964 Vincent Price version (The Last Man on Earth)

Did anyone else see it yet and what are your thoughts?
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: "I Am Legend" thread...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »
I haven't seen it yet, but I hear it doesn't end like the book, so it's not going to be as good as I hoped.  The whole "trick" to the book was the ending.

Chris

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »
Never read the book but the movie was very good.  I enjoyed it and will add it to my collection when it comes out on DVD.

Pretty big thread going on THR about this movie as well. 

Only downside was the typical Hollywood bafoonery in gun play.  Shooting alot of rounds without reloading.  Especially the AR-15.  Shot well over 30 rounds and never replaced the magazine.  Stuff like that.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 02:15:35 PM »
I liked this quite a bit. Smith is a better actor than any former-rapper/Bad Boys star has a right to be, the action was tense, and I think it even earned the (different from the book) ending. And god bless any blockbuster that clocks in under two hours.

Two issues - the CGI (animal and human) looked direct-to-video awful. And having one big plot point turn on someone knowing Damian Marley (dancehall reggae artist without even a gold album to his name) but having no clue who Bob was... ooookay.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 02:17:55 PM »
Especially the AR-15.  Shot well over 30 rounds and never replaced the magazine. 

I'm not sure about that. I know there was at least one mag change in the last/only extended shooting sequence - and in other times there were cutaways when he may well have reloaded. I thought the gun handling was quite strong in this one - he repeatedly chamber-checks before venturing out, one Glock quick draw, etc.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 02:26:07 PM »
I thought they did a pretty god job. I found it very entertaining and the scene where Sam runs into the dark building was probably the most suspenseful I have seen in a while. I do agree that the CGI could have been better.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Sounds like a similar thread posted here earlier, where I also made reference to "Night of the Comet", and "The Quiet Earth".  Deja Vu, anybody?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »
The Wife and I walked out and both said.. "I am not sure"

A week later.. I am not sure if I liked it...  The ending was a bit of a let down.  I will have to read the book and see if I like the books ending more.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 06:11:11 PM »
Especially the AR-15.  Shot well over 30 rounds and never replaced the magazine.

I didn't count rounds shot, but I'd disagree.  Remember him running out at least once.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 08:03:18 PM »
You people still go to the cinema?  It's called DVD, folks.  Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 02:37:06 AM »
They lost me when they killed off Sam the German shepherd.  To add insult to injury, Sam had her a** handed to her by zombie dogs.  If Hollywood had any honor, they would have allowed the shepherd at least one kill... but no, so d*mn them all to the inferno of hell.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 06:46:49 AM »
They lost me when they killed off Sam the German shepherd.
Yeah I could have sworn he was going to pick up Old Yeller when he returned to the video store.

Quote from: fistful
You people still go to the cinema?  It's called DVD, folks.

*looks around*   psst  Shhh, we enjoyed a glass of wine and snuggled with the furry kids on the couch, while enjoying this one.
Beyond that I have to plead the fifth.
I'll certainly add the dvd to the collection when it's released.  Which could be next summer if the box office sales keep up.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 07:35:37 AM »
DVDs are okay, but if I get the chance I'll always take an afternoon matinee over seeing something at home.

bunni

• imfdb.org
    • Internet Movie Firearms Database
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 07:46:38 AM »
Am I the only one who would've been walking around with a 12ga, shoulder, and ankle holsters? And not an M4?

My girlfriend was of the opinion the cheesy ending was one of many filmed and chosen based on audience testing. She enjoyed the book and didn't feel the movie was dark enough.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »

Well, as always, I noticed the small stuff.  He was in uniform with a beard.  Multiple clicks when he ran out of ammo.  Didn't see metal shutters on the kid's room windows.  And HOW the heck didn't he see that as a trap?

But all and all, I enjoyed the movie except for the ending.  I have to agree that it feels like multiple endings were filmed, and it was audience tested for a generic finish.

To make the post appropriately gun related, I think he stuck with the M4 because he was a soldier.  Personally, I would have carried SAW.  Barring that, a 12 guage.  And flares.  And for the love of all that's holy, grenades.  Lots of grenades.  Vampire zombies do tend to dislike grenades.  There are NG armories on Lexington Ave, Park Ave and Fifth.  NYPD ESU has tons of military grade toys, including APC's.  Sigh.  Such a target rich environment, and he's entertaining himself with dolls and DVD's.  Blah.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 03:24:22 PM »
I hadn't heard a thing about this movie 'til y'all started discussing it...

I just looked at some of the trailers, looks like it would be pretty good. I like the post-apocalypse genre quite a bit.

Maybe I'll try to catch it tomorrow while I am Christmas shopping for my kiddo.
 grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »
I was trying to figure out the power situation. Takes a lot of juice to run the underground lab (presumably built for him before the meltdown), the kitchen, all the appliances, etc. - off of gas generators? Where were the fumes going?

I noticed the multiple clicks on the AR - but you have to make concessions for the vast majority of people who think that all guns are like revolvers and make clicking sounds when they're empty.

Snark

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 05:47:54 AM »
The book and the movie were quite different (huge surprise, i know). The ending to the book is what made the story so great. But taken by itself, the flick was pretty enjoyable. Some pretty memorable moments; I particularly enjoyed the second scene with "Fred".

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 11:18:38 AM »
I'm with you on the grenades.  I would have been up to my elbows in frags and flashbangs.

No shotgun for me.  Maybe inside my house.  Hilljacks always grab the shotgun, but not much good outside.  My brother had an emergency in his house in the sticks.  Bad guys dropped into ravine and shot back at him.  His banjo neighbor shot back with a 870 while Matt had his M14.  He yelled at Cledus to go get a rifle.  Cledus yells back "this is just as good." rolleyes  Great, Cledus, if only meth infused bikers were as dumb as quail. grin

Nothing belt fed?  No 240G?

All those guns he could loot in NYC and no .30 caliber rifle available?  Hunting Northern deer with a .223?

Oh, well, it's Hollywood.  No one there shoots or knows a damn thing about guns.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 07:41:18 PM »
I'm with you on the grenades.  I would have been up to my elbows in frags and flashbangs.

No shotgun for me.  Maybe inside my house.  Hilljacks always grab the shotgun, but not much good outside.  My brother had an emergency in his house in the sticks.  Bad guys dropped into ravine and shot back at him.  His banjo neighbor shot back with a 870 while Matt had his M14.  He yelled at Cledus to go get a rifle.  Cledus yells back "this is just as good." ;/  Great, Cledus, if only meth infused bikers were as dumb as quail. =D

Nothing belt fed?  No 240G?

All those guns he could loot in NYC and no .30 caliber rifle available?  Hunting Northern deer with a .223?

Oh, well, it's Hollywood.  No one there shoots or knows a damn thing about guns.

Hmmmm, for once LT and I see eye to eye; on so many points. 

My first reaction to seeing the trailers was, oh good grief! Not another zombie movie!  Ive never understood the genre and cant help but be amused by the endless debates over what caliber for ____.  I just might have to see this movie after all.

Da Bianhua
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 04:30:11 AM »
Wir stoppen nei dreizehn einjahresjungen zu sein! grin

So, just relax, it's just a movie.  Warning:  make certain the girl you take will tolerate a little gore.  Mine spent some time with her nose wedged into my shoulder making a shield for her eyes with the Raisinets box. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

bunni

• imfdb.org
    • Internet Movie Firearms Database
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 08:41:44 AM »
I'm working on the imfdb page for I Am Legend - I can grab the screenshots if someone can help out with some of the IDs and any guns they remember.

Strings

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 10:21:23 AM »
>Mine spent some time with her nose wedged into my shoulder making a shield for her eyes with the Raisinets box.<

You say that like it's a BAD thing, El T... Wink

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2007, 02:32:03 PM »
I'm going to go see this film tomorrow (boxing day release her). As for all the talk of what weapon to have in his situation, well, I would want as much as I can comfortable lug around with me, assuming I want to be able t move freely. If I was holing up for the night, I would want something big, nasty, and belt fed.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2007, 04:21:44 PM »
Re: the beard

They had another soldier run his hand over his face and say ""I just can't get used to the new regs.
D. R. ZINN