Poll

How far away do you live from your parents?

Less than 25 miles
Less than 75 miles
Less than 150 miles
Less than 500 miles
500 to 1,000 miles
More than 1,000 miles
My parents are deceased

Author Topic: Distance you live from your parents  (Read 8387 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Distance you live from your parents
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 01:03:15 PM »
"but my wife and the rest of our families would kill me if I moved us to Alabama."

But you guys would fit in so well in Alabammy! Michelle and the miggits are barefoot most of the time and Michelle and Abby have that lovely souther drawl...

You'd have to work on yours, though...  :laugh:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kwelz

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 01:50:29 PM »
I live about 3.5 miles from my parents.  They own about 25 acres and my father is in his late 60s.  It is hard for them to take care of the property without my help.  So when my Ex and I got a house we got one close by. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »
You'd have to work on yours, though...  :laugh:

Oddly enough, I spent much of my life further south than Shell.

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »
Sorry about the gap folks.

Point is, how many of us are actually close enough to help our parents or even know what their situation is?  We have become a fragmented society, where in the past, people pretty much stuck close to home.  I separated from my family by choice as have a few of you I see.  If the need arose I would take my Mother in, but at this point she chooses to live in that big old house alone and even refused the County Nursing Assoc. visits I set up for here.  Her statement was, "I'll just stay here and die in my own home since you kids don't care enough to come visit!"  Which of course is not true, but she wants to believe it is.

Because they didn't have much choice. Travel was expensive etc. That argument holds no water to me. If your Mom (or the old vet from the thread) wants help it's a phone call away.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »
Biological father lives about 1500 miles away in a place I would rather he not live. Laredo Texas is too dangerous and even moreso since he spends a lot of time in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. Step father is in Florida and since Mom passed last August he is talking abput moving closer to family. Neither of my them have family living close to them. Wifes parents are 250 miles from us. They have family all around them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »
I try to get up to Mom's at least several times a year and do what I can to help out.

So far my greatest accomplishments have been cleaning out the basement a couple of years ago when Dad was still alive, and then last year making the interior storm windows, which have really cut down on the drafts in that place.

I also ran a new electrical line into Mom's office for the air conditioner this summer. That was a real chore, but of everything I've done I think that was the most rewarding.

I've also done a lot of smaller jobs. This spring I want to make a couple of raise planting beds by the shed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »
I'm in DFW, my folks are in Scottsdale, executing a long, extended move to ABQ.

When I was looking to leave California, I really wanted to end back up in AZ, but the real estate markit was really messed up, so I chose DFW instead.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »
Can one establish/measure the distance to Heaven or Hell? I'm pretty sure one of them is in Hell the other is a toss up.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Teknoid

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »
160 miles from my mom, 175 from my father-in-law. One of the reasons we left Illinois (besides the obvious), was to be close enough to help. Just in time, too. My dad had a long illness, and then passed away. I was close enough to be there when needed. Still travel at least once every other week to do yard work, etc.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 07:26:47 PM »
3000 miles.   =(  It is tough, as my dad is having some serious health issues.  Fortunately, my brother is within easy driving distance.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »
About five miles nearly due South at the moment to my parents' house. My in-laws were about the same distance Northeast until last year. FIL passed away last Spring and MIL moved up the the Kentucky hills, where her oldest lives, just before Winter.

The farthest I've ever lived from my parents, excluding my time in the Army, was about three hundred fifty miles when I lived in Ft. Walton Beach FL and they were, as they have been and will be, here on the Southside of Atlanta.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »
About 100 miles of winding roads, AKA close by but far enough away to keep my mom from showing up un-announced.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

psyopspec

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
It's only about 15 feet from the basement to their floor of the house...

JK, I'm about 50 miles now, but moving closer to 675 as the crow flies in a couple weeks.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »
How many of us live close enough to our parents to actually help them in their end years or an emergency?

Ping!  All of us kids are within 30 miles.  Mom died last year, Dad is 78 and alone on the farm (but with grandkids 5 miles away that visit frequently). 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Beagle

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »
You should put this poll up at THR. You'll need a "I'm posting from my bedroom in my mom's house" option, though.  =D

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »
I live 200 miles from my parents and about 140 miles from my inlaws. In Iowa we don't use miles so my parents are 3 hours away and my inlaws are 2 1/2 hours away.

From 1998-2006 my folks moved around alot with my Dad's company, shortest distance for almost 8 years was 500 miles.

Some of us in Minnesota don't use miles either. My Mom lives around three and a half hours away, and my girlfriend's family is a little less than two. That's about 200 and 100 miles respectively.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
need a basement option for the wookies
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 10:00:48 PM »
back in the old days we classified trips as a 6 pack  or a six pack and a half  sometime a 12 pack and a nap
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:58 PM »
Got a message from my brother saying that my grand niece who ripped my Mother off two years ago may finally go to jail for probation violation from the charges two years ago, and the Asst. DA knew nothing about the most recent rip offs the grand niece did recently, which my brother filed charges on.

So much for justice working with any speed or fairness.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 03:32:54 AM »
Can one establish/measure the distance to Heaven or Hell? I'm pretty sure one of them is in Hell the other is a toss up.

One of the groomsman at my wedding has two deceased grandmothers. He refers to them as "good grandma" and "burning grandma."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 04:58:31 AM »
I'm at about 6 miles.  With a baby on the way, it's nice to know that cheap child care and a place for the kid to play in the country is close by.

We have 10 acres adjoining her 120 where we hope to build someday.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 08:39:15 AM »
My parents still live in Alaska, and I live in Florida.  And that wasn't an accident.  Our relationship is much better now.  Of course my parents are still pretty nimble.  I wouldn't mind moving back to AK, but I'd want at least 20 or so miles between us.  No popping in unannounced.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2009, 08:48:39 AM »
Almost the opposite of dogmush.  My parents and brother are living in florida, I'm living in North Dakota.  Of course, I'm in the USAF, so I live where they tell me to.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2009, 09:05:14 AM »
It's 3 miles from the doorstep of my house to the doorstep of their house.  This wasn't planned specifically, it's just that when my wife and I were looking for a house this was where we found a pretty good deal.

Fortunately I get along fine with my parents.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »
My wifes mother lives next door to us, adjoining lots.  She is 86 years old and in good health.  It is working out great.  If her mother needs anything, just walk next door.   Saves gas.

For 13 years her mother lived in Florida, 1500 miles away, and I was was always afraid that her mother would get sick or something and my wife would be going back ther to take care of her, since she was the only one that would be willing to.