Author Topic: Who's your auto insurance company?  (Read 8368 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Who's your auto insurance company?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 01:30:30 PM »
I've been with Allstate for over 15 years now without any problems.  I've used them for homeowners, auto and life.   
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
I'm a bit mollified, but I'm still paying more with Erie than I would be with another company.

Now I have to decide if I really want to change companies and start out new.

Use it as leverage. "I'm paying you X, but I can get Y. I want to stay, but you'll need to match Y."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »
Texas Farm Bureau.

$1100/yr for both vehicles - full coverage plus a $100k work liability rider on the Vic, liability only on the beast.  15% companion discount, no claims history discount, and good credit discount.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »
Farmers.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 03:49:23 PM »
Texas Farm Bureau.

$1100/yr for both vehicles - full coverage plus a $100k work liability rider on the Vic, liability only on the beast.  15% companion discount, no claims history discount, and good credit discount.

Brad

I second Farm Bureau.

The inlaws have it for their ranch and they pay almost $800 less than State Farm was offering.

We have it and pay $1250/yr for both cars, the house and 2 riders, one covering jewelry and PCs and one covering the firearms.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »
I have GEICO, so far no claims but the experience has been pleasant overall.

Before that I was with Allstate for several years. 

When I bought my Jeep I decided to go with full coverage as it's a good car in good shape unlike the old one.  The old one had state minimum.  Allstate wanted 30 dollars more per month then GEICO for half the coverage.  I told Allstate what GEICO had offered me and they wouldn't come down a single penny.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 05:59:14 PM »
All car insurance companies are pretty good until you file a claim.

In my state, we have no fault insurance. Your insurance fixes your car. His insurance fixes his. The two companies go to binding arbitration to determine fault so you can get a percentage of your deductable back.

Both AIG and State Farm have done really bad jobs of fighting for us. In one case, I was sitting in my car legally parked (I was parked in front of my house ready to drive to work) when an idiot lost control of his car on an icy road and hit me head on. I even video taped the accident scene. I was found to be 30% at fault. But the arbitration is binding, and there was nothing I could do. Thanks, State Farm. We totaled out a car when we were hit when someone made an illegal left turn. Not only did they lose the arbitration for us (they "forgot" to mention that the other party made an illegal left turn and they said that they really don't get into the rules of the road), but we had to fight to get a fair value for the car.  The same thing happend when we were rear ended. This time we got nothing back because the guy that hit us claimed that the damage was already there (it wasn't). AIG settled for NOTHING for me. Thanks, AIG. When we pressed them, they told us that there was nothing that could be done. I'm going to contact the Attorney General here, but I know nothing will happen. 

I've found that after you file a few claims even when it's not your fault, it's difficult to find cheaper insurance.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »
I've used Farmers for more years than I can remember, in three different states.  They have always had the most reasonable rates, and their service was good for the only two claims I've made over the years.
I had Allstate for a couple of years when I lived in Phoenix.  Never again.  Lousy service and very high rates.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 10:09:17 PM »
My family has used Farmers for a long time now, and we've never had a problem with them, even after the third time my sister wrecked her car (to be fair, one of those wrecks wasn't her fault...  ;/).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 11:49:13 PM »
I had Farmers for several years. I finally dropped them after a long run of incredible incompetence. To be fair, this was likely mostly due to actions by the agent and his staff, rather than Farmers itself. I did change to another agent, but then dropped them after finding I was  paying several hundred more than I would at Progressive.

Every time it was time to renew the insurance, Farmers would send me a bill for $X, then a couple days later a bill for $Y, then a bill for $Z. I'd send payment for $Z, then after the due date they'd send me another bill for $A, and I'd have to send another payment or receive a check for the difference. This happened every, single, time, it was up for renewal.

Making any changes to my policy resulted in the above x 4.

The final straw was when my brother (completely different account/policy/everything) canceled his insurance, instead of canceling his they cancelled mine, and our parents'.

Thus my move to Progressive Direct. Due to my insurance experience, I like not having a local agent buggering things up. :P

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 12:22:05 AM »
Was with Geico for twenty yeard and switched over to USAA last year.