Author Topic: So, it's after 6pm EDT on May 21, 2011 and I'm still here?  (Read 8363 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
What the heck?

Apparently Mr. Camping was wrong. I'm shocked. :O

Of course, I'm sure that "The faithful prayed it away" again.

Not that Mr. Camping is a false prophet in this for... profit. Of course not.  [tinfoil]
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: So, it's after 6pm EDT on May 21, 2011 and I'm still here?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
Yeah, but is Fistful still here ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
What if he was right, and the fact we're still here just proves that we're BAD people?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Didn't Matthew have some very pointed things to say about false prophets? "And ye shall know them by their fruits?"

There is another one, Isaiah I think (it's been a long time) that basically said "If a prophet's prophesy does not come to pass, then he is a false prophet and ye shall not follow (him)."

Well, darn, there's a fly in the ointment for Mr. Camping. :lol:
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »
Who knew?

A prediction based on a book written 2000ish years ago by our ancestral tribesmen who accepted the things they didn't understand about the world as an act of some unseen all knowing deity have in fact turned out the be false!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:03:12 PM »
So the Apocalypse didn't come on schedule?  You didn't get Raptured?  Get over it, people, it's not the end of the world.

(Can you burn for a bad pun?)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:03:52 PM »
Who knew?

A prediction based on a book written 2000ish years ago by our ancestral tribesmen who accepted the things they didn't understand about the world as an act of some unseen all knowing deity have in fact turned out the be false!

Oh, pooh.

The calculation was just off by a bit. Just need to tune up the algorithm and try again ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
Oh, pooh.

The calculation was just off by a bit. Just need to tune up the algorithm and try again ...

Haha, I imagine he'll say that just like he did in '94.

:lol:

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 07:05:14 PM »
...and '88, no? Or was that the OTHER, other, other, OTHER, other whackjob? :lol:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Nick1911

• Administrator
!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »
...and '88, no? Or was that the OTHER, other, other, OTHER, other whackjob? :lol:

Not sure, it's a chore keeping track of whackjobs these days with as many as there are.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 07:14:59 PM »
And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.
Deuteronomy 18:21-22

Found it.
Now I have to wonder...how many are still going to enable Mr. Camping's life$$$$tyle?
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 07:26:23 PM »
There is another one, Isaiah I think (it's been a long time) that basically said "If a prophet's prophesy does not come to pass, then he is a false prophet and ye shall not follow (him)."

Deuteronomy somewhere.  There's another case presented in the same passage.  If the prophet wannabe says things that come true, and leads you away from the LORD, it's God testing you.  He still a false prophet.  "You need not be afraid of him."

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »
Now I have to wonder...how many are still going to enable Mr. Camping's life$$$$tyle?

Probably plenty. I said it on another forum, that there are a lot of people who are so gullible they'll believe and completely trust anyone who drops the J-word in front of them.

I don't know about you, but I can't find the part in the Bible that says that you should give up common sense and blindly trust anybody who claims to be a Christian...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
Deuteronomy 18:20- "But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.”

Mr. Camping is very fortunate we live under the new Covenant and not the old.

Also, Nick, I'm quite certain of the prophecy based off a 2000+ year old book:

Mark 13:32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

I'm certain every single one of these doomsday prophecies will be wrong.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 08:28:27 PM »
Probably plenty. I said it on another forum, that there are a lot of people who are so gullible they'll believe and completely trust anyone who drops the J-word in front of them.

I don't know about you, but I can't find the part in the Bible that says that you should give up common sense and blindly trust anybody who claims to be a Christian...

This kind of stunt is how the Seventh Day Adventists were formed. So, this kind of thing can last a LOOOONG time. (They were created out of doomsday predictions in the 1800s.)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
Who knew?

'Cause science explains how a three-day-old corpse comes back to life, right?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 08:46:50 PM »
Deuteronomy 18:20- "But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.”

Mark 13:32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Hezekiah 27:12 "When a false prophet cometh amongst thee and wrongly predicteth the rapture, thou shalt whack his penis with a ballpeen hammer, yeah and then thou shalt hear truthfullness from his lips in his cries of pain..."
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »

Sweet!  So all I have to do to prevent rapture from happening is put up a billboard on I70 that warns, "rapture is tomorrow!"?

:laugh:

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »

Actually, it says quite the opposite.

And hidden whacky math aside, I seem to also recall it clearly stating no one knows when the time will be until it happens.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 10:02:11 PM »
Yesterday there was a plane buzzing around downtown Milwaukee pulling one of those trailing banners, and the banner was proclaiming "Judgement Day: May 21." That's the first time I even saw one of these end-times predictions being advertised by airplane.
Andy

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 10:13:17 PM »
Sweet!  So all I have to do to prevent rapture from happening is put up a billboard on I70 that warns, "rapture is tomorrow!"?

:laugh:

Do you think that if you hold up a sign at a craps table that says "Next roll will be 11" then you will prevent an 11 from ever happening?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 10:26:32 PM »
Do you think that if you hold up a sign at a craps table that says "Next roll will be 11" then you will prevent an 11 from ever happening?

I'm just horsing around.  Personally, I don't believe any particular mythology. (This will probably piss some people off, but I classify all religions as mythology.  It's a title, but in my mind a fitting one.  That's just me, YMMV.)

I'm just noting that if we accept Mark 13:32 as an axiom for some particular reason ( ???), I think the concept of staving off disaster by having some random person driving down the freeway thinking "Hey, maybe rapture is tomorrow... huh." to be hilarious.

But I have no dog in this fight.  My personal beliefs don't include rapture ever happening.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
I'm just noting that if we accept Mark 13:32 as an axiom for some particular reason ( ???), I think the concept of staving off disaster by having some random person driving down the freeway thinking "Hey, maybe rapture is tomorrow... huh." to be hilarious.

I see what you are saying now.  I don't take from that passage the same meaning as you take from it, which I think is why I didn't understand your humor.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
I see what you are saying now.  I don't take from that passage the same meaning as you take from it, which I think is why I didn't understand your humor.

Ah, kk.

If I might inquire, what do you make of the passage?  Just curious what your take is.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »
There's still 1.5 hours left here, you heathens  [tinfoil]
Or was the prediction based on GMT?
7-11 was a part time job.