Author Topic: So, it's after 6pm EDT on May 21, 2011 and I'm still here?  (Read 8364 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: So, it's after 6pm EDT on May 21, 2011 and I'm still here?
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 10:42:16 PM »
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think the prediction was for it to be 6pm in each timezone.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 10:44:44 PM »
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think the prediction was for it to be 6pm in each timezone.

Ah ha,
"Rolling Rapture"
7-11 was a part time job.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 10:47:25 PM »
Sweet!  So all I have to do to prevent rapture from happening is put up a billboard on I70 that warns, "rapture is tomorrow!"?

:laugh:

One of these days, when everyone's attention is distracted...

While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 10:50:57 PM »

And a massive earthquake in the Pacific to start it off.

Guess I missed all the news about that too.

It might have been starting at 6PM EDT and then rolling through time zones, but I didn't care enough to research more than seeing 6pm EDT.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
Obviously, he didn't consult the Mayans.

His predictions don't bother me.  Orwell's predictions are what bug me.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:01:56 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 10:56:52 PM »
I'm just horsing around.  Personally, I don't believe any particular mythology. (This will probably piss some people off, but I classify all religions as mythology.  It's a title, but in my mind a fitting one.  That's just me, YMMV.)

I'm just noting that if we accept Mark 13:32 as an axiom for some particular reason ( ???), I think the concept of staving off disaster by having some random person driving down the freeway thinking "Hey, maybe rapture is tomorrow... huh." to be hilarious.

But I have no dog in this fight.  My personal beliefs don't include rapture ever happening.
Some random guy making a guess is hardly the same thing.

Either way, I would hardly count it as a disaster myself.  The way I was taught, you would then have 7 more years or so to figure out what you were going to do.

It doesn't matter much to me.  I don't know when it is and I have no control over it so it isn't worth worrying about one way or the other. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:01:39 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »
Ah, kk.

If I might inquire, what do you make of the passage?  Just curious what your take is.

Simply that no one can predict when the rapture might happen.  Like you can't predict a dice roll.  I don't think the passage means to say that when it happens, no one on earth would have wondered if it was going to happen that day.  Simply that if anyone claims to know the time of the rapture, you shouldn't believe them.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
 :facepalm:

D'oh!  This means the Mayans were right after all . . . . . . . . .  [popcorn] [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 11:45:13 PM »
I think the concept of staving off disaster by having some random person driving down the freeway thinking "Hey, maybe rapture is tomorrow... huh." to be hilarious.

Actually, it's not disaster. It's the part of the movie where the good guy wins. (The good guy being Christ.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 11:57:43 PM »
Ah ha,
"Rolling Rapture"

Is that the name for the rerun of the Rolling Thunder Revue?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 12:28:14 AM »
I went out this morning and test fired my newly built AR-15 in 7.62x39 just in case I was left behind and had to shoot some zombies.  ;)

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »
Ah ha,
"Rolling Rapture"
I found that concept interesting as well. G-D reckons time by the limitations of the cycles of a single planet in a single solar system when there is the whole universe to reckon time by? That's awfully shallow, from a "G-D" perspective.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 12:34:27 AM »
Is that the name for the rerun of the Rolling Thunder Revue?
You gotta serve somebody.
7-11 was a part time job.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 12:41:40 AM »
Matthew 24:36 Jesus Speaking;
36 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only."

King James Version: "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only."

Matthew 7:15-20
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruits you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruits you will recognize them."
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 06:07:56 AM »
I found that concept interesting as well. G-D reckons time by the limitations of the cycles of a single planet in a single solar system when there is the whole universe to reckon time by? That's awfully shallow, from a "G-D" perspective.

Solar cycles are a vestigal time measurement.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »
Matthew 24:36 (The Message version) "But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even heaven's angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows. "

I pretty much go with the premise that, if a person predicts that the Rapture or TEOTWAWKI on a certain date, then I'm sure that it WON'T be that date.....

BTW, if you consider the Rapture or TEOTWAWKI as a bad thing, you might want to look hard at a few things....just sayin'.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 08:39:45 AM »
Ah ha,
"Rolling Rapture"

or the "rapture wave"

News reports this morning are nobody knows where he is at.  I guess he has no coment. And then some of the idiots that were following him are talking about sueing.

Please put me on that jury.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 09:17:48 AM »
Solar cycles are a vestigal time measurement.
and she didn't get him anything. =D
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »
News reports this morning are nobody knows where he is at.

See? He was right! I guess we'd better join up with this guy:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »
Brad, you didn't tell us you were in that Left Behind movie.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »
I'm genuinely curious about something:

seeker_two quoted:

"Matthew 24:36 (The Message version) 'But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even heaven's angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows. '"

If only the Father knows, does that compromise the concept of the co-equality of the Trinity?

Or am I misunderstanding the concept of the Trinity?

Not trying to start a fight here, just wondering about it.

Honest curiosity.

Really.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:08:05 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »

You can't fool me. You're trying to start somethin! I just know it!

I guess it depends on whether you think the Son not knowing something makes Him unequal. I could see why you think so.

Another angle to consider is that Christ said that while on earth, in an earthly body. That is, He had chosen to limit Himself, or to lay aside certain prerogatives enjoyed by a spiritual, divine being. Perhaps when He said that He didn't know, He meant that He had left that knowledge behind in the heavenly realms.

Or, if He could choose to limit Himself while on earth, He can also limit Himself for all of human history. Perhaps, for some reason we may not be able to discern, He chooses not to know the date and time of His return until the Father says it's go time.

Or, if you want to jump a bit further down the rabbit-hole, consider this. The Son is an eternal, uncreated being who chooses to enter the limitations of a temporal existence. Perhaps this temporal limitation is still with Him, as a resurrected man, and will not be lifted until the end of time (the Second Coming, the Last Judgment, whatever).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2011, 05:05:05 PM »
"Matthew 24:36 (The Message version) 'But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even heaven's angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows. '"

If only the Father knows, does that compromise the concept of the co-equality of the Trinity?

Or am I misunderstanding the concept of the Trinity?

Your bible is broken.

It doesn't make any sense.

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »
Another angle to consider is that Christ said that while on earth, in an earthly body. That is, He had chosen to limit Himself, or to lay aside certain prerogatives enjoyed by a spiritual, divine being. Perhaps when He said that He didn't know, He meant that He had left that knowledge behind in the heavenly realms.

Actually, OK, that kind of explains it, once you pointed it out. After all, he remained mortal and hence vulnerable, and hence at least a little "ungodlike," during the Passion.

Really, really, I wasn't trying to start something.

TNX

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:39:55 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2011, 06:09:46 PM »
Really, really, I wasn't trying to start something.

"I am not the stuff-disturber you're looking for."