Author Topic: That was exhilarating  (Read 8392 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
That was exhilarating
« on: December 29, 2011, 01:55:12 PM »
At the childrens museum of Richmond and "misplaced" my 4 year old for about 5 mins. She was right where she was supposed to be the whole time. I just couldn't see her. She was within 20 feet till I started frantically searching. That was an educational moment

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.562484,-77.467212
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: That was exhilarating
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »
I ever have children, they'll be lojacked...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 02:06:55 PM »
Damn fine idea. How fast cam lojack process a find it right now request?   Much over 70 seconds is too long . My heart might not hold up

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.562547,-77.467238
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »
Find my iPod connected to a backpack mounted claxon FTW
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »
Low Tech Solution:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:26:33 PM »
Only time I lost my kid was at home, I was in the garden, kid in the sandbox, 3 yeas old. I look up, no kid. My GSD, great historical protector of the family, was right next to me, looking for attention.  ;/ ;/ ;/  I freaked out a little, searched for 5 minutes, I have great line of sight, so covered a lot of ground. I finally found the kid, she had let herself back inside and was sitting in the good chair watching Dora, sand and all.  :facepalm:

I public I get evil stares because I'll let the kid get about 15 yards away without hovering over her. I don't have the heart to tell the old biddies that closely watched and within pistol shot is my personal standard.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »
I ever have children, they'll be lojacked...

Word

And have a beeper like the cordless phone.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
Word

And have a beeper like the cordless phone.

What, no automatic pilot, return-to-base mechanism, that takes over their motor functions?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
Before cell phones got fancy, they got really really small and light.  Snag a 5-6 year old phone, the kind that just had the one-line lcd screen and that you could accessorize with replaceable covers, body panels and keypads and you can strip it right down to the battery and electronics.  Very small package that is fully functional as a phone.  Before you remove the keypad, program it to silent mode and also if you want auditory spying ability set it to auto-answer.  For $20 on ebay and $10/mo to activate you can have something not much larger than a domino that can be tracked by a cell company / police, and runs for 4-5 days on a battery charge.  Bonus: you can call it to listen in.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
What, no automatic pilot, return-to-base mechanism, that takes over their motor functions?

Still working on it, but the tech isn't 100% functional yet.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »
Umm, folks?  They sell these http://www.specialtyalarms.com/site/1313932/page/470306

1.        Child Guard Monitor - Electronic Child Leash
Have you ever experienced the terror of thinking your child is missing or lost? We have all had the gut-wrenching feeling of turning around in a busy street and finding that our child is nowhere in sight. Now this could be prevented with the new improved Child Guard.
Item No. 30-210  Sale: $19.99 - regularly $26.99

just for this sort of situation.  Kid moves more than x feet away and everyone will be mopping up ear wax for the next few days, but you will surely know where your kid is.

Or a less-obvious style http://www.lightinthebox.com/Anti-theft---Anti-loss-Wireless-Security-Luggage-Alarm--TRA-237-_p97663.html

I am surprised and disappointed that none of the rest of you knew about this sort of gizmo.  My disappointment was slightly tempered by the suggestion of a leash.  The lack of mention of det cord, duct tape and/or lasers was appalling.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
I public I get evil stares because I'll let the kid get about 15 yards away without hovering over her. I don't have the heart to tell the old biddies that closely watched and within pistol shot is my personal standard.

I do.

I was babysitting at a playground (no kids of my own) and had a little grandma berate me because the kid was 30 ft away "and if someone grabbed her you couldn't possibly get there in time!"  I smiled my best predatory smile and said "The bullet can."

Then she waited (about 20 ft away) till my friend came back (almost 45 min) and ran up to her stammering "Did you know that man has a g-g-gun around your child!"

My friend looked confused and said "Yeah, that's why he can babysit." Grandma's face was priceless.

Maybe its because I don't have kids, but I don't understand how someone would take responsibility for a little one in public and NOT have a weapon.  Just seems reckless to me.

ETA: Oh and CSD, from your stories....Were you worried about the girl, or the museum? =D

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
My disappointment was slightly tempered by the suggestion of a leash.  The lack of mention of det cord, duct tape and/or lasers was appalling.

I'm not going to argue with their results in an academic sense, but on a personal level, I won't be adopting Spetsnaz-style kidnapper negotiation techniques when it comes to my own children.  M-AD via detcord child leash isn't that great of an idea.  Now if I was running a daycare that would be another thing.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »
Low Tech Solution:

I like that idea....but I'm not sure the wife would go for having our child attached to YoSafBridg.......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »
I was babysitting at a playground (no kids of my own) and had a little grandma berate me because the kid was 30 ft away "and if someone grabbed her you couldn't possibly get there in time!"  I smiled my best predatory smile and said "The bullet can."

This I don't quite understand. Sure, you could hit the bad guy from that far away, but your kid would also be downrange.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
DD. I was worries about the kid first then my liability if someone got hurt. It was a real heart stopper for a couple mins. I went predator for a short while. Took a while to mellow out. It would behoove me to watch myself when in that mode lest I do something felonious .

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
From personal experience I prefer the kid-on-a-leash method.  It is easier on the kid, more secure for me, and it gives busybodies a case of the vapors.   "how cruel, putting a child on a leash.  It is a child not a dog." 

OK lady (typically),  hold your arm over your head until I get tired and let you drop it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 10:01:53 PM »
Low Tech Solution:

That's the way we did it with ours and still do with the grands.
Get some funny looks and a few rude comments but a simple "go *expletive deleted*ck yourself" to the rude comments usually shuts them up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »
train kid to say f off

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »
That's the way we did it with ours and still do with the grands.
Get some funny looks and a few rude comments but a simple "go *expletive deleted* yourself" to the rude comments usually shuts them up.

Seriously? I thought this was a joke picture.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
Seriously? I thought this was a joke picture.

No, works surprisingly well.  Except the little critters find entertainment in wrapping the leash around objects or legs.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »
The kid leash is a great thing when they are too young to understand they need to stay close.  It is better than a stroller, at least the kid is getting exercise.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 12:08:17 PM »
The gr'ups tried that leash crap with me back in '67 or '68.  
Wanting no part of their bizarre bondage fantasies, I sat on the floor of the grocery store and refused to budge.  
They tried dragging and I began screaming.
It was one of my few battlefield victories.

Shortly thereafter a dog was purchased to fulfill their need for a leashed companion.
I was returned to my locked chambers until I was needed for yard work.
7-11 was a part time job.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 12:23:48 PM »
We use a leash that's connected to a fuzzy, plush puppy backpack. Brooke likes it because it has a puppy and she can run around.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »
We use a leash that's connected to a fuzzy, plush puppy backpack. Brooke likes it because it has a puppy and she can run around.

With our two sets of twins, we had tried those. They'd just run to the end of the leash and then clothesline themselves. Or they'd sit down and try to get us to drag them.

We just gave up on that and strapped them all into the quad stroller until they were all over 5 years old. 

It's still a problem at 6 and 7, they still run around wild, and the amount of yelling and smacking that actually gets them to listen for more than 5 minutes before doing it again tends to get you on the news, or talking to the cops these days.
I promise not to duck.