Author Topic: animal rights activist send in a drone, "someone" shoots it down  (Read 8370 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
animal rights activist send in a drone, "someone" shoots it down
« on: February 18, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
http://thetandd.com/animal-rights-group-says-drone-shot-down/article_017a720a-56ce-11e1-afc4-001871e3ce6c.html

Some group I never heard of planned to disrupt some kind of hunting event I never heard of.
 So, they buy a drone and fly it over a bunch of hunters prepared for bird hunting :facepalm: :facepalm: >:D >:D >:D

That's like leaving a pound of good weed at a Grateful Dead concert-what else did they think was gonna happen?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: animal rights activist send in a drone, "someone" shoots it down
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »
This is the same group that was sending in guys in ultralight aircraft to harass goose hunters in that video that made the rounds of the gun forums several years ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frv4iKaisFc

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 05:36:07 PM »
isn't that illegal
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

gunsmith

• friend
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »
the guys harassing the goose humters
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »
This is the same group that was sending in guys in ultralight aircraft to harass goose hunters in that video that made the rounds of the gun forums several years ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frv4iKaisFc

what a bunch of annoying D bags! after seeing that it makes the drone shooting even more rewarding

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »
the guys harassing the goose humters

probably, not legal to fly ultralites over private property but ianal

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:52:21 PM »
i think illinois has anti harassment law

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 06:04:50 PM »
i think illinois has anti harassment law

Most states do.

The hunters who shot down the UAV probably saved the envirowackos money in the long run; if they'd been busted for harassment, they'd have both lost the UAV and gotten a fairly large fine and maybe some jail time.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:15:08 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 01:37:38 AM »
This could be interesting.  Anyone up for a trip in 2013? >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:16:08 AM »
This could be interesting.  Anyone up for a trip in 2013? >:D

I would.  Maybe Avenger29 could put us up, so we could buy more ammo.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »

The guy is a few fries short of a happy meal. That said, the comments... Ugh...

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
South Carolina, 'nuff said.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
The hunters unknown anonymous people who allegedly shot down the UAV probably saved the envirowackos money in the long run; if they'd been busted for harassment, they'd have both lost the UAV and gotten a fairly large fine and maybe some jail time.
FIFY.  ;)

You know, it's not out of the question that these wackos shot down their own drone; some years back, one of these fringe groups had a "Stop hunting - shoot a sign" campaign in which they advocated shooting up road signs, assuming hunters would be blamed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
These guys are the Phelp's - Westboro chapter of anti hunting advocates, so annoying that vegan hippies crying over fallen tree's hate them.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
These guys are the Phelp's - Westboro chapter of anti hunting advocates, so annoying that vegan hippies crying over fallen tree's hate them.

You had to mention vegan hippies, didn't you?

I stopped at a Subway for a sammich yesterday while shopping for doggie treats and ammunition. There was a ponytail-wearing, bearded "gentleman" ahead of me, ordering three subs. He demanded that the ONE "sandwich artist" on duty not work on all three subs at once but make the veggie sub first, because his girlfriend would be upset if the gloves making her vegetarian sub touched the meat or cheese being used in the other two. I've known some strict vegans in my day, but THAT's over the top.

And to top it off (not intended as a pun), the dressing/sauce on the veggie sub was mayonnaise. I don't know where Subway gets their mayonnaise but, last I knew, mayonnaise was made from eggs, and vegans don't do eggs. However, I wanted my sammich so I kept my lips zipped.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »
we had a screaming wailing zomg vegan at a place i worked,  who would snag prime rib off b/f's plate

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »
The Subway guy snuck some bacon onto the sandwich, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »
FIFY.  ;)

You know, it's not out of the question that these wackos shot down their own drone; some years back, one of these fringe groups had a "Stop hunting - shoot a sign" campaign in which they advocated shooting up road signs, assuming hunters would be blamed.

True, but...

If the envirowackos are responsible, I doubt they actually shot it down; not too many wingshooter types in those groups.  Probably just pumped it full of lead while it was on the ground.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 07:39:37 PM »

I stopped at a Subway for a sammich yesterday while shopping for doggie treats and ammunition. There was a ponytail-wearing, bearded "gentleman" ahead of me, ordering three subs. He demanded that the ONE "sandwich artist" on duty not work on all three subs at once but make the veggie sub first, because his girlfriend would be upset if the gloves making her vegetarian sub touched the meat or cheese being used in the other two. I've known some strict vegans in my day, but THAT's over the top.

And to top it off (not intended as a pun), the dressing/sauce on the veggie sub was mayonnaise. I don't know where Subway gets their mayonnaise but, last I knew, mayonnaise was made from eggs, and vegans don't do eggs. However, I wanted my sammich so I kept my lips zipped.

I've known some Hindu's from work that required similar. It is a little different to me when it comes from a religious/ceremonial reason. There are some parts of Mosiac law that requires the same when dealing with leaven and some kinds of meats.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:55 PM »
I'd really like to know the legal standing of drones over private property.  Above 1k ft AGL, fine, free transit and all.  But at say, 5 ft AGL?  If it fails and lands on my dirt, can I file trespassing?  Can I destroy it if it's on my property?  What if the owner wants onto my property to retrieve it, or wants me to return it? Assuming I'm not violating FCC regs, can I jam the drone? Just the camera feed? Control feed?

There's gonna be a lot of court cases to decide it.  

Edit: Great, now I am designing anti-drone munitions for my RV85.  Rubber rounds should do just fine on the rotors, but still be people safe.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freakazoid

• friend
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:37:20 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »
There were some changes in the regs recently and they still haven't hammered out all the details, but a UAV/RC may not fly over private property without permission and they used to be limited to 500 ft AGL, more than that would get you in trouble with the FAA. Crash it and the pilot is liable for any damages, and you may not retrieve it without permission. There have been court cases where the RC aircraft was returned, but there was also a lawsuit big enough to shut down the airfield permanently when the only damage was a divot in the grass. Destroying an aircraft crashed on your property is a grey area, shooting it down is illegal. Jamming systems would be legal, but most modern radios have a failsafe and will keep flying until they receive the correct signal. Frequency hopping 2.4 GHz is pretty common.

ETA: I was wrong. Apparently the Gooberment owns the air, and you can fly anywhere as long as it's under 500 ft and not restricted airspace.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:34:36 AM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »

Yeah, but her sub still touched gloves that touched meat.  In this case, long pork.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »

Is it wrong that my first thought amounted to "bolo-shot to the shroud lines"?