Author Topic: Germany Increases Retirement Age, France Decreases Retirement Age  (Read 3462 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Interesting short blurb from Victor David Hanson's site.

While I wouldn't expect Germany to "errupt" to see Jackboots marching through Europe, at some point I think even its most liberal citizenry will get fed up at propping up other EU countries and slowly losing its standard of living to pay for it. If Germany tells the EU to get bent, I would expect a worldwide economic ripple effect.

Most of my relatives are still in Germany, and in talking with them it's clear that there is still a "grin while you're being stepped on" mentality there because of WW2 and wanting to make amends, not dissimilar from the "white guilt" culture in the US because of slavery 150 years ago.  At some point enough time passes that people say "we're done paying for the guilt of some of our ancestors" and they will choose not to be taken advantage of because of a now historical event. Again, it doesn't have to be gearing up a war machine. Simply choosing to look after itself rather than surrounding countries would be enough to monkeywrench the EU economy.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/302323/insult-injury-victor-davis-hanson#
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Germany Increases Retirement Age, France Decreases Retirement Age
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »
What does "Certain workers" mean? Is that like 0.01% of the work force?

Other than this... holy mother of Torvalds, I agree with VDH.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 01:07:45 PM »
What does "Certain workers" mean?
Just guessing, but perhaps government employees?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »
Ant and the Grashopper is playing out in the EU as we speak, except the Grashopper already has a serious sub-lease in the ant's house already.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
Most of my relatives are still in Germany, and in talking with them it's clear that there is still a "grin while you're being stepped on" mentality there because of WW2 and wanting to make amends, not dissimilar from the "white guilt" culture in the US because of slavery 150 years ago.  At some point enough time passes that people say "we're done paying for the guilt of some of our ancestors" and they will choose not to be taken advantage of because of a now historical event.

Pretty much. It is lunacy to be held accountable for something you could not impact because you were not alive. I can understand being held accountable for doing nothing. But if it was before I was born? Uh, no. I had no hand in it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
Pretty much. It is lunacy to be held accountable for something you could not impact because you were not alive. I can understand being held accountable for doing nothing. But if it was before I was born? Uh, no. I had no hand in it.
Here's to seeing your arguments applied credibly to the slave reparations movement in this country.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
I fully expect the retirement age to be raised in the US to 67 during the next presidential term.  I believe it HAS TO HAPPEN in the USA.  We are much more like Germany than France in our fundamental beliefs as a country.

The Japanese are also starting to feel the same way about their history.  What is the next step for China?  Dump communism? 
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
I fully expect the retirement age to be raised in the US to 67 during the next presidential term.  I believe it HAS TO HAPPEN in the USA.  We are much more like Germany than France in our fundamental beliefs as a country.

The Japanese are also starting to feel the same way about their history.  What is the next step for China?  Dump communism? 

My retirement age is already 67 if I want to collect the full Social Security benefit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »
My retirement age is already 67 if I want to collect the full Social Security benefit.

And mine.

Of course, it will be 70 by the time I get there.

And 72 by the time I get there.

Think of it as Zeno's Retirement Scheme.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Buzzcook

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 06:02:26 PM »
If you have high unemployment it makes sense to lower the retirement age. Reduce the labor force and increase the cost of labor.

We're already seeing an increase in SSI disability from workers who would have stayed in the work force, but can't find a job. Might as well make that more general. Reduce the retirement age to 63.

We could pay for it by removing the cap on contributions and treating all compensation as wages.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »
If you have high unemployment it makes sense to lower the retirement age. Reduce the labor force and increase the cost of labor.

We're already seeing an increase in SSI disability from workers who would have stayed in the work force, but can't find a job. Might as well make that more general. Reduce the retirement age to 63.

We could pay for it by removing the cap on contributions and treating all compensation as wages.

We must tax and spend ourselves into prosperity eh?

Maybe we should really get serious about unemployment and lower the retirement age to 53!

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »
We must tax and spend ourselves into prosperity eh?

Maybe we should really get serious about unemployment and lower the retirement age to 53!

53?  Do I hear 51?  . . .

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
Make it 50 and I'll go next month =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 08:48:38 AM »

Classic fallacy.

The economy is not a zero-sum game. There are not a set number of jobs out there that, once filled, leave absolutely none for anyone else.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
Make it 50 and I'll go next month =D
Greece is already there, and nobody pays their taxes, either!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

agricola

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 04:56:27 PM »

Not really, that would only be made to work if you brought in a statutory retirement age and enforced it - which might be an idea for some of the EU states, where youth / young person unemployment rates are between 33% and 50% - though of course whatever government brought it in would probably be kicked out by the grey vote come the next election.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/03/the-51-tragedy-a-majority-of-young-greek-workers-are-now-unemployed/254181/

None of this will change anything though; the problems with the Eurozone (and for that matter the EU) are almost certainly terminal and it will need a complete and total rethink of what European integration is meant to achieve before things start to get better. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »
What have we learned from the EU experiment? That nations are real things. That national boundaries are not just arbitrary lines of division that frustrate the brotherhood of man, and provide excuses for war. The nation-state is a concept that developed along with the modern age, as Rome's cosmopolitan world order fell apart. And in a Europe that still wants the pluralism of a post-Reformation world, it still makes sense for people with a shared culture and language to stake out their territory and make decisions about the political, social and economic rules they're willing to live by.

The coal and steel cooperative may have been a good idea back in the day. Maybe it still is. But good fences still make good neighbors.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife