Author Topic: Obama has greatest fiscal restraint of any President Ever- Facebook  (Read 5255 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Article from Forbes that is making the liberal facebook rounds. 
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/05/24/who-is-the-smallest-government-spender-since-eisenhower-would-you-believe-its-barack-obama/2/

They even link a rebuttal from Heritage to mock, I think confident that their base readers never do followup.
http://blog.heritage.org/2012/05/24/setting-obamas-great-fiscal-restraint-record-straight/

I just post that it would be nice to use the same metrics for both democrats and republicans.  That will happen any day right?   :rofl:  :'(
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Obama has greatest fiscal restraint of any President Ever- Facebook
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:54:37 AM »
I always love articles like this:

If we just ignore the MASSIVE SPENDING from his first year, he's only spent a little bit more than that massive increase from his first year in the succeeding years! He's a model of fiscal restraint!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Just goes to show that you can massage the numbers to prove anything.

Obama, the fiscal restrainer....HA!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:12:44 PM »
Obama has greatest fiscal restraint of any President Ever.

:rofl:

That's all.  Nothing more to see; move along....................
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:31:03 PM »
Oh.. forget all the fantasy about shoring up the 2nd Amendment... If I had a time-machine, I'd go visit the founders, use my Android phone to prove I was from the future, (while the battery lasted) and then I'd convince them to insert something about prohibiting any sort of "baseline budgeting" from any aspect of .gov.

I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:46:51 PM »
Oh.. forget all the fantasy about shoring up the 2nd Amendment... If I had a time-machine, I'd go visit the founders, use my Android phone to prove I was from the future, (while the battery lasted) and then I'd convince them to insert something about prohibiting any sort of "baseline budgeting" from any aspect of .gov.

FDR would have destroyed it in the thirties, anyway.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
I'm surprised this ever made it to Forbes magazine after the outcry from conservatives over the methodology: put nearly all of Obama's first-year spending into GW's last year.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:11 AM »
Have these people.... read their own article before they hit Send?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Buzzcook

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »
Heck I see the limited spending as an indictment of Obama. We need more stimulus not less. The deficit isn't as important as jobs.

With the price of borrowing for the federal government being close to 0% it makes sense invest in infrastructure, funding shortfalls in state government, and increasing the social safety net.

Austerity hasn't done anything for Europe and it hasn't done anything for the US.

If we want to get out of this depression we should emulate Reagan and increased spending and taxes.

BTW I didn't think the Heritage article did much to refute the claims made by this.
http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-05-22/commentary/31802270_1_spending-federal-budget-drunken-sailor

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »
Buzzcook, are you being facetious?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
Europe's austerity is a fake.

It hasn't done much for Europe because it hasn't existed.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
Heck I see the limited spending as an indictment of Obama. We need more stimulus not less. The deficit isn't as important as jobs.

With the price of borrowing for the federal government being close to 0% it makes sense invest in infrastructure, funding shortfalls in state government, and increasing the social safety net.

Austerity hasn't done anything for Europe and it hasn't done anything for the US.

If we want to get out of this depression we should emulate Reagan and increased spending and taxes.

BTW I didn't think the Heritage article did much to refute the claims made by this.
http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-05-22/commentary/31802270_1_spending-federal-budget-drunken-sailor

Reagan cut taxes. He also decreased the rate of growth of the government. 
No country has ever taxed & spent itself into prosperity.  
FDR tried to tax & spend our way out of the Great Depression and it didn't work for him and it won't work for us today.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:23:47 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 07:57:11 AM »

And Micro beat me to it.

Although that is not completely true. SOME of Europe actually implemented austerity measures. For example, Estonia, which had ACTUAL austerity, is now growing at 7.6%.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47691090

What is the US growth rate again? Oh, right, less than 2% (I'm betting on not even breaking 1.5% this year.)

Good thing we dodged that "austerity" bullet. 

ronnyreagan

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 09:00:48 PM »
If we just ignore the MASSIVE SPENDING from his first year, he's only spent a little bit more than that massive increase from his first year in the succeeding years! He's a model of fiscal restraint!

So what part of this don't you agree with?
not only was the 2009 budget the property of George W. Bush—and passed by the 2008 Congress—it was in effect four months before Barack Obama took the oath of office.

I'm surprised this ever made it to Forbes magazine after the outcry from conservatives over the methodology: put nearly all of Obama's first-year spending into GW's last year.
Why not? If you use that methodology consistently it makes a fair comparison of how much presidents increased spending. They correctly attributed the 2009 the stimulus bill to him because he was in office by that point. How would it make sense to claim he's responsible for increases that took place before he took office?
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:01 PM »
So what part of this don't you agree with?Why not? If you use that methodology consistently it makes a fair comparison of how much presidents increased spending. They correctly attributed the 2009 the stimulus bill to him because he was in office by that point. How would it make sense to claim he's responsible for increases that took place before he took office?

Yes. I have a problem with blaming all of 2009 on Bush. Who signed the 2009 budget?

(Here's a hint: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/03/11/Obama-signs-earmark-laden-budget-bill/UPI-75101236770890/)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »
Ronnyreagan, when Bush left office, the stimulus plan was just a thin outline. It wasn't until the latter half of the year when the plan had ballooned into the $800+ billion monster that Obama signed (after personally lobbying for it).

This isn't like any regular appropriations bill that was introduced during the tenure of one president, then signed by the next.

Obama's crew also puts the debt for the various business loans into GW's debt column, but conveniently uses the repayment of those loans a couple of years later to reduce his own deficits.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 11:43:17 PM »

That's really all the argument I need.

Obama is responsible for his spending. Let's stipulate that 2009 was an unfair year to judge since Obama oversaw only .75 of that year.

So let's compare his first full year (2010) to Bush's last full year (2008). That would be apples to apples, right?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:51:25 PM by makattak »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »
I have questions.

Why are we saying "since Eisenhower?" Has American history started with Eisenhower?

Why do they discuss only growth rates of Federal spending? According to their page, Obama spent only 1.4 more than Bush, who in turn spent spent more than Clinton, and so on - making him the largest spender since Eisenhower, not the smallest.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 05:52:37 AM »
I have questions.

Why are we saying "since Eisenhower?" Has American history started with Eisenhower?

Why do they discuss only growth rates of Federal spending? According to their page, Obama spent only 1.4 more than Bush, who in turn spent spent more than Clinton, and so on - making him the largest spender since Eisenhower, not the smallest.

Because they've been using funny math and "baseline budgeting" to pull the wool over the eyes of Americans bad at math for decades
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
I have questions.

Because if you frame it that way then it's harder for republicans to complain, as they increased spending too. They just (hopefully?) increased it less.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 11:55:06 PM »

Austerity is a boojum, a cryptid. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.