Author Topic: Raspberry Pi anyone?  (Read 2271 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Raspberry Pi anyone?
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9112841/Mini-Raspberry-Pi-computer-goes-on-sale-for-22.html

I missed the launch, but put my name on the list.  Dunno what I'll do with it, but it'll be fun to experiment with such a small form factor.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Raspberry Pi anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
Nope. Don't much care for raspberry.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »
Probably 1000X more "powerful" than the IBM 1620 on which I cut my teeth.

The pic in the link reminds me a little of my old SDK-85.

Assembly language only, hex keyboard.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:44:54 PM »

I used one of those, too. It's not Assembly language, though - Machine Language!!

Assembly was an order of magnitude more complex; MOV xx yy. That sort of thing.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:14:43 PM »
Really interesting concept.  Reminds me of an Arduino
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
Real programmers code right down on the metal.

Russ

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:32:15 PM »
cat > a.out
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »
I have a feeling this project is going to die for the same reason the Touchbook and Pandora did.

That is, geeks are really bad at business; they don't know how to market, sell or price a product. The result is a never-ending series of revisions, pushed-out release dates, pre-orders, and they never actually ship a worthy product. Usually this is because they under-price the product; charging what they think it's 'worth', or what they would like to pay for it, rather than what the market will bear, and thus they don't get enough early cash flow.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »
Maybe.  We'll see.  I was able to place an order today, it should ship April 3rd.  

It's powered via a micro-USB port.  I think I'll connect mine to my PC's USB and power it that way. :)

I think I even have an appropriate case at home.

Hmm, it runs off 5v, I bet I could rig up a tiny UPS inside the case along with it.  Maybe a LiPO battery...

Edit to add: Found my UPS, http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Instant-Charger-Lithium-universal/dp/B002FU6KF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330812174&sr=8-1

I bought one of these when Woot.com had them for $10.  I need to check the output ratings, but I'm quite sure it'll be more than enough to power the Pi (needs 5v@500ma if you're going to run other USB devices).  Plug the Duracell into the wall and the Pi into the Duracell and you have an instant UPS power supply. :D

Chris
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:06:28 PM by mtnbkr »

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »

we had built one like this using an 8086 processor.  we even burned the boards.  that was one of my favorite school projects!  (why didn't i persue a career in electronics?)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
we had built one like this using an 8086 processor.  we even burned the boards.  that was one of my favorite school projects!  (why didn't i persue a career in electronics?)

This is why.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.