Author Topic: New York Taxes  (Read 962 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
New York Taxes
« on: November 15, 2018, 05:41:34 PM »
I thought this was kinda hilarious. All the Bronx chick acolytes are going after Cuomo because of all the tax incentives he gave to Amazon to get them to put their new HQ in NY.  His response was basically, "If we didn't give them incentives to counteract our high taxes, they'd have gone to Texas.  :rofl:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/11/15/spit-take-warning-andrew-cuomo-accidentally-spills-the-beans-with-this-take-on-amazon-deal/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: New York Taxes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:50:53 PM »
Yea ... I get it.   But that Amazon deal STINKS of corporate welfare.   :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »
... and the other New York-based companies will be "Hey, where's our tax break??"

But is an amusing tacit admission that NY taxes are too high.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:55:11 PM »
I also heard earlier that Amazon demanded all sort of data from these cities (all that were in the bidding process) on investments and development plans.  It was apparently a treasure of marketing info they just handed over in hopes of landing the Amazon location. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 09:00:38 PM »
Yea ... I get it.   But that Amazon deal STINKS of corporate welfare.   :mad:

Oh, I agree with that, but just like that NY has to admit the only way they can get businesses is with workarounds to their high taxes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »
I wish the practice of having to give text credits to a business would go away. Somewhere I read that there has never been a tax credit given to a business to relocate to expand that ever paid for itself. Wish I could find that article.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
Couldn't the feds stop these incentives on the basis of equal protection? Why doesn't my hotdog stand business get a sweetheart "incentive"? Because I'm not important, don't have enough lobbyists, what? Isn't there an actual tax code? Do they change the law for these companies using due process, or do they just give them a get-out-of-taxes-free card? If so what is the legal basis for that card? It seems like taxpayers in the state, including businesses that didn't get a special treatment, have some kind of standing for a lawsuit. Plus, I think the feds could do a commerce-clause smackdown over this behavior... it's just a prisoner's dilemma where states have to do it because all the other states are doing it too. I would like to see high-tax states sleep in the bed they made for themselves, and low-tax states reap the rewards of being business-friendly, and most of all, not have to tax burden shifted to the small businesses that don't have political clout to get a special corruption discount.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 10:14:24 PM »
I would like to see high-tax states sleep in the bed they made for themselves, and low-tax states reap the rewards of being business-friendly, and most of all, not have to tax burden shifted to the small businesses that don't have political clout to get a special corruption discount.

Indeed. Especially because the high tax states always seem to be run by the left-leaning "we're here for the little guy" crowd. Yet they're always the ones that are in bed with the mega-corps. If they practiced what they preached, they'd be giving incentives to small business only. Though I'd prefer no incentives to anyone, other than an equal low tax playing field.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 10:25:56 PM »
Washington state loves to throw tax and other financial incentives to Boeing.  The smartest thing Boeing ever did was to open up the plant in South Carolina so as to be able to threaten to move production out of Washington.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 11:50:49 PM »
One, you know somebody screwed up if Tucker Carlson and Ocasio Cortez agree on something.

Second, enough about New York, I want to know what trashy deals got done for the northern Virginia one.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
What gets me is businesses will move to some place under the benefit of tax breaks knowing full well those tax breaks will end and they will be paying full pop for the rest of their business lives. Five or ten years worth of tax breaks surely can't offset a lifetime of some of the highest corporate taxes in the nation.

That is, unless they plan on taking advantage of the breaks and then high-tailing it to greener pastures the moment they end. That would be sweet, sweet karma indeed...  :rofl:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 11:35:46 AM »
What gets me is businesses will move to some place under the benefit of tax breaks knowing full well those tax breaks will end and they will be paying full pop for the rest of their business lives. Five or ten years worth of tax breaks surely can't offset a lifetime of some of the highest corporate taxes in the nation.

That is, unless they plan on taking advantage of the breaks and then high-tailing it to greener pastures the moment they end. That would be sweet, sweet karma indeed...  :rofl:

Brad

Or they get them extended by threatening to leave. See statements about Boeing and Washington.

I personally don't believe these deals are strictly constitutional under equal protection, but I think they usually submit them as a bill to the state legislature to make it all seem legit as it isn't an arbitrary change by the governor/mayor/whathaveyou, but an actual legal bill. I still think that is unconstitutional, but that's my understanding of how they sort  of get around it.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 11:09:14 PM »
Illinois did it with Boeing's HQ move to Chicago.  They've also down it when Caterpillar, State Farm, and ADM threatened to leave Illinois.

Usually it has to be passed as legislation (depending on the tax breaks whether property or income or other) at the appropriate level of the tax break.  Chicago is notorious for handing out TIF and other property tax breaks to companies here.  Cabela's learned the hard way about how the Cook County board will renege on promises.  (Which is why the entire second floor is closed off at the Hoffman Estates store.  Cook County imposes taxes based on the dimensions of the sales floor.  Which they told Cabela's they wouldn't do to them.  Nor charge an extra gun, nor ammo taxes.   Which they do now...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 10:43:12 AM »
Mike B said,

"I personally don't believe these deals are strictly constitutional under equal protection, but I think they usually submit them as a bill to the state legislature to make it all seem legit as it isn't an arbitrary change by the governor/mayor/whathaveyou, but an actual legal bill. I still think that is unconstitutional, but that's my understanding of how they sort  of get around it."

My understanding is that all laws passed by the legislatures are presumed to be constitutional and operational until challenges to their constitutionality are successful in court.

That's the way I heard it from a lawyer  on another board.

See, the theory is that when they take their oaths of office to defend and support the Constitution, they meant it.  Hahahaaaaa.  Thus, any law they pass is inherently constitutional until it is actually struck down on constitutional grounds by a court.  Hee-hee-hee-heeeee.

Meantime, of course, you are usually in the pokey for violating that law in the first place.

Terry

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:04:34 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.