Author Topic: DeWalt Cordless Drills?  (Read 645 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
DeWalt Cordless Drills?
« on: September 02, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »
I mentioned a little while ago that I'm finally migrating to DeWalt 20v Max. Already bought a grinder, but am now looking for the drill/driver hammer drill.

I have an 18v DeWalt drill/driver/hammer drill that has worked very well for my needs. I'm not opposed to separating out the hammer drill, but one thing I'm having a hard time with is the bajillion models that DeWalt has. Does anyone have a model(s) they recommend?

Dogmush posted a list of the US made tools a while back - https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/products-made-in-the-usa - which I would like to buy from, but again, there are several models. Anyone have one they particularly like or that I should avoid?

Edit: Oh, right now I'm looking at this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-1-2-in-20-Volt-Max-Variable-Speed-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill/1000449731
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: DeWalt Cordless Drills?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »
I've got two of them from that link, neither are the hammer drill option.

The first one is a little more heavy duty. I got the second one for when I'm drilling countersinks fro wood screws so i didn't need to keep changing bits.
The first one has had several years of fairly regular but not harsh/abusive use. the second one I've only had for about a year and haven't done much with it since the shoulders went to crap. Both have more than enough torque to jack up your wrists if they bind up on you.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/drills/drills-and-hammer-drills/20v-max-xr-liion-brushless-compact-drill--driver-kit/dcd791d2

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/drills/drills-and-hammer-drills/20v-max-lithium-ion-compact-drill--driver-kit-15-ah/dcd780c2
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
I've got two of them from that link, neither are the hammer drill option.

The first one is a little more heavy duty. I got the second one for when I'm drilling countersinks fro wood screws so i didn't need to keep changing bits.
The first one has had several years of fairly regular but not harsh/abusive use. the second one I've only had for about a year and haven't done much with it since the shoulders went to crap. Both have more than enough torque to jack up your wrists if they bind up on you.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/drills/drills-and-hammer-drills/20v-max-xr-liion-brushless-compact-drill--driver-kit/dcd791d2

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/drills/drills-and-hammer-drills/20v-max-lithium-ion-compact-drill--driver-kit-15-ah/dcd780c2

Thanks. I actually have two 18v drills - the hammer drill combo and a lighter drill/driver because I do similar to you - often needing to both drill and screw and I don't want to keep changing bits.

I can use one of my 18Vs as a second drill for now but will eventually want to get a second 20V.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 11:44:52 AM »
I don't remember if it was before or after that thread but I pulled the trigger on the Dewalt tools about a month ago.

Drill/Impact I bought this set: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-XR-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-with-1-Battery-2Ah-and-1-Battery-4Ah-DCK287D1M1/304051266

I also got a sawzall, but haven't really used it yet.

The drill and impact got to do about 700 feet of soffit, disassemble and reassemble a 10x14 garden shed for repair, carefully ream out holes in various [ahem] plastic things that need precise holes, and last night put together and install a truck bed storage system.  So they've had a pretty solid month.

So far I really like them.  Good long battery life, the impact has torque for days and a solid anvil, the drill clutch is good and limits torque well, they are light, the stupid belt clips actually work pretty well when climbing up and down ladders, and the batteries charge fast.  Pretty happy so far, although my sweaty hand did remove the "Made in the USA" sticker. 

YMMV, of course, but on the "two drills for screws" thing, try a 1/4" impact for driving screws and leave the drill for making holes.  Ever since I got a cordless impact, it is hands down my most used cordless tool.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 12:26:03 PM »
YMMV, of course, but on the "two drills for screws" thing, try a 1/4" impact for driving screws and leave the drill for making holes.  Ever since I got a cordless impact, it is hands down my most used cordless tool.
I agree^
I only use a hammer drill if I need a hole in concrete which is rare enough that my 1/2" plug in dewalt is sufficient. I use my 1/4" impact driver much more than I ever anticipated. My cordless drill is for drilling everything but concrete or tile or stone.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 12:46:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the impact - I've led a sheltered life and never used one for driving screws.  I definitely need the hammer drill, as I run anchors and Tapcons around here more than I have anywhere else.

That hammer drill impact set might be just the ticket, plus I found a Home Depot gift card laying around that I forgot about. I think I might make a run tomorrow morning and get that set.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 10:18:41 PM »
Went for the set that Dogmush linked to. I was waffling between it and a $399 set, the difference being a heavier duty hammer drill and the 60/20v flex batteries. In the end though, while I am using a hammer drill more often, I still use a drill 10X as much, so decided I didn't want the extra weight.

My 18v hammer drill is heavy duty, so I can keep using that for a while, and when I was looking at the cordless kits,  I shuffled over a couple of steps and saw that I could buy a big ass corded hammer drill for like $100. I'll probably go that route when the 18v batteries finally bite the dust, since 99% of my hammer drill work is near power.

Otherwise, this kit looks nice, and I've got a couple of small things I can use it on tomorrow. I am curious to try out the impact driver for construction screws.