Author Topic: Skyrunner ATV  (Read 3093 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Skyrunner ATV
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »
On sale now for $120K. Other than the price, I think it would be a hoot and awesome for backcountry exploration. Looks like the commercial one is a single seater. I'd prefer the prototype, which was a two-seater. If you're not carrying a second person,  you could carry out your deer meat.

http://www.flyskyrunner.com/#tiptop
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Skyrunner ATV
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »
very cool!  i'm betting half of that price must be for liability insurance!    so, is it entirely prop powered [no apparent driveshafts]?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »
So I did the math.

43mpg @ 55mph cruising on the ground.
25mpg @ 35mph cruising in the air.

In other words, travel by air is slower and less fuel efficient. So only use it when you absolutely have to.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »
So I did the math.

43mpg @ 55mph cruising on the ground.
25mpg @ 35mph cruising in the air.

In other words, travel by air is slower and less fuel efficient. So only use it when you absolutely have to.

Engine has to hold you in the air as well as go forward.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:36:44 PM »
very cool!  i'm betting half of that price must be for liability insurance!    so, is it entirely prop powered [no apparent driveshafts]?

OP's pic lacks a rear wheel driveshaft, but this one has one:

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »
Engine has to hold you in the air as well as go forward.

Yes, the most inefficient way possible, a parachute.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 02:04:55 AM »
did you folks see any video?  That thing is heavy!  Roughly 950lbs without humans? What do normal trike type parawings weigh?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 02:16:53 AM »
i' don't know about the parawings, but as i recall the airframe (less engine) on a piper cub type aircraft is under 400lbs.

it almost looks photoshopped with the drive shaft.  they do mention having a transmission however.

eta,  piper cub specs say 680lbs dry weight with a 65hp inline 4.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20performance/Piper/1/1.htm
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:16:48 AM by geronimotwo »

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »

it almost looks photoshopped with the drive shaft.  they do mention having a transmission however.

Also, in AZ's post, the drive shaft appears to be attached to a transmission (photoshopped or not) which does not appear to be in the image in the OP.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »

it almost looks photoshopped with the drive shaft.  they do mention having a transmission however.

That whole picture is some sort of digital rendering.  Nothing real about it at all.

Here's a pic of prototype #2:

Funny how the meat-world implementation for photo shoots doesn't have a drive shaft. :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »
piper cub specs say 680lbs dry weight with a 65hp inline 4

That would be a "horizontally opposed" four ("flat four").

The tires and wheels on the pictured contraption are weigh too heavy for an aircraft of that size  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »

The tires and wheels on the pictured contraption are weigh too heavy for an aircraft of that size  ;/

But... master chief!

--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »
^^^ Great.

Now I will have 'Bang. Bang. Chitty chitty bang bang' going through my head all day.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
^^^ Great.

Now I will have 'Bang. Bang. Chitty chitty bang bang' going through my head all day.

If they cut out all the singing and dick-van-dancing, that movie would be five minutes long  :facepalm:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 12:15:34 PM »
All the have to do is add some pontoons and a front skid and it would be a water craft also.  Even bigger mud tires might do the job.  I would sort of rather have that capability over flying, but all three would be very cool.  Land, Sea, and Air ATV.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »
All the have to do is add some pontoons and a front skid and it would be a water craft also.  Even bigger mud tires might do the job.  I would sort of rather have that capability over flying, but all three would be very cool.  Land, Sea, and Air ATV.

It would land on water, but I doubt it would be able to take off once landed.  Lots more friction from floats or a hull than from rolling wheels.

But, as long as you do a water-landing somewhere that has a suitable beachhead to roll up onto, and an open area to get back in the air, yeah... it'd be cool.  But if you have the open area for take-off anyways, might as well land there rather than the water.
--Lysander Spooner

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
Well, you wouldn't  know if there were unseen obstructions in the field, maybe some stuff on the beach would need to be moved before using it to takeoff. And, you could fish from it!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
It would land on water, but I doubt it would be able to take off once landed.  Lots more friction from floats or a hull than from rolling wheels.

just fill the big balloon tires with helium, and you're good to go.

better yet. a dirigible type removable airframe!  just tie it down before removing it.....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:12:00 PM by geronimotwo »