Author Topic: For those using Duck Duck Go  (Read 630 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
For those using Duck Duck Go
« on: March 10, 2022, 12:12:11 PM »
They've gone google

NOT the way to go, BRO! Duck Duck Go CEO blasted for bragging about how they’re now manipulating search results
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/03/10/not-the-way-to-go-bro-duck-duck-go-ceo-blasted-for-bragging-about-how-theyre-now-manipulating-search-results/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: For those using Duck Duck Go
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 12:37:41 PM »
That's a bummer, just switched back to Brave.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 01:10:00 PM »
Does Brave have a search engine?  I thought it was just a browser.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 01:15:34 PM »
That's very disappointing. I have no idea what an equivalent replacement would be.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 01:45:50 PM »
Does Brave have a search engine?  I thought it was just a browser.

yes.

https://search.brave.com/

"beta"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 02:14:46 PM »
DuckDuckGo was started and has been run by leftists, so this shouldn't be a big surprise.  In fact, what does surprise me is that they didn't do this earlier.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 08:12:49 PM »
Check out neeva.com
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 09:49:11 PM »
Back to Brave for me as well.  Duck Duck Go won’t let me respond on APS for some reason so I was using Safari for a bit.  Not anymore

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 10:58:44 PM »
Gabriel Weinberg.

This is my shocked face.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 09:20:24 AM »
DuckDuckGo was started and has been run by leftists, so this shouldn't be a big surprise.  In fact, what does surprise me is that they didn't do this earlier.
It's funny that they're pulling this crap shortly after they started running those "Your business is none of our business" commercials on TV.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 09:55:40 AM »
Things that make one go, "Hmmm...".  A couple of conservative news sites, The Gateway Pundit and Whatfinger News specifically, claimed that DDG was not showing their home pages in search results.  I tested that and found it to be untrue.  Both sites came up at the top of DDGs search results.
Has DDG had a change of heart?  Are some conservative news sites lying about this issue?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 09:59:46 AM »
Things that make one go, "Hmmm...".  A couple of conservative news sites, The Gateway Pundit and Whatfinger News specifically, claimed that DDG was not showing their home pages in search results.  I tested that and found it to be untrue.  Both sites came up at the top of DDGs search results.
Has DDG had a change of heart?  Are some conservative news sites lying about this issue?

Or maybe it's a moving target
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2022, 10:40:22 AM »

The curating remark came straight from the DDG boss, so  I don't think it's lying, but more likely DDG damage control. In a NY Times article linked somewhere around here recently, even lefties were defending DDG for their strong privacy and "hands off" policy. DDG may be realizing that they totally screwed the pooch here and will be cancelled by the full political spectrum if they start emulating gazoogle.

Gabriel Weinberg
@yegg
In addition to down-ranking sites associated with disinformation, we also often place news modules and information boxes at the top of DuckDuckGo search results (where they are seen and clicked the most) to highlight quality information for rapidly unfolding topics.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2022, 11:18:39 AM »
"... to highlight quality information..."

i'm disappointed to hear all this, though it's not yet clear to me whether I should avoid duckduckgo or not.

"Quality" implies a judgement, so who's doing the judging?

And with respect to "curating," isn't there some kind of legal complulsion to store data?  This is all new to me, but aren't phone companies required to keep records of phone transactions for law enforcement purposes?  I'm thinking there might be an analogy there.

Legal requirements aside, aren't there strong profit motivations to "curate" search information, just as there are strong profit motivations to just say that you don't, even though you do?

Call this paranoia, or call it geriatric experience, but I learned long ago to not 100% completely trust anything where there is more than one single dollar involved.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 11:30:40 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.