Author Topic: Mass murder. Some thoughts.  (Read 427 times)

grampster

• friend
Mass murder. Some thoughts.
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »

Another school shooting and multiple murder in Las Vegas. I'm not trying to be callous here, but if the problem is random murder by disjointed people, in my view there is no answer to the problem. Not in a free society. Not in any society. Humans who pillage for ill gotten gains have been killing multiple innocent and not so innocent people since, well, forever. Sometimes on a grand scale if you consider seeking ill gotten gains to be tyranny and genocide on a national scale. Some people kill just because they can. Others because the voices in their heads tell them to. The reasons for multiple slayings are rarely comprehensible. Humanity has never solved the aforementioned variety of murderous ways to this day. In the streets and alleys of the larger cities 50 or a hundred people murder and injure hundreds every weekend with regularity and it hardly gets ink. So what would make anyone believe that there is any way to stop 50 or a hundred unstable sociopaths from carrying out their murderous fantasy in a mall or a school every so often over a year? More ineffective gun laws? Not hardly. It hasn't worked so far. In fact, for example the states with Shall Issue concealed carry, No Retreat laws and the Castle Doctrine are safer states than states with draconian and many times nonsensical gun laws. Gun Free Zones are not safer zones. They have proven to be abattoirs.

We have 315 million plus people in America with a plethora of ways to titillate the Id of an unbalanced person that would cause he or she to go on a rampage. It is unfortunate and I understand the angst of the families of victims. I don't understand the ignorance of those who observe the carnage who believe that somehow it can be solved. Reality and history flies in the face of it. It can't be solved, only countered! Even if everyone lost every bit of their liberty and was ordered to stay indoors, somebody would break out and do their deed. So is there an answer? Is there something that can be done?

The only reasonable thing for people to do is to be prepared to protect yourself and yours as best you can. Being prepared is not living in fear as some will say. Being prepared is the common sense that the unprepared call for. There are many ways to prepare. For instance instead of punishing children for defending themselves, they should rather be trained up in the ways and means of protecting themselves and encouraging them to learn how to defend themselves. It appears the woeful experiment in pacifism preached by the unprepared is a bust and each of us need to consider going back to the old ways of interacting that we learned decades ago before the pacifists began to hold sway. We have more bullies today for a lot of reasons. One of which is we tolerate them by not allowing their target to give them a good thrashing. Teach and encourage kids to stand up for themselves and support them for it. Perhaps if Americans decided to stop being a nation of sheep, the wolves might just not be so actively culling the flock. However, in the end it needs to be understood that preparation won't always work all of the time either. Nothing is perfect. The guy in Walmart who was the armed hero, who the media conveniently refuse to credit for his heroism, got shot dead by the 2nd party he didn't know about who was behind him. But at least he may have saved countless lives with his sacrifice. I honor him for that.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Mass murder. Some thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
Mass murder. Some thoughts.

I was going to say that in general I am against it  :angel:

in my view there is no answer to the problem

Yeah  =(   Some days the dragon wins.

Even the two presumably armed cops were caught by surprise.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Mass murder. Some thoughts.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »
Can't argue with anything the OP wrote.

On a semi-related note, I came across this snarky essay on how mass murders are used (subconsciously or otherwise) to "validate" our previously held opinions:

http://mindhacks.com/2013/09/21/this-complex-and-tragic-event-supports-my-own-view/

The money quote:

It is clear that the main cause of this shooting was the thing I disliked before the mass shooting happened. I want to disingenuously imply that if my ideas were more widely accepted, this tragedy could have been averted.

Do we want more young people to die because other people don’t agree with me?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden