Author Topic: Weird Website Issue  (Read 430 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Weird Website Issue
« on: December 13, 2020, 08:59:14 AM »
So I'm running into a weird website issue. As many know, I'm now a big fan of the Epoch Times and subscribe to them. I like to go to their website daily.

For the last few weeks, I've had several occasions where I get a timeout going to their site - but only, apparently via my ISP. I've tried to monitor it and experiment a bit. I think I have found the following:

When it happens, if  I go to my phone instead of computer, if the phone is on my wireless, I get the same timeout. If I switch to LTE on the phone,  I get to the site lickity split. If  I switch on my VPN,  I get to the site no problem. If I hotspot the phone to the computer on LTE, I get to the website on the computer.

I'm on fixed wireless, so I point to one tower, but I notice that even though I point to that geographic location, when I do an IP trace, I am sometimes located in Oregon and sometimes in Idaho. I think... I THINK that when the timeout happens, it's when I'm showing and Idaho location. Yesterday I was "in Idaho" and couldn't get to the website all day. This morning, I'm "in Oregon" and no problems with access.

This seems to indicate that this is on my ISP's end, but I can't figure out why the same ISP would block (or not) the same IP address based on my supposed location, especially since I'm using the same tower. This only happens with the US Epoch Times. Even when that one timeouts, if I go to the German Epoch Times for instance, no problems ever.

Am I missing something?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Weird Website Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 09:03:55 AM »
Did you try rebooting?

That's all I got  :rofl:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Weird Website Issue
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »
'm on fixed wireless, so I point to one tower, but I notice that even though I point to that geographic location, when I do an IP trace, I am sometimes located in Oregon and sometimes in Idaho. I think... I THINK that when the timeout happens, it's when I'm showing and Idaho location. Yesterday I was "in Idaho" and couldn't get to the website all day. This morning, I'm "in Oregon" and no problems with access.

Talk to you ISP.  They're going to be buying bandwidth from various sources.  Sounds like one of them might be a bit wonky.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.